Hello Hugo,
I also have the same Lancaster enclosure and I was advised to leave it closed as the closed box sounds better. As I know Tannoy made these boxes in 2 versions: vented and closed. I think they started with the vented version and then they covered the opening to make it closed. Probably they had many enclosures already manufactured with a vent so they just simple covered the vents :-)
I will try to open the crossover to check the pats in it because I also think that some of the caps might get out of tolerance.
It would be nice to know which components are suggested to be changed and what replacement caps did other people used and suggest.
I have a very dumb question: why do these Tannoys have the TREBLE roll-off and energy level setting? I tried them but I am not confident if I should regularly adjust them according to the recording I am listening or I should only adjust it once to my amplifier and to my liking and then I should leave it on that level?
Regards,
László
System
Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm
SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio
Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro
Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX
Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2
Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP
Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects
Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers
Power: Accuphase PS-1200