+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 156

Thread: Super Tweeters - Fact or Flights of Fancy?

  1. #11
    Join Date: Apr 2009

    Location: Near Saffron Walden, Essex

    Posts: 7,361
    I'm Dave.

    Default

    It's a well known fact that you can't hear much above 15Khz but you can certainly hear a super tweeter in operation - it adds air and space and is difficult to do without once you have heard it.

    Back in the early 80's I used to have a pair of cheapo Piezo super-tweets on flying leads with croc clips on the end. I used to tack them on to any and every speaker I got my hands on and most agreed that it was an improvement. I don't think it cost more than 8 quid to do....

  2. #12
    Join Date: Dec 2009

    Location: Hadrians Wall

    Posts: 313

    Default

    I should just add that I'm open minded about it, just extremely sceptical. . . .

  3. #13
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Galashiels

    Posts: 14,034
    I'm inthescottishmafia.

    Default

    So was I till I heard it for myself.

  4. #14
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: France

    Posts: 3,209
    I'm notAlone.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I should just add that I'm open minded about it, just extremely sceptical. . . .
    I find this a sane attitude Kris, I'm the same as you. But when I see some hardcore objectivists use them, my logic gets alerted.
    Myself I postponed buying supertweeters because I had more severe problems to address with my system.
    Dimitri.

    In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

  5. #15
    Join Date: Dec 2009

    Location: Hadrians Wall

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Themis View Post
    Myself I postponed buying supertweeters because I had more severe problems to address with my system.
    Yeah, I know the feeling. Lack of speaker terminals on the Dansette . . .

  6. #16
    Join Date: Jan 2010

    Location: Oxford

    Posts: 872
    I'm NotSoPissedOffNowCosMyHiFisUnpacked.

    Default

    Anyone got any comments on these

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Tannoy-Pre...item4cecd621b2

    The look nice but thats normally enough for me!!!
    Ian
    http://www.hifisounds.co.uk

    Photo bucket - loads of mods!

    SL1200- DIY PSU- DIY FET int regs-Denon DL103 by Expert Stylus Company on Isokenetic stabiliser & Sumiko HS-12 shell- Achromat - Isonoe feet, Meridian 200 Phono satge, Junson JA-88D, Audio Aero Capitole CD/ DAC, extreme modified Marantz SA7001, Squeezebox Touch modded to death!, Focal 826WSE- Kimber 8TC, Kimber and CAT5 attenuated DIY Interconnects, Kimber mains

    "Leave Nothing as Standard"

  7. #17
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

    Posts: 14,540
    I'm David.

    Default

    The Coles super tweeters in my BC2's do still work, although they're wired out of phase with the HF1300 in an attempt to reduce the 14KHz resonance in the Celestions.. To be honest, they just help hf dispersion a tad, but little else..

    I read and saw measurements on the Tannoy super-tweeter pods, which actually came in at a perfectly audible 8 - 10KHz and only went out to 28KHz or so before rolling out. I suspect their main function is to smooth out the wayward pepperpots in the main drivers or, bearing in mind the prestige series sound so mellow, to liven things up a little..
    I can't go on and I can't go back, I don't feel so matter of fact,
    I tried and tried to make good sense, What's the good to try it all again?

  8. #18
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Valley of the Hazels

    Posts: 9,143
    I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

    Default

    Ali

    Have you heard Colin's ESL63's with the Fostex supertweeter ?
    The combination took a fair bit of tweaking to get right, but they sound absolutely stunning.
    I last heard them being driven by Nick's 211 amp, and the combination was just awesome.

    Chris

  9. #19
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

    Posts: 14,540
    I'm David.

    Default

    63's don't need a supertweeter, not if they're angled back and raised off the floor a foot or two...
    I can't go on and I can't go back, I don't feel so matter of fact,
    I tried and tried to make good sense, What's the good to try it all again?

  10. #20
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Galashiels

    Posts: 14,034
    I'm inthescottishmafia.

    Default

    Chris,no I haven't.Perhaps he'll bring them to Owston.

    Dave,have you tried supertweeters with 63's?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •