+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 156

Thread: Super Tweeters - Fact or Flights of Fancy?

  1. #21
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Valley of the Hazels

    Posts: 9,143
    I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    63's don't need a supertweeter, not if they're angled back and raised off the floor a foot or two...
    They are on stands raised off the floor and angled slightly back, and defineately benefit with the HF help. The HF units are very attenuated, and roll in around 12kHz (ie just where the Quads are rolling off).

    Chris
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 18-02-2010 at 22:25. Reason: additional info and smelling pistake correctionalisationing

  2. #22
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Valley of the Hazels

    Posts: 9,143
    I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

    Default

    Ali

    Colin's on his Tang Band project at the moment; I think we're more likely to see these than the Quads.

    Chris

  3. #23
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Norfolk, UK

    Posts: 6,258
    I'm BigBobJoylove.

    Default

    When I had my Martin Logans some years back, I had a pair of Townshend super tweeters on loan (Max lives just down the road from me). It was strange, they added not only a little more air as one would expect, but they also added mid and bass clarity. I can't really explain why. I didn't go for them in the end despite the positives, the imaging was so good on the MLs that when the supertweeters were added the imaging became more two dimensional, and that was too big a price to pay.

    Had I have wanted more crispness only, then the supertweeters would have been a superb addition, with the benefits of added clarity further down the scale, but repositioning the angle of the stators cured the slightly muffled presentation (take the word slightly as 'infinitesimally'). Very expensive too at £800 a pair.

    **EDIT** They now seem to be £499 per pair.

    Lounge:
    Samsung QE65QN80F 65" QLED TV
    Echo Link streamer
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    XMOS DSD Async
    Emotiva A2+ power amplifier
    Neat Motive SX1 speakers
    Van Damme 4.00mm tour grade speaker cable
    Audiocrast Spreizbar banana plugs
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect


    Studio:
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    SMSL SU-1 DAC
    Modified Fosi P4 preamp
    Adam Audio T5Vs
    Fenton 10" active sub
    Fosi V1.0G integrated amp
    Roxel RBS 300s
    Several small valve preamps

  4. #24
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Valley of the Hazels

    Posts: 9,143
    I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Very expensive too at £800 a pair.

    **EDIT** They now seem to be £499 per pair.
    There's probably still a lot of fat in the bottom line at £499.

    Chris

  5. #25
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: Lancaster(-ish), UK

    Posts: 16,936
    I'm ChrisB.

    Default

    I found after a while that I could get a good proportion of the effect of the Coles from using open baffles (the air and ambience side of things) and later I discovered my current Mirage speakers which do the same sort of thing but add bass.
    I'd completely agree with the effect that they have on the lower regions - completely inexplicable to a logical mind!
    An impeded ability to hear high frequencies will most certainly not mean that super tweeters will do nothing for you.

  6. #26
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: KEW,Richmond

    Posts: 64
    I'm Philip.

    Default

    I use a pair of CTS Powerline piezos to give my fullrangers a bit more sparkle at the top end.I remember seeing a pair on top of Jimmy Hughes Impulse speakers i HiFi Answers many years ago.

  7. #27
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Norfolk, UK

    Posts: 6,258
    I'm BigBobJoylove.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    There's probably still a lot of fat in the bottom line at £499.

    Chris
    I don't doubt that for one second mate!

    Lounge:
    Samsung QE65QN80F 65" QLED TV
    Echo Link streamer
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    XMOS DSD Async
    Emotiva A2+ power amplifier
    Neat Motive SX1 speakers
    Van Damme 4.00mm tour grade speaker cable
    Audiocrast Spreizbar banana plugs
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect


    Studio:
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    SMSL SU-1 DAC
    Modified Fosi P4 preamp
    Adam Audio T5Vs
    Fenton 10" active sub
    Fosi V1.0G integrated amp
    Roxel RBS 300s
    Several small valve preamps

  8. #28
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: S-ex

    Posts: 523
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    It's a well known fact that you can't hear much above 15Khz but you can certainly hear a super tweeter in operation - it adds air and space and is difficult to do without once you have heard it.

    Back in the early 80's I used to have a pair of cheapo Piezo super-tweets on flying leads with croc clips on the end. I used to tack them on to any and every speaker I got my hands on and most agreed that it was an improvement. I don't think it cost more than 8 quid to do....
    My understanding is that the effect of supertweeters has more to do with how we process and perceive sound, rather than extending the audible spectrum. It's the same for sub bass, but you notice and feel the inaudible vibration more readily . The processing of real sound (as opposed to reproduced sound) by the human 'DAC' must consider these vibrations which are detected by the body - converting sound vibrations to a perceived 'realistic' sound.

    These cheap Piezo horn supertweeters are still available from Maplin; they just need a resistor in line to minimise the output and you can have a play for less than £10. I used them on TDL transmission line floorstanders for years and they did as much for bass texture and tone as they did for creating additonal air and space - I felt they just made the reproduced sound for all frequencies more real!

    I'll try to find the Jimmy Hughes article and post it.
    Steve & Valerie

    www.electricbeachaudio.com

    If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

    A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

  9. #29
    Join Date: Dec 2009

    Location: Hadrians Wall

    Posts: 313

    Default

    These cheap Piezo horn supertweeters are still available from Maplin; they just need a resistor in line to minimise the output and you can have a play for less than £10. I used them on TDL transmission line floorstanders for years and they did as much for bass texture and tone as they did for creating additonal air and space - I felt they just made the reproduced sound for all frequencies more real!
    Ok, I'm up for it at that price. What's the resister value?

    I'll try to find the Jimmy Hughes article and post it.
    On condition I don't have to turn up the corners of my curtains with safety pins.

  10. #30
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Norfolk, UK

    Posts: 6,258
    I'm BigBobJoylove.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by electric beach View Post
    These cheap Piezo horn supertweeters are still available from Maplin; they just need a resistor in line to minimise the output and you can have a play for less than £10.
    These ones?:

    Link image


    What resistor value would you use?

    Lounge:
    Samsung QE65QN80F 65" QLED TV
    Echo Link streamer
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    XMOS DSD Async
    Emotiva A2+ power amplifier
    Neat Motive SX1 speakers
    Van Damme 4.00mm tour grade speaker cable
    Audiocrast Spreizbar banana plugs
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect


    Studio:
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    SMSL SU-1 DAC
    Modified Fosi P4 preamp
    Adam Audio T5Vs
    Fenton 10" active sub
    Fosi V1.0G integrated amp
    Roxel RBS 300s
    Several small valve preamps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •