+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 121

Thread: Tannoy Lancasters

  1. #21
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    I don't want to be stroppy but if there are so many issues with the Tannoy 15" Golds and in particular with the Lancasters, why so many people are interested in buying them and why are the prices are so high?
    I know that lifting them up from the floor improves the sound but mine were sounding really nice with my friends 211 tube amp when I tried them before buying.
    Naturally I agree that their sound can be improved (that's also suggested by Troels Gravesen here: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/MG15XO-up-grade.htm), but I think that the sound of the untouched Lancaster is beautiful. On the long run of courser I am also planning to change some of the crossover parts even though I don't really want to drill any holes in the crossover box to take it apart.
    Did any of you tried Troels' crossover design?
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  2. #22
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Hello Marco,

    Did you check the value of the original capacitors before replacing them? I've read on Troels' page that some were labelled as 16uF but they were 32uF when measuring them.

    When I decided to tune the crossover I will definitely check the values :-)

    Regards,
    Vecncel
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  3. #23
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    One more thing. Someone told me that it would be worth trying Tannoy Silver's crossover design with the Golds. I guess it would need slight modifications but I would be curios how the Golds would sound with the Silver's crossover.

    Did any of you have the possibility to compare the Silver with the Golds?
    I know the Silvers and Reds are more rare and they go for more money but are they that better?
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  4. #24
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,805
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Hi László,

    Did you not click the link I posted to the circuit diagram I used? If you had done, you'd have noticed that it was Troels'

    And it works a treat! But I chose my own components....

    As for "problems" with Monitor Golds, well no speakers are perfect, and of course it's all down to personal taste. Some people like the sound of Lancasters 'as is', and others will want to 'modernise' their presentation.

    Also, some Monitor Gold drive units were better matched with their original crossovers than others, and better pair matched too, and some components in the original crossovers will be running at closer to their original specification than others - all of which means that the performance of any given pair of Lancasters (or any vintage Tannoys) will vary depending on all of the above

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & regulator mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat with Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight. Isonoe feet & boots. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm with Denon DL-103GL in a Denon PCL-300 headshell, fitted with Funk Firm Houdini and Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp and Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp, fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

  5. #25
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    László

    I think that the issue is really that these old speakers do need a bit of updating, particularly in the crossovers. After all, you would expect electrolytic capacitors in a 40 year old amp to need changing, so the same must apply to speakers. I shall certainly put in some good polypropylene caps but whether I change the entire circuit is something to think about. I don't want to change the cabinets because they're such a handy size and do not dominate a room.

    I think that the prices are so high simply because of the Monitor Gold drive units. Having heard Marco's Lockwood Majors and Montesquieu's, both of which are in pretty large enclosures, I can hear the potential of these drivers. Both have been 'breathed upon' though.

    My amplification is shown below in my signature.


    Marco

    I'm sure you're right about lifting them up a tad. The Stillpoints Component stands will only lift them by around 70mm because of the recessed plinth at the base of the speakers, but that should be enough to make a difference.

  6. #26
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Hello Marco,

    I opened and read this link from your post (http://www.guitars-of-love.com/tanno...ssovermods.htm) but I did not realize it is Troels'.
    I totally agree with you about Golds sound and people's taste but so far I've read more negative opinions than positive.

    Could you share with me what components did you use? Did you also try brands suggested by Troels?
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  7. #27
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,805
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Hi László,

    Did you check the value of the original capacitors before replacing them?
    Yup!

    I know the Silvers and Reds are more rare and they go for more money but are they that better?
    Well, "better" is of course highly subjective... However, in my opinion, they're certainly better through the presence region in the crucial midrange (in fact, utterly magical there), but Silvers don't have much bottom end, even 15" ones (as they weren't really designed for the rock and pop era), although Reds fare rather better in that respect, but don't do really deep bass, like Golds.

    However, the price one pays on eBay, and such like, for Reds and Silvers is probably more to do with rarity value and collectability, than anything else!

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & regulator mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat with Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight. Isonoe feet & boots. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm with Denon DL-103GL in a Denon PCL-300 headshell, fitted with Funk Firm Houdini and Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp and Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp, fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

  8. #28
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    László

    I think that the prices are so high simply because of the Monitor Gold drive units. Having heard Marco's Lockwood Majors and Montesquieu's, both of which are in pretty large enclosures, I can hear the potential of these drivers. Both have been 'breathed upon' though.
    This means sooner or later I should also invest in one of these Lockwood cabinets?! I was asking around which enclosure is mostly suggested for the Tannoy 15" Golds but I did not receive any definite answer.

    Marco,
    Could you maybe send me some photos of your Lockwood Majors and maybe a plan for it? Are these Lockwoods also use the 15" Gold?
    I would really appreciate that.
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  9. #29
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,805
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    See my post here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12937

    As for plans... I bought my Lockwood Majors as complete units with 15" Monitor Reds inside (later swapped for Golds), but if you contact Roger at Lockwood, he should be able to advise:

    http://www.lockwoodaudio.co.uk/

    He's extremely approachable and helpful, so don't be afraid to contact him!

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & regulator mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat with Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight. Isonoe feet & boots. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm with Denon DL-103GL in a Denon PCL-300 headshell, fitted with Funk Firm Houdini and Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp and Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp, fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

  10. #30
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    OK - some pictures:





    And a view of a Stillpoints Component Stand supporting the Lancasters:



    Lifting the Lancasters up a bit has improved the sound, but there is clearly much more to be had. When stoked up (they are relatively inefficient compared to the Avalons) there is quite a lot of heft to kick drums etc but the whole lacks musicality against the Avalons. It feels like they don't "breathe' particularly well. The Sinatra LP that I took over to Martin's last week is not particularly engaging played through the Lancasters and I have an unpleasant feeling that the Monitor Golds really need a bigger enclosure like Marco's Lockwoods or Tom's GRFs - greater size is the one parameter that I cannot accommodate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •