+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My very modest system

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default My very modest system

Hi guys, well as I've been here a couple of weeks I probably ought to stick some piccies up of my very modest main system.

First, 2 general views of the room - the "business end"

The AV End - 42" Panasonic Plasma, SKY HD box, Toshiba DVD player (never used really) Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3 and Playstation 2 - The PS3 also has the Play TV freeview box, which turns it into a PVR - Using my Sony PSP and a wireless connection I can access the PS3 remotely from anywhere in the world and watch stored TV shows or live TV, and access any stored music, videos or photos on the home network - I've got 750GB of storage hanging off another laptop in the study using Twonky Media Server to stream to any/all of the devices... Oh, and remote control lights!

Yes - that is Hendrix on the telly, and AOS on the Sony Vaio laptop!

This is a general view of the rack - the laptop is hidden away on the bottom shelf (USB to Caiman), the Xbox 360 (toslink to the Caiman) on the one above it. I can switch inputs on the screen between the 2 at the push of a button, so I can play games or watch a movie (or surf whilst wearing headphones) so Sue can still watch her soaps... (yawn) or other crap!

A close up of the top shelf - Pro-Ject RPM 4 turntable - is getting too dusty, but the cover is hideous! Note the matching vinyl - bought purely for the colour! (I know, tart!)

There is also my Roku Soundbridge, which is ace (coax to the Caiman) and a Pure ipod doc - mainly for Sue to play her ipod tunes from, or for friends to demo new tunes when they come over.

And last up, close up of the Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD player - linked to the Caiman by coax, but also to the analogue inputs on the Creek Amp, as the Caiman doesn't seem to like SACD discs. The other box is a cheapo Rotel phono stage - I don't play records downstairs much but the Garrard is in dire need of refurbishment before it gets into the main room!

Overall, I'm happy with the sound, though speaker placement is not ideal, and may be changing soon, but it all fits in pretty well without looking like a hi-fi shop!

Thanks for looking!

Alex
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Neil.

Nice set up Alex, thank you for sharing. Is it really only a couple of weeks since you joined ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Is it really only a couple of weeks since you joined ?
    Certainly is your SupremeBeingNess - blame Stan - he pointed me in this direction to check out the Caiman when I ordered the standard 7520 (not knowing the Caiman existed!) Suffice to say I chose the Caiman, then sort of stuck around like a bad penny!

It just seems longer to you because I am a "gob on a stick" (or whatever the forum equivalent would be!) Oh, and I'm always online because I haven't got any real friends!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

gob on a stick ... reminds me of a film i saw last night... wolf creek. this guy stabs a girl in the back to sever her spine and makes a joke about her becoming a "head on a stick" so he can do mingin things to her...
    was a pretty horible film to be fair!

anyway...

nice looking set up! AOS forum spotted on laptop screen! ... have you left that sofa in the last 2 weeks?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Quote Originally Posted by hamish_gill View Post
    have you left that sofa in the last 2 weeks?
    Actually, you'd be surprised how much travelling I've done, but I'm never far from a laptop!
    Alex

I'm King.

Hi Alex,
    A very interesting set up and a nice looking living room!
    I also have a Wii, Sony PS2 and PS3 at home and they are in my son’s own room at the moment as I only occasionally play those video games, but my son is an addict.
    It seems that the position of your speakers is not ideal, probably you have made a compromise between absolute sound quality and family harmony.
    King

I'm Mike.

Those speakers look very ProAc-ish, but I can't see a mention of them (maybe my eyes!).

That's the first time I've seen speakers, even in an AV based system, on adjacent walls. How d'you get any realistic imaging on them?

I did note that you considered their placement less than ideal, though, so maybe there's a logistics planning session pending.

Quote Originally Posted by kcc123 View Post
    Hi Alex,
    A very interesting set up and a nice looking living room!
    I also have a Wii, Sony PS2 and PS3 at home and they are in my son’s own room at the moment as I only occasionally play those video games, but my son is an addict.
    It seems that the position of your speakers is not ideal, probably you have made a compromise between absolute sound quality and family harmony.
    Many thanks King, yes - speaker placement is a compromise - see below in answer to Mike's Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Those speakers look very ProAc-ish, but I can't see a mention of them (maybe my eyes!).
    You're right - I didn't mention them in the commentary - (but they are in my signature in teeny writing!) - They are Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3s - I really like them, and I believe they were quite well regarded in their day for a budget floorstander, (think they were about £350) though they are probably the weak link in the system. I grew up on the "spend all your money on the source philosophy", so I've never got round to trying a decent set of speakers. Would have to be floorstanders, with the little 'un, Proac would definitely be someone I'd check out. Anyone got any other suggestions, what to look for and sort of dosh to spend would be interesting to hear.

That's the first time I've seen speakers, even in an AV based system, on adjacent walls. How d'you get any realistic imaging on them?
    Actually, they're not as bad as you might imagine but only if you are right in the "sweet spot". But, for proper listening, (i.e. when I'm on my own and the rugrat is in bed!) I just pull them out into the room and toe them out (still sligt toe in) which gets them into free space (they have a rear port at the bottom too, so like a bit of air around them).

I did note that you considered their placement less than ideal, though, so maybe there's a logistics planning session pending.
    Clsoe friends of ours have just had their living room done up, with a lovely sideboard, with plasma mounted on the wall above it (i.e. where the big picture is on the wall in my room) - the speakers would then fit in on the long wall - my wife really liked our firiends setup (but not the suggestion I had made to do this 5 years ago when we moved in! ) We shall see!
    Alex

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

AAAAHHHHHHH! I've just seen where you hail from Alex.......... Actually, it's FAR better than Lu'on, where I lived for a few years

All the audio shops have gone from there now - a shame as I once wanted to invest in one when the owner didn't want to - by the time he did, I'd used all my money up on house buying/refurbishment and living expenses Our local Naim dealer is a great guy, but is fine as he is, working from home and with a business partner for the custom-install side..
    Last edited by DSJR; 18-08-2009 at 15:23.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Funny, I was wondering myself if there are any dealers around other than Hughes - which has been fine for the Creek amp, though they are no longer dealers, I don't think. My previous purchases have been from Sevenoaks - Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich and Norwich - I know the first 2 are long gone, not sure about Norwich. Martins in Norwich used to be pretty good but not been there in a decade.
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast