+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Mike New Bearing Base Plate

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Mike.

Default The Mike New Bearing Base Plate

This article is to visually document on how to install the Mike New Bearing Base Plate into your beloved Technics SL-1200 Mark 2 Turntable. Given that I have twins, I purchased two from Mike. The purpose of this visual article is to give guidance on how to attach the base plate to your TT with very little difficulty. If you have questions about the undertaking of this project, you should always ask for guidance. If there are any conflicts with the answers you get, Mike New (not Mike as in me) has the final say since it is his product.

I take no responsibility on how your project turns out. Unless of course the results are spectacular , then of course, I take full credit. If you are a DIY'er, you should not have any difficulty, or very little difficulty at most, if you follow the steps outlined.

This document will be broken up into several sections for clarity.

The project took me 3 hours to complete for the first TT, 2 hours for the second. I was not in any hurry to complete the project. Your time may vary.

The tools I used to complete this project is:
    Plyers or wrench - have 2 handy
    Screwdriver and bits
    Drill
    Drill Bits - 5 and 10mm are recommended (yes you will need two different sizes)
    Flashlight - in case you loose them screws somewhere
    Allen or Hex Key
    Smoothing File
    Ruler
    Eye Protection

If you need to remove the external power supply (which is recommended by Mike New to use his Bearings) you may need the additional parts to remove the wiring:
    Soldering Iron
    Solder
    Solder Remover

A recommendation someone had was to use clamps to hold the TT in place during drilling. If you have them, you may want to make them available.

Now with all this said, let the "fun" begin.
    Last edited by CableMaker1; 25-08-2011 at 23:58.
    Anyone who thinks CDs sound better needs to listen to my system. Besides, my cables sound better than yours.

Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-1: MN Bearing + Baseplate + AL/CU Platter, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME V, Audio Technica AT33EV, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable
    Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-2: MN Bearing + Baseplate, Copper Mat, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME 309, Audio Technica ATOC9/MLII, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable

+ Reply to Thread