+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 84

Thread: The Video Games Headquarters

  1. #71
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: Southampton, UK

    Posts: 1,446
    I'm Lee.

    Default

    Right, ok. I think there's roughly £60 difference twixt the two.
    Lee

    Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

    Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

    Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

    Last.fm

  2. #72
    Alex_UK's Avatar
    Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Sunny Suffolk, UK

    Posts: 18,563
    I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

    Default

    Also depends if you want to download and save games direct to the hard drive - expansion packs, etc. I also store HD videos we'ver shot (of Avatar, before anyone says anything!) and I also have Play TV (basically a freeview box, which turns your PS3 into a PVR) so having lots of space for Charlie & Lola is a godsend!
    Alex

    Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery


    A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

    There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

  3. #73
    Join Date: Jul 2009

    Location: Birmingham, UK

    Posts: 2,238
    I'm Dan.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Also depends if you want to download and save games direct to the hard drive - expansion packs, etc. I also store HD videos we'ver shot (of Avatar, before anyone says anything!) and I also have Play TV (basically a freeview box, which turns your PS3 into a PVR) so having lots of space for Charlie & Lola is a godsend!
    I heard you could much more cheaply expand an Xbox by plugging in a memory stick.... Is that possible with the PS3?

  4. #74
    Alex_UK's Avatar
    Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Sunny Suffolk, UK

    Posts: 18,563
    I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanJennings View Post
    I heard you could much more cheaply expand an Xbox by plugging in a memory stick.... Is that possible with the PS3?
    I've never tried recording to one, but you can certainly play stuff off of them or a USB hard drive, and doesn't need any special formatting or anything. They're easy to change the hard drive on anyway, if you want to increase it - once the warranty is out, of course!
    Alex

    Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery


    A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

    There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

  5. #75
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Newport

    Posts: 391
    I'm Simon.

    Default

    I bought my PS3 just for the blu-ray as it was so competitve and defo NOT to play games.

    So I spent 3 hours the other night playing Dragon Age II

    When I were a lad I was never off the computer (C64 then Amiga 1200) and probably how I've spent the lat 22 years working in IT.

    Until I bought a PS3 I hadn't played any games at all for years but really enjoy some of them - Dirt 3 is current fave but I'm also enjoying Mass Effect 2 along with Dragon Age.

  6. #76
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Newport

    Posts: 391
    I'm Simon.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanJennings View Post
    As far as I know... you only really need a small drive for your updates and savegames etc.... I think the only upshot of a larger disc would be to store your own custom music and video files....

    Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't own one myself, but I was investigating buying an XBox 360 and that was the conclusion I came to...
    I've got the old 80gb fat boy PS3 and I've used up most the hard drive just on games - GT5 takes a shedload if you install it, so much in fact that I got rid of it in the end, and games like Bioshock 2 take about 4gb, Yakuza 4 take over 5gb as well.

    For the extra £60 I'd go for the 320gb.

  7. #77
    synsei Guest

    Default

    My route up to the current stardate was very similar to Alex-UK's, but not including an Amstrad CPC machine. I then bought my first console, a Sega Saturn (all retailers in Kings Lynn had sold out of PS1's) on which I first met Lara Croft. Spent days completing Tomb Raider and thoroughly enjoyed myself. About the same time I bought myself an Atari 1024STFM and an Amiga 1200 with Blizzard accelerator.

    Got bored with those and built my first Win98 PC: 200meg P1, SB AWE32 sound, Voodoo2 gfx and a heady 500meg ram and super fast 10gb 10000rpm IBM HD. A year and a bit down the line I sold the old machine to a mate for 100 quid refitted with cheapo HD, and built a P3 machine (800mhz P3, 1gb ram, Voodoo 5500 gfx [best gfx card ever in my book, Lara in TR2 never looked so good ], HD from old machine [too fast to give away] and onboard sound. OS was Win XP Pro.

    Used the P3 with various mem upgrades for yonks coz it outperformed anything I ran it against, 'til multicore processors reared their ugly heads, which brings me too my current machine: 3.0ghz Core-2-Duo, OC'd to 3.6ghz on air using an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. 4gb DDR2 800 OCZ Gaming ram, 800w Modular PS (forget the name of it but it's a good'un, very quiet and very white), Sapphire HD4850 gfx card, also OC'd. 1TB Samsung Spin Point F3 HD and 2TB Western Digital ext HD. Onboard sound, although I now run everything thru the Caiman via USB. OS is Win7 Home Premium 64bit. Due another upgrade soon mebe.

    Games I have enjoyed thru the years are the various versions of Elite, All versions of Tomb Raider, Various F1 sims and other driving games, the Toca series being a particular favorite. Homeworld and Homeworld 2 (Homeworld being the better of the two IMO), GTA, all versions, although the best by far, also IMO, is San Andreas, various flavours of MS Flight Sim (currently flying FSX).

    Then we get to the bane of my life, MMORPG's. I began with Runescape (please, I have feelings ya know ), then graduated to Anarchy Online, a cyberpunk themed epic (played for 7 years), dabbled with WoW for a while but didn't like it. Dabbled with EvE Online for a while too but got fed up with losing ships and equipment. I'm now play Lord Of The Rings Online, mainly because I am a massive Tolkien fan and the game simply rocks!!!

    And that's about it, for now...

  8. #78
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,359
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    ooh, nice thread.

    I work in the industry and have been since 1989 - Over 40 titles released over all platforms starting from the ST & Amiga, started on the BBC micro... lovely machine and still highly regarded for it's high level basic language.

    Two most fondest games of all time for me have to be Gauntlet, R-Type. Arcade of course as the 8 & 16bit versions were nothing but pish.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  9. #79
    Join Date: Jul 2009

    Location: Scotland

    Posts: 372
    I'm seldomaroundnow.

    Default

    The Black Adder wrote:
    Gauntlet, R-Type
    Good taste, my friend; good taste! Though, I only played the 16-bit version of R-Type.
    Simon.

  10. #80
    Join Date: Feb 2011

    Location: Sarf Lunnon

    Posts: 2,068
    I'm Dave.

    Default

    I hate video games and work for Sony playstation. How weird is that...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

    Street photography


    Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •