PDA

View Full Version : New Footy Season 2017/18 ..How's your team doing?

Pages : [1] 2 3

struth
19-06-2017, 21:42
New season beckons so a new thread.

Celtic I see have signed J Hayes from Aberdeen and got a decent draw for Euro qualifiers... nice one there. Gers have now signed Columbian, Alfredo Morelos(20) from the Finnish league side HJK.. Young striker may turn out to be a good investment. We start euros with a team from Luxemburg, so decent and fairly close too.

struth
20-06-2017, 18:03
I see we have acquired the services of man city academy director, Mark Allen as director of football. Looks to be a good move for us, and hope he brings some great info of available young talent etc.

rmcin626
21-06-2017, 16:28
Hopefully a better season this time round

struth
21-06-2017, 16:35
Yes Robin, lets hope we can put in a strong challenge this year. The 2 Mexicans are apparently in town again too, this time to stay, so they will be signed shortly I expect. Would like to see some more, but time will tell. Sure a few guys will leave too.

rmcin626
21-06-2017, 17:22
Didn't see the Mexicans on the flight last night from Cancun

struth
21-06-2017, 17:38
Didn't see the Mexicans on the flight last night from Cancun

saw a pic they posted of them supposedly on a plane. I see the Strip deal with Ashley has been torn up and a new one put in place so folk can start buying again. will add some needed cash into the coffers

rmcin626
21-06-2017, 18:44
saw a pic they posted of them supposedly on a plane. I see the Strip deal with Ashley has been torn up and a new one put in place so folk can start buying again. will add some needed cash into the coffers

About time they sorted things with Sports direct

Marco
21-06-2017, 20:01
New season beckons so a new thread.

Celtic I see have signed J Hayes from Aberdeen and got a decent draw for Euro qualifiers... nice one there. Gers have now signed Columbian, Alfredo Morelos(20) from the Finnish league side HJK.. Young striker may turn out to be a good investment. We start euros with a team from Luxemburg, so decent and fairly close too.

Good luck in the Europa League, mate (same applies to Robin). It's important that all Scottish clubs do well, to help increase our co-efficient!

I reckon Hayes will be a good signing. He has a proven goalscoring record in the SPL, and so will defo strengthen our squad, whilst weakening Aberdeen's (our current closest rivals).

However, I'm still waiting on us making significant multi-million pound signings, bringing in some big names in the process, (by using the cash we got from the Champions League last season, plus 50,000 current season ticket sales), which will significantly strengthen our first team for a proper crack at the CL this season - and with the first qualifying game just around the corner...

In that respect, from what I can see, there's a distinct lack of activity..... BR and his staff must still be on holiday!!

Marco.

struth
21-06-2017, 20:29
Good luck in the Europa League, mate (same applies to Robin). It's important that all Scottish clubs do well, to help increase our co-efficient!

I reckon Hayes will be a good signing. He has a proven goalscoring record in the SPL, and so will defo strengthen our squad, whilst weakening Aberdeen's (our current closest rivals).

However, I'm still waiting on us making significant multi-million pound signings, bringing in some big names in the process, (by using the cash we got from the Champions League last season, plus 50,000 current season ticket sales), which will significantly strengthen our first team for a proper crack at the CL this season - and with the first qualifying game just around the corner...

In that respect, from what I can see, there's a distinct lack of activity..... BR and his staff must still be on holiday!!

Marco.

yeah, its coming way too quick tbh, and its a bit of a lottery as to whether the team is going to be up and running. Guess its gonna be interesting tho.
Celtic and their lack of buying? lots of reasons and Im sure the board are thinking up more every week :ner: No, I think they will have some guys in their sights and are holding off as per til they see how the wind blows. Of course there is always the risk of missing everyone this way but its not an uncommon way for Celtic to approach things; especially when they are far ahead. Might be in talks with a few players.

struth
22-06-2017, 22:10
Well another 2 signings'/ 2 Mexicans brings total to 8. It has indeed been a busy window. Getting them all to play together quickly is going to be difficult.

Marco
23-06-2017, 07:52
Who knows, mate? They might just all click together and be great... I think you'll see what Pedro's really made of now.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be the most interesting Rangers team ever, and for your sake (and mine, as I want a strong challenge from you guys this season), let's hope that it's 'interesting' for all the right reasons! ;)

I'm certainly looking forward to watching them play. One bonus is that the team and style of play will be a completely unknown quantity for opposition managers, so you have to take advantage of that 'surprise factor' for as long as possible!

Marco.

struth
23-06-2017, 10:23
Who knows, mate? They might just all click together and be great... I think you'll see what Pedro's really made of now.

One thing's for sure, it's going to be the most interesting Rangers team ever, and for your sake (and mine, as I want a strong challenge from you guys this season), let's hope that it's 'interesting' for all the right reasons! ;)

I'm certainly looking forward to watching them play. One bonus is that the team and style of play will be a completely unknown quantity for opposition managers, so you have to take advantage of that 'surprise factor' for as long as possible!

Marco.

yup, I cant remember when there was so much excitement in the gers fans ranks... hope its not going to crash and burn :eyebrows: still I see we have picked up your highly rated goallie, 18 year old Scottish international, Aidan McAdam. A brave decision by the lad. Im very pleased to get him as he will be a future star I'm sure

struth
29-06-2017, 21:06
well, Rangers 6 years out of Europe ended with a 1-0 win ... Good first half performance and goal from old yin Kenny Miller. Second hal was poor but only to be expected as we are still in close season. % days and the return tie. the clean sheet gives us the edge, or should plus 5 more days of fitness and practice.
Alas St Johnstone got beat 2-1

Marco
30-06-2017, 07:50
Yup, well done to Rangers, and good luck for the second leg. Shame about St Johnstone. Let's hope they can turn it round in the next leg.

Marco.

rmcin626
30-06-2017, 09:35
Hopefully both teams will make it through to the next round.

rmcin626
04-07-2017, 19:51
Shocking, embarrassing and devoid of ideas just when you thought it couldn't any worse, outplayed by a part time team

Marco
04-07-2017, 20:28
Oh dear, that's poor... :doh:

Marco.

struth
05-07-2017, 09:58
Team was unfit. Had few ideas, and were leaderless. How wallace gets a game far less capt is a mystery. He is hopeless at both. Tavs is worse. The new lads? Well its too early to condemn, but they never did anything ...period.

So, niko was probably only guy to get pass marks but he doesnt have 90 mins in him. Supposedly a mid and an attacking mid to come, but we also need 2 fullbacks that can be counted on. I am still on fence re goallie. He can be very good but can also be poor.
Scary times ahead if these points are not sorted.

On to the manager....he needs a rethink on some of his tactics, and needs to shut his mouth and get on with the job. Obviously we all say he and his players need time but he has had time. Personally, i fancied graeme murty. He got a response from poor players and got on with job.

rmcin626
05-07-2017, 10:52
Team was unfit. Had few ideas, and were leaderless. How wallace gets a game far less capt is a mystery. He is hopeless at both. Tavs is worse. The new lads? Well its too early to condemn, but they never did anything ...period.

So, niko was probably only guy to get pass marks but he doesnt have 90 mins in him. Supposedly a mid and an attacking mid to come, but we also need 2 fullbacks that can be counted on. I am still on fence re goallie. He can be very good but can also be poor.
Scary times ahead if these points are not sorted.

On to the manager....he needs a rethink on some of his tactics, and needs to shut his mouth and get on with the job. Obviously we all say he and his players need time but he has had time. Personally, i fancied graeme murty. He got a response from poor players and got on with job.
Last night was a shambles now they will to try and arrange some last minute friendly games as they have nothing planned for the next couple of weeks.

struth
05-07-2017, 11:00
Paddypower have said they will pay out on Celtic league win now BEFORE a ball is kicked. how good is this for Scottish football trying to get investment in?

and yes, we will need to find some friendlies quick. nothing now planned for a month. Overall its better we go out now. a better team would have murdered us. 5 days extra training didnt help.

rmcin626
05-07-2017, 12:29
Paddypower have said they will pay out on Celtic league win now BEFORE a ball is kicked. how good is this for Scottish football trying to get investment in?

and yes, we will need to find some friendlies quick. nothing now planned for a month. Overall its better we go out now. a better team would have murdered us. 5 days extra training didnt help.

A number of them looked well off the pace last night, probably better to get the pain over quickly

struth
09-07-2017, 10:37
A number of them looked well off the pace last night, probably better to get the pain over quickly

lol, yes probably... starting to believe Pedro is a Celtic plant;) we were much better with Murty at the helm.

Marco
09-07-2017, 12:54
lol, yes probably... starting to believe Pedro is a Celtic plant;)

Course he is - before he joined Rangers, he was a self-confessed Celtic fan!

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/922/cdFps5.jpg

You don't have that tattooed on your arm for nothing... :lol:

Marco.

struth
09-07-2017, 12:58
thought so

Marco
09-07-2017, 15:28
I think it's been Photoshopped... ;)

Marco.

struth
09-07-2017, 15:33
Dave is currently searching pedro for tatoos etc

rmcin626
09-07-2017, 16:13
Dave is currently searching pedro for tatoos etc

He is the manager at the moment but not convinced he will still be there at Xmas

Marco
09-07-2017, 16:41
After our 0-9 demolition yesterday of Shamrock Rovers [some of our forward play was nothing short of sensational], I'll settle for the same result in Belfast on Friday against Linfileld, in the 1st round of the Champions League qualifiers! :)

Meanwhile, I think this boy could prove to be a quality signing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40547658

We also need to sign another central defender, as cover for Boyata, who's now out injured for 3 months.

Marco.

struth
09-07-2017, 16:49
saw you were getting him... about 4 mil they say. decent aggressive mid... Yup you see your winning first game etc. folk say gers need time but they have been training for a month. played a under 20's team with a few overage players agin Tynecastle fc... got beat again. Im of the opinion there is something far wrong there somewhere. no idea what but it seems a big problem that these guys cant beat a wee team like that.

Marco
09-07-2017, 19:55
I would agree, as it seems that way. However, I think he needs to be given a dozen games in the league and cup before he can be conclusively judged. it must be a real nightmare now being a Rangers fan, as all the uncertainty is a killer.

Marco.

struth
12-07-2017, 21:36
I see you've got nitcham Marco. Nice signing for you I think

Marco
12-07-2017, 22:01
Yeah, 4.5m, mate. He looks like quality, and is a pal of Dembele. Just the sort of signing I was looking for. However, we also need another quality central defender, as cover for Boyata.

However, I don't see any other major signings being made until we qualify for the CL group stages, as if we don't get there it would be a massive waste of money.

Marco.

struth
02-08-2017, 17:19
Talking of the money gap, PSG are buying Neymar from Barcelona for £198 million...crazy!!! and his wages are going to be more astonishing at about £650,000 a week tax free. have to say it puts me off footy a bit, but what can you do if a team has a billionaire owner who must have his toys.

On a much lower key, the Scottish premiership starts on Sat.

in Europe, Celtic have the return leg of their qualifying match against Rosenburg... match is even at 0-0...good luck to them

rmcin626
02-08-2017, 18:08
Yeah, good luck to Celtic tonight

HackneyRF
02-08-2017, 18:48
Yes good luck to Celtic. Always like seeing the Scottish, English and Welsh teams doing well in Europe regardless. I even shouted for The Villa in 81 i think it was, in the European cup! Wish me luck this coming weekend. I'll be going to watch Coventry City play in the fourth division for the first time since 1958 on Saturday against Notts County. Its probably worth mentioning that the last time I saw them play one another was in the old First Division in 1985. Oh how are the mighty fallen!

Marco
02-08-2017, 21:42
Cheers, guys! We got through what was always going to be a very difficult tie (with no recognised fully fit strikers), by winning the away leg 0-1, so I'm well happy :)

However, the next game is the crucial one, and that'll be even harder. If we get through that one and into the CL proper, I'd expect us to sign another striker, as Dembele looks like he'll be out until September. Onwards and upwards! :cool:

Marco.

Stratmangler
03-08-2017, 10:41
Nine days to go - City away to Brighton :)

Marco
07-08-2017, 05:26
Wins for both Celtic and Rangers in the SPL... Robin and Granty, were you happy with how Rangers played?

Can you see significant progress having been made since last season, with this new team? Dorrans looks like he could net you a few goals this season:)

Marco.

rmcin626
07-08-2017, 09:21
Thought the first half yesterday looked promising, not sure about a couple of the new signings but early days and long way to get yet.

struth
07-08-2017, 09:47
going forward they were creative, but had no-one who can finish. still a bit green and panic at back, much of which is keepers fault as he doesnt give off confidence or calm. Celtic have 3/4 good finishers and a good steady keeper. If we dont get both sorted then we will again struggle to finish any closer. Could do with better full backs too, or at least ones that understand that when one goes forward, one needs to stay back(although granted that might be the managers fault)
first half it should have been all over, but as per it was nearly a draw and could have been worse. they looked more dangerous in second half and our defence just didnt cope

Windass did well going forward but agree with Pedro, he needs to help out going back. Miller is a trier but legs have gone a bit as has his accuracy. Candidas tries a lot and runs himself ragged but dont think much of his end product so far. Morellos has only had a few mins and so far he is well off pace. Herrera is slow but a good big troublesome striker. wont score many but might lay a few off if we get a proper striker in. Pena is a wayward child with a drink problem. dont think he will last long unless he is very well man managed. Alves and Cardoso both look the part and can only get better with time together. Dorrans and Jack look good together as well so no troubles there.

Forgive my name spelling; dont really have a handle on Spanish/Portugese:eyebrows:

Unless we improve a lot I expect to be 30 points or so back and may struggle to get 2nd again/ hope I'm wrong

HackneyRF
07-08-2017, 09:47
Sky Blues 3 Notts County 0. A pretty solid and promising performance. Just under 11,000 there which is amazing really considering it's the 4th division and the huge amount of shit the fans have had to endure over the years. Grimsby away next up!

rmcin626
07-08-2017, 11:51
I see Waghorn has also gone to Ipswich, hopefully we can reinvest in a striker - the ones we have brought in so far don't look like they will score many

struth
07-08-2017, 11:57
I see Waghorn has also gone to Ipswich, hopefully we can reinvest in a striker - the ones we have brought in so far don't look like they will score many

Heard a rumour he was going this morning. wait til its confirmed, but wont surprise me if the money goes back into the directors or for wages with the excuses as the usual.;) think at moment a striker who actually scores is the main one. Thought Hardie might get a shout but no. All the youngsters who have come through and did well are being left out which is a shame really

rmcin626
07-08-2017, 13:20
Heard a rumour he was going this morning. wait til its confirmed, but wont surprise me if the money goes back into the directors or for wages with the excuses as the usual.;) think at moment a striker who actually scores is the main one. Thought Hardie might get a shout but no. All the youngsters who have come through and did well are being left out which is a shame really
Yeah, none of the young players that were used at the end of last season seem to in picture just now which is pity.

struth
12-08-2017, 10:40
Prem season starts in earnest today. Lots of money spent although a few sides had done very little. City have probably brought in the most and will be interesting to see how they blend in over coming weeks. Utd have bought 3 including Lukaku, and feel they have probably got one more yet to come. Chelsea have not bought a lot in comparison to whats gone out so a ? there, as is for Spurs who have bought no-one. Everton have bought a few good uns too but the loss of Lukaku may kill them. Liverpool have an unhappy top star and have not bought much. can only see them doing worse.
Of the smaller sides, maybe Watford have done best in market. Worst?... maybe Burnley, who look like they could be doomed unless they improve squad a bit. The new sides also may well struggle.
Arsenal kicked it all off yesterday with a 4-3 late win over Leic.

Marco
13-08-2017, 08:40
No mention of the SPL results yesterday, I see? :D

;)

Marco.

struth
13-08-2017, 08:51
No mention of the SPL results yesterday, I see? :D

;)

Marco.

difficult when they have ref and 4th official in their pocket mate, but we will come through it. will appeal sending off too. rediculous decision. still we could have played better too.
celtic struggled v partick too.

struth
13-08-2017, 09:02
i see PSG are buying Mbappe for 200m as well... something needs done about this as there is no way they can fund this as a club. they have a country paying all this and surely bringing game into disrepute far less the fair play rules. also after Fabino for another 60 m

footy is no longer the beautiful game with fair play to all...very sad

HackneyRF
13-08-2017, 09:21

Agreed it is sad. At the other end of the reality scale Coventry won again yesterday. 2 games won out of two. Five goals scored, non conceded. Top of the table. When was the last time I was able to say that?

struth
13-08-2017, 09:31
Agreed it is sad. At the other end of the reality scale Coventry won again yesterday. 2 games won out of two. Five goals scored, non conceded. Top of the table. When was the last time I was able to say that?

2001. For a day.

Marco
13-08-2017, 09:47
difficult when they have ref and 4th official in their pocket mate, but we will come through it. will appeal sending off too. rediculous decision. still we could have played better too.
celtic struggled v partick too.

Yes, but we completely dominated play, and despite not being at anywhere near our best, still managed to win away from home, playing for most of the match with a makeshift defence and no recognised strikers! ;)

Interesting take on the Gers game, however...

I can't comment on the ref or the sending off, as I haven't seen the game, but listening to the phone-ins on Radio Clyde, the view of the Rangers-minded pundits (Derek Johnstone and Gordon Dalziel), plus all the Rangers fans phoning in, was that, outside of the first 5-10 mins, Rangers were rank rotten, with the defence in particular being woeful, together with a powderpuff attack.

Only the midfield got pass marks...

What's your view of that, and of the quality of Rangers play in general, throughout the match? I predict that Hibs will finish in the top four this season, perhaps even higher, and will give Celtic a few hard games, too.

Marco.

HackneyRF
13-08-2017, 09:48
2001. For a day.

Nice bit of research there Grant. Thanks

Marco
13-08-2017, 09:51
In fact, here's my prediction for the top 6 places at the end of the season in the SPL:

Celtic
Aberdeen
Rangers
Hibs
St Johnstone
Hearts.

What's yours? :)

Marco.

struth
13-08-2017, 10:15
celtic
rangers
aberdeen
hearts
hibs
st johnstone

but only a guess at this stage. none of the sides will be firing properly or have all the players in yet. I expect celtic to buy or loan 2 more. probably 1 of each. Rangers will probably bring in 2 more too. Hearts I expect to bring in a few along with new manager.

Marco
13-08-2017, 11:01
Interesting... What makes you think that Rangers will finish above Aberdeen? Or is it more wishful thinking? ;)

I may change my view once I see Rangers play more, but Aberdeen have been the 2nd best team in Scotland now for some time, with a great manager and a settled team, and for me at the this stage at least, I don't see any reason why that will change.

I also think that Hibs will be the 'surprise package' this season, with a great manager (tactically astute and motivationally excellent), and a few very good ex-Celtic players in their ranks. On their day, they'll be capable of beating anyone.

Marco.

struth
13-08-2017, 11:36
Interesting... What makes you think that Rangers will finish above Aberdeen? Or is it more wishful thinking? ;)

I may change my view once I see Rangers play more, but Aberdeen have been the 2nd best team in Scotland now for some time, with a great manager and a settled team, and for me at the this stage at least, I don't see any reason why that will change.

I also think that Hibs will be the 'surprise package' this season, with a great manager (tactically astute and motivationally excellent), and a few very good ex-Celtic players in their ranks. On their day, they'll be capable of beating anyone.

Marco.

agree to a point, but feel if and itsa big one at this stage, Gers get some level of performance(and its showing signs) they will be too good for most. Still need a few players tho.

Hibs could be, but could suffer from squad limitations and suspensions going by their performance. They play well tho but I have a few doubts about a full season...yet. Hearts could do well with right man in and a few astute buys/loans. Its a good base system.
Dons still have a problem re losing a few top players and its yet to see if they can get to level they were last season. Their finances are a big worry too as without their sugar daddy, they are in deep doodoos and will be deeper if their new stadia move doesnt go ahead. that kind of thing filters through to players

Stratmangler
13-08-2017, 11:37

It's not been like that for a very long time!

struth
13-08-2017, 11:43
It's not been like that for a very long time!

lol, no, but this is out of hand tbh. 400mil£ in fees alone for 2 players is not manageable. no team earns that not even the big Spanish sides or utd.
They need to be booted out of europe and if french have any sense, the top league too

Marco
16-08-2017, 20:48
YA FUKKIN DANCER....!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :mex: :mex: :champagne: :champagne:

Champions League group stages here we come!!! I am UTTERLY DELIRIOUS with JOY!!!!!!!!!! :):):):barrel: :barrel:

Marco.

rmcin626
16-08-2017, 20:59
Great result

Marco
16-08-2017, 21:21
Cheers, Robin. It's a pity we're the only Scottish team left in Europe. But we were *devastatingly* good tonight, especially in the second half, where some of the football we played was a joy to watch, and we just blew Astana away. It could've easily been 6 or 7...

And the team was nowhere near at full strength! :eek: Astana were no mugs either, having convincingly beaten Legia Warsaw in the previous round.

Barring some incredible disaster, I can't see us losing 6-0 away, and we will almost certainly score over there, so realistically its the CL group stages, and hello to another £30m! :yay: :yay:

Patrick Roberts is almost certain to return on another loan deal, and with all that cash coming in, we'll defo be bringing in some quality players before the transfer window closes, which I feel, given a decent draw, will give us a great chance of reaching the last 16.

It will also make us irresistible in Scotland, and once the new signings arrive and our injured players return, I can see us giving a few teams in the SPL a royal cuffing ;)

Happy days! :cool:

Marco.

struth
17-08-2017, 06:17
I take it you won. Lol

Good stuff

Marco
17-08-2017, 09:10
Lol... Not just 'won' - we annihilated them! :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
17-08-2017, 09:18
ah, right, so made the group stage then. that will please you :) I was in bed at 8 again. :doh: hell of a life lol.

...all this winning is going to become boring soon :lol:

Marco
17-08-2017, 09:35
Well, we've not made the group stage yet...

We still have to not lose in the away leg, but unless a miracle occurs, for Astana, we'll be in the group stages. BR will want to win over there too, simply for the sake of kudos, as it's an extremely difficult place to get a good result, and Astana are unbeaten there in 14 European ties.

So winning over there will be a *very* hard task, but I suspect we'll end up with a scoring draw.

Lol@ the winning thing... We're going to lose at some point, of course, and certainly in the CL group stages, if we get there, but the pleasing thing is that even with the injuries we have now in key positions, you can clearly see the progress the team has made since last season, in terms of keeping their shape and playing to the system BR wants, so even though the personnel haven't changed much, the mentality and discipline of the team has, massively! :)

Marco.

Marco
18-08-2017, 20:27
Wonderful news! :yay:

Details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40943548

Look out SPL defences... :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
18-08-2017, 20:35
read that earlier. not sure i agree with season after season loans but its in the rulebook. sure he will do well again :)

Marco
18-08-2017, 21:01
Yup, I think this time at the end of his loan period, Celtic will sign him properly, as they'll have the money to do so after this year's CL campaign, and most importantly the boy just LOVES playing for Celtic :)

Marco.

struth
19-08-2017, 16:33
after another frustrating day i'm readjusting my final positions

celtic,
aberdeen,
st johnstone
rangers
hibs
hearts

gers couldnt score in a brothel

Marco
19-08-2017, 16:53
Lol... What did I tell you about second place, mate? Wishful thinking ;)

Still haven't seen anything to change my mind about Aberdeen being the second best team in Scotland (St Johnstone are doing well, but won't finish second), whilst Celtic beat Kilmarnock with a team of kids... Never mind, Hibs got cuffed by Hamilton, boo-hoo for Lennon :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
19-08-2017, 16:59
looked like they were getting it together and I thought a couple of biggish guys were also arriving, but it appears not now. 2 shots on target from 10 is as bad as the old bunch so no improvement up front. They are a bit more creative and defence is better in centre but the old weaknesses are still there. Neither fullback is really good enough in a defensive capacity, and although Fotheringham is one of the best shot stoppers around, the rest of his game is championship level. Think the boy Morelos will do very well eventually but is young and new to league and country, plus whole side is new to each other. Sad that they are relying on a 38 yr old to score goals. na, I will say pathetic

rmcin626
19-08-2017, 17:16
looked like they were getting it together and I thought a couple of biggish guys were also arriving, but it appears not now. 2 shots on target from 10 is as bad as the old bunch so no improvement up front. They are a bit more creative and defence is better in centre but the old weaknesses are still there. Neither fullback is really good enough in a defensive capacity, and although Fotheringham is one of the best shot stoppers around, the rest of his game is championship level. Think the boy Morelos will do very well eventually but is young and new to league and country, plus
whole side is new to each other. Sad that they are relying on a 38 yr old to score goals. na, I will say pathetic

A poor game - something needs to change, of course the strikers we sold both scored today

struth
19-08-2017, 18:31
Nothing wrong with many of the players we sold but they were not suited to our game. Ohalliran eg is top scorer in league because saints play to his strengths. He's a play on the break type because of his speed. We don't really play that way. Same with 2 that went to Ipswich. Different type of league

Marco
22-08-2017, 17:56
Well, we never make it easy for ourselves, do we? :doh: :doh:

Still.... The BHOYS ARE THROUGH TO THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE GROUP STAGE for the second year in a row, and so 'HELLO' to another £30m!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

FUKKIN YEE-HAH!!! :mex: :barrel: :barrel: I am now (officially) DELIRIOUS WITH JOY :D:D:D:D:D:D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Marco.

Stratmangler
22-08-2017, 18:22
Well, we never make it easy for ourselves, do we? :doh: :doh:

That's a bit of an understatement - it looked like things were unravelling at the start of the second half.
Still, you got the result over the two legs, and that's all that matters.

Scott Sinclair never played that well for City, so what's the secret? :cool:

Marco
22-08-2017, 19:14
Lol - a good manager, Chris, who knows how to get the most out of his players! :)

Great game for a neutral to watch, eh? Not for me though, at 4-1 down with 20 mins to go, I'd well and truly shat my nappy!!

Anyway, almost every player in the Celtic first team and development squad has thrived under BR. The guy is quality, and IMO, the best manager ever to grace the Scottish game since Jock Stein.

Remember what you said about BR, when Celtic were looking for a new manager after Ronny Deila, and you asked me who I'd like from the available candidates, and I said BR, and you said what do I want him for as he's won nothing! :eyebrows:

An unbeaten treble-winning season and two successful CL qualifying campaigns later, BR has now signed on for 4-years, after which I predict he'll leave Celtic having won us 10-in-a-row, more domestic cups, and here's the biggie in my prediction.......getting us to the quarter finals of the Champions League! :eek:

Then he'll move back down south to manage one of the top six teams in the EPL. That's my prediction anyway. As for this season, once Paddy Roberts returns and we use some of the CL money from this campaign to buy another quality striker and centre half, given a decent draw, I'm confident we'll reach the last 16 :cool:

Marco.

rmcin626
22-08-2017, 19:46
After tonight you will need a couple central defenders as at least

Marco
22-08-2017, 21:21
Well, we weren't playing with any to start with! ;) You simply can't go into a match like that with no recognised central defenders, and not concede goals.

Once Boyata, Simunovic (whom we missed badly tonight, but should be fit again soon) and Sviatchenko return from injury, the situation will be rather different - and with the addition of another quality defender (we've just signed a South African international central defender, called Rivaldo Coetzee, great name), we'll be more than strong enough defensively :)

Marco.

Marco
24-08-2017, 17:04
Group B

Bayern Munich
Paris St Germain
Anderlecht
CELTIC

An excellent group, with teams we haven't played before, but once again an *extremely* difficult one to progress from into the last 16. Can't see that happening somehow, but I think we've got a chance of finishing in 3rd place, which would get us into the Europa League, and European football after Xmas.

Anyway bring it on! :cool:

Chris, what do you think of your group? A little easier, but still very tough, against Shakhtar Donetsk, Napoli and Feynoord.

Marco.

struth
24-08-2017, 17:09
picked BM out of a poll a couple of nights ago as your group1 side. PSG, well no idea how good they really are, but BM are easy to score against, but hard to beat. Dont know a single player from Feyenoord, so got to be a chance of beating them.

Stratmangler
24-08-2017, 20:27
I'm pleased with our group - no "group of death" for once.
It hasn't got any of the really big hitters, but it's still a tough group. Nobody got there by being a pushover.

Marco
24-08-2017, 20:28
Indeed, let's hope we both do well! :cool:

Marco.

struth
25-08-2017, 18:03
Got BT sport off my broadband provider for £2.50 a month for 6 months. Thought I'd give it a go. can cancel if its no good. Only works on pc or ipad etc, and not the tv alas.

man u tomorrow and Gers on Sunday. will give me an idea if worth having

Marco
25-08-2017, 19:33
Way-hey, nice one Grant! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and all the best for the Gers on Sunday :)

Marco.

struth
25-08-2017, 20:18
PSG and St Ettiene both look good sides. Good to have missed PSG. Neymar has improved an already good side

Marco
25-08-2017, 20:21
What do you mean by 'missed them'; they're in our group :)

You'll be able to watch all the sellik games noo..... Just think, one day Rangers might get there, too! :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
25-08-2017, 20:26
Shit, so they are.... oops, they look retty decent as ESSE are no mugs and are getting turned over. only 2-0 but it could have been more. Been impressed with ESSE's work rate though, they have never stopped having a go back when they have had a chance. Cavani looks a big danger to you so you'll need a good defender on him.

Good Luck;)

Finished 3-0 Neymar has some feet :doh:

struth
26-08-2017, 17:25
0-0 man u game at half time. all utd but leic are very good at sitting deep. I found a way to get it up on the tv lol first half on pc but second half will be on tv.

struth
26-08-2017, 18:41
2-0 full time for Utd and stay top. First time they have won first 3 games for 12 years I think. Both goals coing fro the bench too which is heartening as to strength of squad.

struth
31-08-2017, 09:16
close of the transfer window today. Who are Celtic going to capture? will City get Sanchez? Gers finished with Declan John:eyebrows:

Marco
31-08-2017, 10:22
Hopefully this guy: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41106133

...and another quality central defender, which having secured Paddy Roberts for another year (at least), should do us...

Btw, forgot to say, good win for the Gers at the weekend. Coupled with us dropping points to St Johnstone, it'll give you some hope :)

Marco.

struth
31-08-2017, 10:34
you were linked with Bristol City defender Aden Flint although I doubt it .. at 6'6" he may be a bit immobile for your side, not to mention probably not good enough

Marco
31-08-2017, 10:35
Never heard of him. I'll look into that...

Marco.

Marco
01-09-2017, 08:54
Landed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41106133

From what I've seen in clips, this Edouard guy looks pretty tasty! :)

You certainly don't play for PSG if you're a balloon. Still no centre-half though, so it looks like we'll have to go with what we've got for the CL group games. Our injured players will be back for those, so we should be ok.

Marco.

struth
01-09-2017, 09:49
Landed: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41106133

From what I've seen in clips, this Edouard guy looks pretty tasty! :)

You certainly don't play for PSG if you're a balloon. Still no centre-half though, so it looks like we'll have to go with what we've got for the CL group games. Our injured players will be back for those, so we should be ok.

Marco.

saw that . no idea how good he will be, but as you say, you'd expect a psg lad to be at a high level. Reasonably happy with what we did in window(more than i thought). Declan(like the name);) is a good player with Prem experience so hoping he will make the position his own and we pick him up next season(think he is in last year of contract)

Marco
01-09-2017, 18:40
You watching the Scotland game mate, on Sky Sports 1? :)

Marco.

struth
01-09-2017, 18:50
You watching the Scotland game mate, on Sky Sports 1? :)

Marco.

na, its bt sports ive got. its not on.

Marco
01-09-2017, 19:01
Ah, soz. Thought it was Sky... They're playing well, so lets hope they can keep it up! Six Celtic players in the starting line-up...

Marco.

Marco
01-09-2017, 20:36
Ya dancer!! :yay: :yay:

We're still in with a chance.

Marco.

struth
02-09-2017, 12:10
Ya dancer!! :yay: :yay:

We're still in with a chance.

Marco.

we will cock it up ;) we always give a tad of hope with one win then get beat or draw and thus be out of it. Its the Scottish way

Marco
04-09-2017, 17:33
So are we gonna beat Malta tonight, what's your view, daftee? :)

Marco.

struth
04-09-2017, 17:41
ell, we should win well enough but knowing Scotland it will probably be 1-1 or 1-0..we play bigger sides better than diddy teams, and thats why we have become a diddy team......but you never can tell with the Scottish character.:scratch:

Marco
04-09-2017, 17:45
Well, we beat them 5-1 away, so we should manage to beat them at home. As you say, it'll be tight match, though.

England beat them 4-0 the other night, but were only 1-0 up with about 10 mins to go, before scoring another 3 goals, so no doubt Malta will be hard to break down, especially as they've nothing to lose and are just playing for pride...

I'll go for 2-0 to Scotland, but it might take a while to get there!

Marco.

Marco
04-09-2017, 20:43
I'm too good at this, lol! :D

Marco.

struth
04-09-2017, 20:45
6 points is good haul, but they have dropped a place to 4th. still next 2 games are hard ones

Marco
05-09-2017, 07:57
Indeed, and that's where qualification will be won or lost. I know I'm biased, but I don't think it's any coincidence that since more Celtic players have been drafted into the team, the results have got better!

That's what happens when you fill a team with 'winners', and the Celtic influence is there for all to see...

Aside from the footballing skills of the respective players, you can clearly see that their drive, determination and winning mentality has transferred to and reinvigorated the rest of the team. That high-pressing style Scotland have adopted in the last two matches, and which has paid serious dividends, is no accident ;)

Also, in the likes of Phillips and Robertson, Strachan has unearthed two genuinely international class players, who've made a massive difference to the creativity and game-reading awareness of the team, and Stuart Armstrong looks like a man possessed in a Scotland shirt! Let's hope he gets enough game time at Celtic to keep him match fit for Internationals.

Berra and Mulgrew look assured together in defence, and coupled with the great understanding between Gordon and Tierney, we also look pretty solid at the back. In reality, this is probably the best Scotland team we've had for years. If we'd played this team at the beginning of the campaign, I think we'd be in a much stronger position in the group now.

I hesitate to say so, but as long as we can keep the bulk of this team together and injury free, for the remaining two games, I think we've got a great chance of qualifying for Russia - but as you've already said, heroic failure is never far away with any Scotland side, and we may yet rue losing that second goal to England at Wembley in a match we should've won...

What the last two wins has done is given us a chance, so now we have to take it!

Marco.

struth
05-09-2017, 09:51
when they go v stronger sides, then is the time to make up your mind. ..but they at least dispatched both of the weaker ones, which is more than they usually do. need 2 wins realistically to qualify.

struth
08-09-2017, 20:11
Missed the first half and the goals of the Hamiltonv Celtic match on BT.... thats what you get for lying down for a wee rest lol, then couldnt get the ap to work.

Still Celtic look in control and Hamilton not really trying to get up too much. Now 4-0 as Roberts pops a ball into the new lad. Keeper kinda ade a hash of it mind. The lad will be happy tho.

Just cut off... so switched to the other match.. PSG v Metz

struth
08-09-2017, 20:46
Turned out a bit of luck moving to the PSG game... ended 5-1 and some decent goals and a couple of no so good. But defencively they can be got at, so Celtic should just attack them, without risking all of course and think its their best option. The front 3 were pretty good tho and with Lucas coming on and scoring, well they are a decent side. Didnt catch Celtic final score.
Looks like I will get the game on Tuesday tho

struth
09-09-2017, 09:15
Just got a call to tell me Rangers are picking up my 6 year old Grandson for their early lads. Well done to him; he has been doing well with the team he plays with. Gers Training setup is very impressive now.;)
He is footie daft, but isnt a Gers supporter(or wasnt)

struth
09-09-2017, 17:38
lost the Utd game for a while but back now.. currently 1-1(I missed both goals) Mostly Utd possession but Stoke doing well on counter. Anyone's game.....

With Celtic's 4-1 demolition of Hamilton Yesterday, and Dons and St's drawing Celts go to top of table. Rangers won 4-1 at home to move into 4th.

Marco
09-09-2017, 17:49
Excellent result for your team, mate. Things are building up nicely now for that game at Ibrox! ;)

Marco.

struth
09-09-2017, 18:56
Not bad but still a lot needing done

Man U game ended 2-2. Good match. Utd stay top

Stratmangler
09-09-2017, 19:03
Man U game ended 2-2. Good match. Utd stay top

... on goal difference

Stratmangler
09-09-2017, 19:07
City v Liverpool game was pretty even, up until the point Mane got himself sent off for dangerous play.
It was a deserved straight red.
Ederson was carried off, straight to the ambulance.

After that City set about systematically dismantling Liverpool.

struth
12-09-2017, 20:53
No surprises in champs league really tonight. even tho my english side were playing(manU who won 3-0) I decided to cheer on the local side in Celtic as they needed all help they could getagin a very decent psg. They did fairly well in periods, especially in second half but alas were outplayed, as ost will be. Still, it was a good back to ground for them and they will be the better for it later. Celtics real games will be against Anderlecht I feel and still think they can get enough points to make 3rd and Europa cup after Xmas.

Oh I might add I thought Neymar was a pretty poor sport at end refusing the young celtic lad's hand. He has gone down in my estimation

Marco
13-09-2017, 08:06
Men against boys, mate, especially as the Celtic that's been playing so far this season failed to turn up! They just sat off PSG, too sacred that they'd lose the ball, and that they would hit them on the break, which they ended up doing anyway. That performance was a million miles away from the one last season against Man City, and with a supposedly better team.

I've never seen the players look so 'scared' in possession, and that just created uncertainty which spread throughout the team. Plus, pretty much all our top players under-performed, and when that happens, along with the fact you're playing with a makeshift defence, you've got a cat in hell's chance of getting anything against a team like PSG...

I didn't expect to get much out of the game anyway (as our key games in the group will be against Anderlecht), but I expected a MUCH better performance. No doubt, when Boyata, Simunovic and Dembele return, the team will be a lot stronger - and it'll need to be if we've got any chance of playing european football after Xmas!

Marco.

rmcin626
13-09-2017, 08:45
Thought the game was lost in midfield last night, PSG do have a great front 3 but the midfield dominated the game.

struth
13-09-2017, 08:50
just a question of money really. they have more than you. you have more than us. etc. Dont know who will win it but they will be potentially close dependent on draw. Barca and Real are other 2 I think. Juve have faded a little, as have Munich although still both top sides. Man C have the most expensive squad, but dont think they are good enough yet. All the English sides have a fair chance of making the 16. Teams like Celtic need a favourable draw and to play well to make it.

Marco
13-09-2017, 08:58
Totally agree, Robin. They were overrun in midfield, which is so unlike Celtic. Ntcham, in particular, who'd looked really good so far this season, had a poor game and Armstrong didn't do much either, when he was on the park. And of course Roberts and Sinclair well also out of sorts.

Like I said, they were too passive and stood off PSG too much, which for me in a game that they knew they weren't going win, and at Celtic Park, was unforgivable. Far better having a right good go at them [leaving the park knowing you'd given your best], and getting gubbed, than being scared to lose the ball and sitting off them, with the same result!

However, let's not take anything away from PSG, who for me are every bit as good as Barca were last year, and who will no doubt do the same to many other teams on the way to the final - yes, on that form I think they're good enough. Indeed, along with Bayern Munich, we may well have two possible finalists in our group, which highlights the task that Celtic face playing these types of teams, especially when they're not at full strength.

Onwards and upwards, though! :cool:

Are you feeling more confident about your team now? There's defo a major improvement there compared with last season. I think if you can win your double-header with Partick Thistle, you'll have a good chance of getting something out of the upcoming game at Ibrox.

Marco.

Marco
13-09-2017, 09:08
just a question of money really. they have more than you. you have more than us. etc. Dont know who will win it but they will be potentially close dependent on draw. Barca and Real are other 2 I think. Juve have faded a little, as have Munich although still both top sides. Man C have the most expensive squad, but dont think they are good enough yet. All the English sides have a fair chance of making the 16. Teams like Celtic need a favourable draw and to play well to make it.

Yup, that's a fundamental part of it, but when the players you've got only play to a fraction of their potential, then that compounds things further. What I liked about PSG, apart from their devastatingly good front line, is how hard they worked when they *didn't* have the ball, and how hard they press you to get it back. It's like what Celtic do to other teams in the SPL - only far better!

PSG aren't your typical tippy-tappy, passing possession team, like some of the Italian ones are, or the Spanish international side were a few years ago, although they can do that with considerable aplomb - they WORK their socks off too, and *that* for me, mixed with the world-class players they have in almost every position, makes them quite special.

Marco.

struth
13-09-2017, 09:30
often top sides go down a gear when well on top as PSG did beginning of second and Celtic came out with a more attacking mind and gave them a few uncomfortable moments. Their goallie is better than many give credit for mind and he did enough to calm psg and then they went back to fast crisp passing and celtic faded out again.
Its how hard they pass the ball that is superb for me. you start to think its on a wire or cgi :eek: A treat for neutrals but painful for you.

Marco
13-09-2017, 09:38
often top sides go down a gear when well on top as PSG did beginning of second and Celtic came out with a more attacking mind and gave them a few uncomfortable moments. Their goallie is better than many give credit for mind and he did enough to calm psg and then they went back to fast crisp passing and celtic faded out again.
Its how hard they pass the ball that is superb for me. you start to think its on a wire or cgi :eek: A treat for neutrals but painful for you.

Yeah I agree with your point about their goalkeeper, who seemed very confident and assured, any time he had something to deal with, and also had great positional sense. I guess, you get what you pay for, as he wasn't exactly 'cheap' either!

I also agree with your last point, and how hard/well they pass the ball, which simply highlights their technical ability. As for the painful thing, yes a little, especially when the last two goals went in, but I'm a realist so wasn't expecting much out of the game anyway, just a better performance with more heart and belief from the players.

That was the most disappointing thing.

Marco.

struth
13-09-2017, 09:48
Think you will be better equipped when the injured players are back. Defence maybe should have been strengthened before window closed. they must have the money. Your off to Anderlecht next and at least a point is needed there, and think you can beat them if at best. Should be a good game

rmcin626
13-09-2017, 09:59
Totally agree, Robin. They were overrun in midfield, which is so unlike Celtic. Ntcham, in particular, who'd looked really good so far this season, had a poor game and Armstrong didn't do much either, when he was on the park. And of course Roberts and Sinclair well also out of sorts.

Like I said, they were too passive and stood off PSG too much, which for me in a game that they knew they weren't going win, and at Celtic Park, was unforgivable. Far better having a right good go at them [leaving the park knowing you'd given your best], and getting gubbed, than being scared to lose the ball and sitting off them, with the same result!

However, let's not take anything away from PSG, who for me are every bit as good as Barca were last year, and who will no doubt do the same to many other teams on the way to the final - yes, on that form I think they're good enough. Indeed, along with Bayern Munich, we may well have two possible finalists in our group, which highlights the task that Celtic face playing these types of teams, especially when they're not at full strength.

Onwards and upwards, though! :cool:

Are you feeling more confident about your team now? There's defo a major improvement there compared with last season. I think if you can win your double-header with Partick Thistle, you'll have a good chance of getting something out of the upcoming game at Ibrox.

Marco.
Seeing signs of improvement in the last few games, but would be surprised if take anything from the Celtic game

struth
13-09-2017, 10:19
Seeing signs of improvement in the last few games, but would be surprised if take anything from the Celtic game

would agree with that....it used to be irrelevant as to form between the sides and these games were looked forward to by both but not now and that is the sad part, it isnt; in that the result is all but already decided, as is the league before a ball was kicked in the bookies paying out on another celtic league champ victory. In comparison English football is on the up still when most thought it would fade. its the potential unpredictability of it that keeps people glued to it.

Marco
13-09-2017, 10:58
Think you will be better equipped when the injured players are back. Defence maybe should have been strengthened before window closed. they must have the money.

Indeed, and the effect of not bringing in an experienced centre half, before the transfer window closed, was there for all to see last night, as it forced Rodgers into playing players out of position, and bringing in an 18-year old kid into defence, who although tried his hardest and did ok, was out of his depth at that level.

For me that's been BR's first significant mistake since he's arrived: not having enough signing targets lined up, when the Rivaldo transfer fell through. There should've been a 'Plan B', to fall back upon if necessary.

Your off to Anderlecht next and at least a point is needed there, and think you can beat them if at best. Should be a good game

Indeed, although they'll be no mugs either, and so we can't get complacent thinking that they'll simply be the 'whipping boys', plus let's not forget that they'll also be seeing us in the same way!

We need to try and take points from other games too, which admittedly will be difficult. However, I reckon we could take something from the BM game at Parkhead, when the team will hopefully be at full strength. I think we've got hee-haw chance in Paris or Munich, though.

Marco.

struth
13-09-2017, 11:33
wondering how Eufa view the fan attack on Mbappe too. that guy will not have many mates today :doh:

take5
13-09-2017, 14:17
Its very sad, but the hard fact is that Scottish football is just terrible these days.

The days when Celtic and Rangers were competing at European level are now 40/50 years ago.
Things move on, mainly due to money, but we are now a 3rd/4th rate football nation.

Even in terms of UK level, the standard of Scottish football is really bad. In European terms we are just terrible.
Even Celtic, who are way ahead of the rest up there, wouldnt stand a chance in the English Premier, and in fact in my view would not win promotion out of the Championship.

I go up regularly to visit my dad and he likes to watch it on the TV. I cant believe the level Im looking out. Just such a low standard.
Even my team, St Johnstone, look bad, and they are generally regarded as the most skillful team in Scotland.:)

Its such a shame, but I cant see anything changing.

struth
13-09-2017, 18:52
watching the Spurs game v Dortmund. Great start 1-0 (Son)

struth
13-09-2017, 19:02
watching the Spurs game v Dortmund. Great start 1-0 (Son)

great game. 2-1 spurs. 3 super goals

Marco
13-09-2017, 20:13
Hi Brian,

How's it going? Hope you're well :)

Its very sad, but the hard fact is that Scottish football is just terrible these days.

I know where you're coming from, but I think that there's some cause for optimism with this current Scotland team, even if we don't qualify for Russia. There's the nucleus of a good team there, and with a lot of quality young players, such as Burke coming through, the future looks bright.

The days when Celtic and Rangers were competing at European level are now 40/50 years ago.
Things move on, mainly due to money, but we are now a 3rd/4th rate football nation.

The money side is defo a factor, but if Pedro can build a decent Rangers team (and I believe he can), with BR doing his magic at Celtic for at least another 4 years, and some other good managers in the league, such as your own man Tommy Wright, and who's doing great things with St Johnstone, things aren't as bleak as they might seem.

Hey, I've always been a 'glass half-full' kind of guy! :eyebrows:

Even Celtic, who are way ahead of the rest up there, wouldnt stand a chance in the English Premier, and in fact in my view would not win promotion out of the Championship.

Does that include the 3-3 and 1-1 draws we had last season against Man City, with all their multiple millions, where we should've won both games? Or the wins in recent times at Celtic Park against Barcelona, Man Utd, Juventus and Liverpool, and us twice qualifying for the last 16 of the Champions League? ;)

No, the reality is that more often than not, a full-strength Celtic team can hold their own against anyone at home. The "not" bit comes against teams like PSG, who can simply cherry-pick the world's best players and fill their team with them. Based on what I seen last night, I reckon they'd easily win the EPL.

As for Celtic not standing a chance in the EPL or even winning promotion out of the English Championship, I think you're way off beam there, too. We hammered Sunderland 5-0 (going on 7 or 8), at the Stadium of Light, in a pre-season friendly, who'd just come down from the EPL, and who no doubt would be one of the favourites this season to win the Championship.

Aside from anything else, you're forgetting that down there Celtic would receive multiple millions of pounds from Sky, rather than the pittance they currently get in Scotland, and with that they'd be able to buy much better players, and with better players and the HUGE support they've got, the sky's the limit (no pun intended).

The reality is that Celtic are one of the biggest clubs in the world, with the fan base and history to back it up, so all they need to compete with the really big boys (in a financial sense), is access to the big money they earn, and then anything's possible. The ONLY thing limiting what Celtic could achieve and become is money.

They've already shown they can compete with and beat some of the top teams in the EPL, even now, and with considerable more money in the coffers from Sky, that task would simply be made easier.

Even my team, St Johnstone, look bad, and they are generally regarded as the most skillful team in Scotland.:)

<Cough> Haha... Good job you put a smiley at the end! :D

Marco.

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 07:22
Does that include the 3-3 and 1-1 draws we had last season against Man City, with all their multiple millions, where we should've won both games?

The 3-3 at yours was a tough game.
I wouldn't make too much of the game at ours - we were through to the next round, and put out a very weakened side. It was nice to see Pat Roberts knock one in again :)

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 07:37
Decent result for City last night.
Comedy goal within 2 minutes, and what followed was very heartening to watch.
We had Feyenoord on the ropes for most of it, and our keeper only had one strike on target to deal with.

AP4f-jvgrTE

I've not seen City play with such ruthless determination since last Saturday :eyebrows:

Marco
14-09-2017, 08:00
The 3-3 at yours was a tough game.
I wouldn't make too much of the game at ours - we were through to the next round, and put out a very weakened side. It was nice to see Pat Roberts knock one in again :)

Yeah sure, Chris, but I doubt your guys would've been going onto the park not to do their best and try and win the game, or that the manager wouldn't have demanded it. Professional footballers and managers of that calibre simply don't function that way. Fans would've demanded it, too.

You could also turn it round the other way and say that Celtic had nothing to play for, as they were out. It's just not the case though, as teams such as Man City and Celtic only ever have one thought when they go onto the pitch, and that's to win!

Plus, these fixtures [English vs. Scottish teams] are always portrayed by the media as a 'Battle of Britain', and that factor is guaranteed to add another dimension and competitive edge to the fixture, regardless of the fact that your team had already qualified.

In any case, as you correctly say, the first match between the two teams couldn't have been more competitive, and in that match Celtic ably proved that they could compete with Man City :)

In one-off games like that they can compete, but it would be a different matter doing it week in week out, in the EPL (should such a thing ever happen).

Celtic currently aren't at that level, but as I said before, it's nothing a few tens of millions from Sky (and soon afterwards, if they remained in the EPL, amounting to hundreds of millions), winging their way into Celtic's coffers, wouldn't sort out! ;)

Marco.

Marco
14-09-2017, 08:26
What was the score against Feyenoord, Chris? :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 08:29
Feyenoord 0 - 4 City

Marco
14-09-2017, 08:44
Good result away from home, but that's one team you'd have been expected to beat, home and away. Your games against Shaktar and Napoli will be the defining ones :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
14-09-2017, 09:07
Aye, it was a good result.
The Feyenoord side last night was very inexperienced, and it showed.
However, I've been to more City games than I can remember when we were dead cert favourites, yet slipped down to our opponent's level and struggled.
Last night City showed their ruthless side, and I've not seen that for a while.

Next game for us in the CL is at ours, against Shakhtar Donetsk.

struth
20-09-2017, 15:01
Saw first half of Rangers Partick game last night. Missed all goal action later as quite frankly the action was ghastly poor. God help them at weekend.

Marco
20-09-2017, 15:33
I guess that a win's a win, mate. You're through to the semi-finals, which is the most important thing... Shows that the players keep on going and pushing forward until the last kick of the ball!

That's actually a trait I've noticed with Pedro's teams, and it's a good one to have :)

Marco.

struth
20-09-2017, 20:45
Nothing against their work ethic. Ability is another matter

Marco
20-09-2017, 21:05
Yup, but you're scoring goals this season too, and in Morelos you've got a 20-goal (minimum) a season striker, which you certainly didn't have last year. I also like the look of Dorrans. Both are quality.

0-4 tonight for us against Dundee was a good result, especially with Boyata back, looking as commanding as ever. Will Dembele or Griffiths (or both together) play against Rangers?

It's shaping up to be great match! :cool:

Marco.

Marco
23-09-2017, 09:39
So what's the score going to be today then, lads?

I'm virtually certain that Rangers can (and will) get something out of this game, quite simply because it's *vital* that they do, or at the very minimum vastly improve on their performance the last time both teams met at Ibrox.

Plus, with the Anderlecht game on Wednesday, BR (whether he admits it or not) will have one eye on that, which will affect his team selection, and perhaps also the team's performance.

So if someone asked me now which game I'd rather win, given that we're already ahead of Rangers in the league, with still plenty of time to make up any lost points, I'd take the game on Wednesday every time...

Therefore, I'll go for a scoring draw, say, 1-1 or 2-2, with some controversy attached, perhaps a sending off? :)

Marco.

struth
23-09-2017, 11:00
i expect a thrashing again tbh marco. They are not imo good enough yet at back.

Marco
23-09-2017, 13:32
Well, no thrashing (I just didn't see that happening this time, for a variety of reasons), but I thought that Rangers would've got a point.

Haven't watched the match yet (it's been recorded), so will watch it later and give my opinion then on how things went. Heard that there was a 'wee stramash' between Pedro and Scott Brown....

Marco.

struth
23-09-2017, 14:14
wasnt interested, but the stats say it should perhaps have been. Midfield is weak, and defence woeful. Upfront they are often wasteful, and the goallie isnt much cop. Other than that we are a top side.

rmcin626
23-09-2017, 17:54
wasnt interested, but the stats say it should perhaps have been. Midfield is weak, and defence woeful. Upfront they are often wasteful, and the goallie isnt much cop. Other than that we are a top side.
Pretty accurate summary Grant

struth
23-09-2017, 18:13
Inclined to give Pedro and troops another couple of months then it's time to say goodbye sweetheart.

I still don't really see why he was hired

struth
26-09-2017, 19:35
0-0 in city game. been quite entertaining tho. Sane is so quick...whoosh:lol: City can do better tho and need to as Donesk are very much in it.

struth
26-09-2017, 20:41
Excellent second half for City and it should have been ore than the 2-0 scoreline. Some group of youngish players they have too. De Bruyne and Sterling with the goals.

Stratmangler
27-09-2017, 11:54
Shaktar are a tough team to play.
They're very good at both defending and going forward, and caused us a good few problems.
They fielded 5 Brazilians last night.

de Bruyne's goal was a scorcher.

Aguero's penalty miss - I think Eric Brook was looking down on him last night, and said to himself something along the lines of "you need to work a bit harder than that, Sergio"! Eric Brook is City's all time leading goal scorer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Brook, and Sergio is currently just one goal from matching it.

Sterling's goal was another screamer, very ably set up by Bernardo Silva.

Marco
27-09-2017, 21:08
Nice one, Chris. Glad you guys won! :)

AND...............................SO DID WE!!! YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS, YA FREAKIN' BELTER!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

What a fantastic result away from home in the CL for Celtic, which gives us a great chance now of playing in Europe after Christmas, as on that evidence we can also beat Anderlecht in Glasgow.

Next up is Bayern Munich away, which will be very difficult, but on this form who knows? As expected, they were well beaten tonight (0-3) by PSG, who are undoubtedly the outstanding team in this group, and that result also helps Celtic, as PSG running away with it won't do us any harm.

Anyway, this is real progress from last year, and I am ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED!! :):):):):)

Marco.

struth
27-09-2017, 21:44
Congrats. I fell asleep and just awake lol missed all the games

Marco
27-09-2017, 21:58
Cheers, mate. What a difference it makes having a proper defence for games like these! :)

Think I'll celebrate the win with a wee nip of my latest edition to the whisky cabinet:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/924/5dHq2p.jpg

Churz!

Marco.

struth
27-09-2017, 21:59
Make good stuff. Not tried that one tho. Enjoy

Stratmangler
27-09-2017, 22:06
Nice one, Chris. Glad you guys won! :)

AND...............................SO DID WE!!! YAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSS, YA FREAKIN' BELTER!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

What a fantastic result away from home in the CL for Celtic, which gives us a great chance now of playing in Europe after Christmas, as on that evidence we can also beat Anderlecht in Glasgow.

Next up is Bayern Munich away, which will be very difficult, but on this form who knows? As expected, they were well beaten tonight (0-3) by PSG, who are undoubtedly the outstanding team in this group, and that result also helps Celtic, as PSG running away with it won't do us any harm.

Anyway, this is real progress from last year, and I am ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED!! :):):):):)

Marco.

I switched over to catch Pat Roberts scoring - you seemed to be in control of the game from the bits I saw.
'Twas a good result for you.

I was wondering why there were chants of "Barnstoneworth, Barnstoneworth, Barnstoneworth, Barnstoneworth, Barnstoneworth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O1pH-NEa6I)", until I realised it was the home supporters chanting Anderlecht. Anderlecht ....

Marco
27-09-2017, 22:18
I switched over to catch Pat Roberts scoring - you seemed to be in control of the game from the bits I saw.
'Twas a good result for you.

Yup, apart from the first half hour of the game, where our passing was all over the place and we were continually giving the ball away, we were in almost complete control of the game, and we had enough chances to score more. They were hardly in the game in the second half.

They had a few sniffs overall, but nothing major, and we looked really solid at the back, with Simunovic and Boyata forming a really good partnership. Let's hope that they can remain together and injury free for the rest of the season :)

I was wondering why there were chants of "Barnstoneworth, Barnstoneworth, Barnstoneworth, Barnstoneworth, Barnstoneworth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O1pH-NEa6I)", until I realised it was the home supporters chanting Anderlecht. Anderlecht ....

Sorry, I don't understand what Barnstoneworth's got to do with Anderlecht....? :scratch:

Marco.

struth
27-09-2017, 22:20
its a ripping yarns thing:)

Marco
27-09-2017, 22:21
Ah right, don't know anything about that, although I used to watch some of the shows...

Marco.

Stratmangler
27-09-2017, 22:26
It is a Ripping Yarns thing!
I heard Barnstoneworth being chanted :D

Marco
27-09-2017, 22:27
Lol - I think the vastly outnumbered Celtic fans out-sung the Anderlecht ones for almost the entire match!

Marco.

Stratmangler
27-09-2017, 22:49
I think the microphones were placed nearer the away supporters - it's often the case.
Despite that, it's a good win.
All the best against Bayern - you'll need it!

Marco
28-09-2017, 07:13
Cheers, mate, and likewise with your games.

It'll certainly be very difficult for us, but this isn't the best Bayern side, by a long margin, and they have their problems, so we'll have a chance, especially when we play them at home :)

Marco.

struth
28-09-2017, 15:01
Bayern don't like losing, and have dismissed Carlo Ancelotti. I wonder who is in the hot seat next. A bit drastic I would have thought tbh but they are German ;)
Celtic might catch them leaderless:eyebrows:

this is the favorite for the job
http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7480898.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Julian-Nagelsmann.jpg

Julian-Nagelsmann

struth
29-09-2017, 14:59
Rangers Playing Hamilton tonight before another break, so a chance for them to show fans they have something about them. Not an easy venue though, and I think, what with all the in fighting it might be beyond them.

Marco
29-09-2017, 15:46
Bayern don't like losing, and have dismissed Carlo Ancelotti. I wonder who is in the hot seat next. A bit drastic I would have thought tbh but they are German ;)
Celtic might catch them leaderless:eyebrows:

this is the favorite for the job
http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article7480898.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Julian-Nagelsmann.jpg

Julian-Nagelsmann

Yeah, so I heard. Unfortunately, at teams like Bayern you have to win most games, especially the important ones! So it looks like we'll be facing another team in 'turmoil'... I have no illusions though, about how difficult that game will be.

The proposed new manager looks like he could still play!

Marco.

Marco
29-09-2017, 15:49
Rangers Playing Hamilton tonight before another break, so a chance for them to show fans they have something about them. Not an easy venue though, and I think, what with all the in fighting it might be beyond them.

Not a problem. They'll have to bounce back after the old firm defeat, and their away record is good, so I predict Hamilton 1 Rangers 3 :)

Celtic will have a tough game tomorrow against Hibs, mainly because of the Neil Lennon factor, so I'm expecting that one to be a cracker! Who knows, perhaps they will be the team to finally end Celtic's unbeaten run? Celtic would need to have an off-day, though.

Marco.

struth
29-09-2017, 15:56
Yeah, so I heard. Unfortunately, at teams like Bayern you have to win most games, especially the important ones! So it looks like we'll be facing another team in 'turmoil'... I have no illusions though, about how difficult that game will be.

The proposed new manager looks like he could still play!

Marco.

he is only 30 still but is a top manager already...think he is Hoffenheim manager.

Marco
29-09-2017, 16:41
Interesting... Obviously he didn't play football at a high level himself, or just retired early! However, if there was ever a 'good time' to play Bayern Munich, in terms of them being in a transition period, then this could be it.

Marco.

struth
29-09-2017, 16:53
Interesting... Obviously he didn't play football at a high level himself, or just retired early! However, if there was ever a 'good time' to play Bayern Munich, in terms of them being in a transition period, then this could be it.

Marco.

Yup, off form, managerless and best goallie in world out injured, so should be. You could easily get a point

Marco
29-09-2017, 21:10
Possibly, but I ain't counting no chickens...

1-4 to Rangers, I see... Wasn't too far off with my prediction (as usual)? ;)

Marco.

rmcin626
30-09-2017, 08:25
Not a great game Marco, was won in good 10 minute spell. Pena should have been sent off and Jack was just stupid.

struth
30-09-2017, 08:44
Not a lot of quality on show, but they were the better side; ie their defence was marginally better and goallie was a lot better. :lol:
Pena needs to be sold asap as he is useless. Managers body language was of a man who was leaving soon as he was scunnered. never blinked on the 2 John goals, which is not in character.
Still, its 3 points and 3 goals to good which might give them some confidence

struth
30-09-2017, 16:32
Man u win 4-0 v palace and temporarily back on top with City about top play. Gonna go and watch that soon i hope as think its on bt sport.

Marco
30-09-2017, 16:35
Well, I wasn't wrong in saying that Celtic would get a tough game against Hibs!

2-2, although apparently we had a stonewall penalty denied right at the end, and that James Forrest should've been sent off. I'll need to watch the game on Celtic TV later to see what I think of those two incidents.

Well done to Hibs, who deserve all the plaudits for their attacking philosophy and taking us so close, even though our starting line-up was missing 5 or 6 regulars, including Scott Brown, who was injured, and others being rested after their exploits in midweek against Anderlecht.

Anyway, respect to Neil Lennon and the Hibs players :clap:

Marco.

Stratmangler
30-09-2017, 19:07
Chelsea 0 -City 1

I'm really happy with the way we played at Stamford Bridge tonight.
We bossed the game, and the scoreline really doesn't tell the full story.
We'll be without Aguero & Mendy for a while, but we have the depth needed to cope.

:cool::cool::cool:

struth
30-09-2017, 19:13
Chelsea 0 -City 1

I'm really happy with the way we played at Stamford Bridge tonight.
We bossed the game, and the scoreline really doesn't tell the full story.
We'll be without Aguero & Mendy for a while, but we have the depth needed to cope.

:cool::cool::cool:

watched most of the game and agree they were excellent. Best this season Ive seen, especially as it was v Chelski at the bridge.

Stratmangler
30-09-2017, 19:16
watched most of the game and agree they were excellent. Best this season Ive seen, especially as it was v Chelski at the bridge.

:thumbsup:

Marco
30-09-2017, 19:32
Great result, Chris, and also a very important one. I'm pleased for ya! :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
30-09-2017, 19:43
Great result, Chris, and also a very important one. I'm pleased for ya! :)

Marco.

Chelsea took 6 points off us last season, and went on to win the title.
It's too early to think of it yet, but I've not seen players of the likes of Hazard and Willian be so effectively smothered as they were tonight.

The omens are good :thumbsup:

Marco
05-10-2017, 20:39
The dream remains ON!!! Ya DANCER! :yay::yay::yay:

Marco.

rmcin626
05-10-2017, 20:43
The dream remains ON!!! Ya DANCER! :yay::yay::yay:

Marco.

Never in doubt Marco

Marco
05-10-2017, 20:52
Aye right, lol... Sweaty bollarkz :D

Marco.

rmcin626
05-10-2017, 21:06
Aye right, lol... Sweaty bollarkz :D

Marco.

On Sunday I'll start watching around 85 minutes

Marco
05-10-2017, 21:13
Lol... And only with one eye open! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Stratmangler
05-10-2017, 21:44
Well done, fellas.

I had the misfortune to watch all of the England v Slovenia snoozefest.
Most of my time was spent wondering why the hell Kane was playing up the top right corner of the pitch, and Walker was playing much, much deeper.

The goal eventually came when the Slovenian keeper fooked up his ball distribution, only to have it intercepted by Walker.
Walker then did what he's done so ably for Tottenham these last few seasons (and City this season), took the ball deep and wide, and crossed it back to the penalty spot, and Kane seized on the opportunity to get on the end of the cross, and knock it beyond the reach of the Slovenian keeper, and into the net.

The only high spot of the game, and it came in injury time.

England have qualified.
Scotland have it all to play for on Sunday.

Marco
05-10-2017, 21:51
Yup, and so do Wales tomorrow... It would be great if all the home nations, including the Republic of Ireland qualified. That would be a first for years - perhaps a first ever! :cool:

Marco.

Stratmangler
05-10-2017, 21:57
Yup, and so do Wales tomorrow... It would be great if all the home nations, including the Republic of Ireland qualified. That would be a first for years - perhaps a first ever! :cool:

Marco.

I agree :cool:

Marco
06-10-2017, 16:20
Thought you'd have commented on this, Granty? :)

Marco.

struth
06-10-2017, 16:24
Thought you'd have commented on this, Granty? :)

Marco.

sorry missed it and been unwell again mate. Yes wales play today/ now I think. should still win Bale less. fancy RoI to get second but they both may miss out depending on points accrued. I expect Scotland to cock it up; its what we do:D

Marco
06-10-2017, 16:34
Lol - let's hope not. I think we'll beat Slovenia and make the playoffs. Then, depending on who we get there, that'll be the tricky bit, which we might cock up...

Hope you feel better soon, mate.

Marco.

struth
06-10-2017, 16:37
hope so too but both cant get there alas

struth
06-10-2017, 18:01
well sneaked win that for Wales, although looks tight on paper. still second in group with leaders away to Austria. RoI play Moldova

tapid
06-10-2017, 18:39
Lol - let's hope not. I think we'll beat Slovenia and make the playoffs. Then, depending on who we get there, that'll be the tricky bit, which we might cock up...

Hope you feel better soon, mate.

Marco. Be a little bit wary of slovenia s home form though Marco ? ( according to the boys on 5 live) but keeping everything crossed they may just sneak it.

struth
06-10-2017, 20:56
ireland won to set up a cracking game on mondaywith Wales. with Serbia tripping up at Austria it opens the top spot just a crack for the winners.

Marco
06-10-2017, 21:03
Be a little bit wary of slovenia s home form though Marco ? ( according to the boys on 5 live) but keeping everything crossed they may just sneak it.

Yeah, won't be easy as they were a tough nut to crack at Hampden, but the team's different now, and the momentum I think is with Scotland.

Marco.

struth
09-10-2017, 11:00
As i thought, Scotland managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. By all accounts a gutless 2nd half performance too.
Ah well, probably for the best.
Wales v RoI will be interesting. No guarentees for wales with a draw so a win really needed by both.

rmcin626
09-10-2017, 11:19
As i thought, Scotland managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. By all accounts a gutless 2nd half performance too.
Ah well, probably for the best.
Wales v RoI will be interesting. No guarentees for wales with a draw so a win really needed by both.
Totally outplayed in the 2nd half Grant, yet another baffling team selection by the manager

struth
10-10-2017, 12:07
Well as i thought, RoI beat Wales to claim the playoff spot(hopefully). Well done to them, they wanted more. Iceland won their group and will be in Russia. Pretty good for a nation of about 350k.

Stratmangler
14-10-2017, 20:50
I was blown away with City's result today.
It's a shame about the two 5 minute periods either side of half time, because we collectively switched off, and Stoke scored either side of the break.
At half time it was City 3, Stoke 1, and 2 minutes into the 2nd half it was City 3,Stoke 2.

Within 8 minutes of Stoke's 2nd goal City scored again, and from 4 -2 turned up the heat and mercilessly tormented the visitors.
We were still pressing for another at full time.

Good afternoon for us, and now we play host to Napoli this coming Tuesday.
I can hardly wait :)

struth
14-10-2017, 20:59
Was a terrific result Chris. City finally got daylight behind them. :steam::D

Stratmangler
16-10-2017, 18:16
It's 130 years and 1 day since these gentlemen beat Hyde United 26-0 in the FA Cup.
The draw for round 1 in this season's FA Cup is taking place at Hyde United's ground.
Thankfully for Hyde United, Preston North End don't play in this stage of the competition any more.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMK48frU8AEAs1c.jpg:large

struth
18-10-2017, 18:12
Forgot about the games this week. City had a good win yesterday v Napoli. Celtic play Munich shortly. Good luck to them. New manager unfortunately so it might just be difficult

Marco
18-10-2017, 18:21
It'll be a miracle if we get anything tonight, Grant, especially with us having to shuffle the defence again, with Simunovic out injured... But Brown's back, so you never know. However, I'm more confident of us getting a point in the return match at Parkhead, when hopefully we'll be able to field our best starting 11.

Marco.

struth
19-10-2017, 15:29
Got away with a reasonable score last night according to reports. alas I fell asleep and never recovered:D . still if you get something from the Anderlecht return you should see Europa league action after Xmas.

Marco
19-10-2017, 18:53
Indeed, and that was always the aim: beating Anderlecht home and away, which is on course. Anything else was always going to a bonus, and somewhat of a miracle.

We got at Bayern (who aren't as good a team as PSG) enough last night in the second half, creating some good chances in the process, to suggest we can take something from them at home - *PROVIDING* we can field a full-strength defence, along with the rest of the team, without playing players out of position.

That's a luxury we've so far not had against PSG or Bayern, and against that quality of opposition, with the attacking threat that they have, is verging on suicidal...

Marco.

Marco
21-10-2017, 14:00
Excellent result, in a pressure game (and potential 'banana skin'), considering the team's exertions midweek in Europe! :)

I suspect that Rangers will be joining us tomorrow in the final.

Marco.

struth
21-10-2017, 14:02
Forgot they were playing tbh. Yes a good result. Not so sure re Gers as Motherwell are on song and owe us one. Much will depend on who shows up on day I guess..

Marco
22-10-2017, 06:41
Great set of results for you yesterday, Chris - and well done to Huddersfield Town! :)

Marco.

Marco
22-10-2017, 06:43
Forgot they were playing tbh. Yes a good result. Not so sure re Gers as Motherwell are on song and owe us one. Much will depend on who shows up on day I guess..

Match prediction (I can see there being a few goals): Rangers 3 Motherwell 2.

Marco.

struth
22-10-2017, 15:56
Match prediction (I can see there being a few goals): Rangers 3 Motherwell 2.

Marco.

Only caught a little of the game due to both being in bed and then losing the stream. Well finished their 2 of their 3 decent chances. Gers didnt. Would have and should have been a different game had the well player been rightly sent off. Maybe the fullback too for persistant fouling. Still well win and good luck to celtic in final.

Marco
22-10-2017, 16:31
Well, I got the "Motherwell 2" bit right! :doh:

Saw some of the game. Moult's second was sublime.... Candidate for goal of the season. Would've liked an Old Firm final, though!

Marco.

struth
22-10-2017, 16:34
Well, I got the "Motherwell 2" bit right! :doh:

Saw some of the game. Moult's second was sublime.... Candidate for goal of the season. Would've liked an Old Firm final, though!

Marco.

well it went in so sublime I guess. 99/100 he would have missed tho :D

struth
24-10-2017, 07:55
craziest penalty of all time?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41728826

Marco
24-10-2017, 07:58
Ha - the zoomer forgot to catch the ball!

Marco.

Marco
25-10-2017, 21:06
Fantastic result for us, bossing Aberdeen all over the park from start to finish. Some of the football we played was immense! :eek:

Well, we had to put Aberdeen in their place, just in case they had any delusions of grandeur, with all the pre-match talk of them ending our run ;)

Thought Rangers would've beaten Killie at home, but could only draw [and with a penalty miss also], to heap more pressure on Pedro... That's his team in 4th position now, below Motherwell. Will he see out Christmas? :hmm:

Marco.

struth
25-10-2017, 21:11
lol, didnt even look at footy today. Pedro is just marking time I think. He will go, but when they can afford to get rid. There are possibly some investment opportunies so might wait til that resolves itself.
Good win again for Celts.:clapclapclap:

struth
26-10-2017, 08:17
rumours that Miller and Novo are going to take over at Gers:rolleyes: Novo I take it for the Spanish speakers being Miller's assistant. Just a rumour but Novo was seen at Ibrox for a meeting with King and Miller was told NOT to attend the Killie game;)

Marco
26-10-2017, 10:37
Which Miller are we talking about?

Marco.

struth
26-10-2017, 10:39
Which Miller are we talking about?

Marco.

Kenny.

The captain and Niko Kranjar were also told not to appear by manager, so sounds like the senior players have been going against him(Pedro)

Marco
26-10-2017, 10:47
Lol... Well, if that's true I can't see it improving things, as it'd be another untried, inexperienced solution.

What Rangers need right now is a steadying and experienced, guiding hand, from someone who a) knows Rangers inside out, and just as importantly, b) Scottish football and life in Glasgow, when you're the manager of Rangers, and the HUGE pressures involved.

In that respect, they need a McLeish, McInnes, or someone of that ilk, who can steady the ship and build an infrastructure, and instil some organisation that can start to generate results - and the first step on that road is making Rangers HARD TO BEAT.

Because at the moment, almost every team they face, fancies their chances against them, even at Ibrox! Until they sort that out, Rangers will go nowhere.

Marco.

rmcin626
26-10-2017, 10:47
Kenny.

The captain and Niko Kranjar were also told not to appear by manager, so sounds like the senior players have been going against him(Pedro)

Apparently there is a board meeting today

struth
26-10-2017, 10:50
Think if it happens, and its an if, then it will be short term. But this is a hanging jury if ever I saw one

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/800/cpsprodpb/9932/production/_98481293_14089835.jpg

Marco
26-10-2017, 11:04
Think if it happens, and its an if, then it will be short term.

Short-term solutions are of hee-haw use to Rangers. They need to appoint someone, such as I described above, who will 'steady the ship' and instantly improve results, by making the team hard to beat, so that the infrastructure is in place to start making Rangers the team that they should be - and that's a job for next season.

Therefore, the time for untested gambles is over. And a Miller/Novo partnership would be precisely that.

Marco.

struth
26-10-2017, 11:07
get the feeling they may be foisted on pedro and make him resign;) thats kings style. but, a fresh well respected man in, even temp with possibilty of getting the gig may win back dressing room. nove should be able to rally the spanish/portugese.
doubt it could be much worse tbh

rmcin626
26-10-2017, 11:45
get the feeling they may be foisted on pedro and make him resign;) thats kings style. but, a fresh well respected man in, even temp with possibilty of getting the gig may win back dressing room. nove should be able to rally the spanish/portugese.
doubt it could be much worse tbh

I would think that the last thing we need is an inexperienced manager and Miller/nova would be just that.
Other than having played for the team, they are miles away from what is needed right now.

struth
26-10-2017, 11:49
I would think that the last thing we need is an inexperienced manager and Miller/nova would be just that.
Other than having played for the team, they are miles away from what is needed right now.

I'd agree, but it may be a case of needs must .... might of course be nothing it it but I get feeling he is for off.

as I said many times, I've no idea why they hired him. He had no form; was told he had some connection to the Parks, so maybe that is the reason. Wont be surprised if above happens on a temp basis, or maybe with McLeish too

rmcin626
26-10-2017, 11:58
There are lots of people available just now, so they should be able to find someone. Will be able to follow the story as I'm off work so that's good.

struth
26-10-2017, 12:25
One would imagine the DoF will have a list of suitable candidates. think its part of his job. Board will have to act though as the guy has repeatedly lost the plot and I really dont think he has a clue about management. Murty was 10 times better

rmcin626
26-10-2017, 12:26
One would imagine the DoF will have a list of suitable candidates. think its part of his job. Board will have to act though as the guy has repeatedly lost the plot and I really dont think he has a clue about management. Murty was 10 times better

I agree

rmcin626
26-10-2017, 13:56
Pedro has gone according to BBC , love the irony of the BBC reporting it

struth
26-10-2017, 13:59
had to happen. Wonder if they have told him yet or are they doing it via email or bbc;)

Murty is Skybet fav at 5/2

rmcin626
26-10-2017, 14:10
had to happen. Wonder if they have told him yet or are they doing it via email or bbc;)

Murty is Skybet fav at 5/2
He would have better players to work this time

struth
26-10-2017, 14:23
Bookies fav doesn't always win. Miller was fav this morning. Doubt it will be anyone with a job

Marco
26-10-2017, 17:13
Yeah, losing the cup semi-final to Motherwell and following that up with more dropped points in the league against Kilmarnock, was the final straw...

Murty's a good shout for an interim manager, but there are only three people I'd give the job to on a full-time basis, and that's either Alex McLeish, Derek McInnes or Tommy Wright, simply because not only are they good managers (with proven track records in Scottish football), but they're Rangers men and know what the club is all about.

Any of those would DEFO take Rangers forward in the right direction. Not sure that McInnes would leave Aberdeen right now though, with the state Rangers are currently in.

Marco.

struth
26-10-2017, 17:52
his training & match methodology and his mad half time talks didnt help either. Banning senior players from attending the game too.. all shows he had completely lost the plot. He lost the dressingroom a long time ago(well the British side).

rmcin626
26-10-2017, 18:07
Yeah, losing the cup semi-final to Motherwell and following that up with more dropped points in the league against Kilmarnock, was the final straw...

Murty's a good shout for an interim manager, but there are only three people I'd give the job to on a full-time basis, and that's either Alex McLeish, Derek McInnes or Tommy Wright, simply because not only are they good managers (with proven track records in Scottish football), but they're Rangers men and know what the club is all about.

Any of those would DEFO take Rangers forward in the right direction. Not sure that McInnes would leave Aberdeen right now though, with the state Rangers are currently in.

Marco.
Tommy Wright is good call

struth
26-10-2017, 18:14
Wondering if Novo is going to be added to coaching staff, as they will need someone to help with the lingo

struth
26-10-2017, 18:19
Tommy Wright is good call

wouldnt surprise me if Murty gets it. Doubt we will buy out a contract, especially when there is a lot of men about for free.

struth
26-10-2017, 18:58
a lot of money going on Alan Irvine apparently

rmcin626
26-10-2017, 19:03
a lot of money going on Alan Irvine apparently
Interesting, not sure where he's been recently

struth
26-10-2017, 19:14
Interesting, not sure where he's been recently

he is assistant at norwich think . His odds have come in with Ladbrokes to 7/1. For McInnes and McLeish, Paddy Power wont take bets on. So a few favorites there plus Murty himself

rmcin626
26-10-2017, 19:29
he is assistant at norwich think . His odds have come in with Ladbrokes to 7/1. For McInnes and McLeish, Paddy Power wont take bets on. So a few favorites there plus Murty himself

Hopefully the new director of football will have a say after the farce of the Pedro appointment

struth
26-10-2017, 19:37
Hopefully the new director of football will have a say after the farce of the Pedro appointment

hopefully he might actually talk now. nobody has seen him:scratch:

Marco
28-10-2017, 10:44
Good luck to Murty today! I'm sure he'll get a good response from the Rangers players :)

Marco.

struth
28-10-2017, 10:48
Good luck to Murty today! I'm sure he'll get a good response from the Rangers players :)

Marco.

struggles with no defence but if we get a response in effort it will be something

Marco
28-10-2017, 11:09
Kenny Miller hat-trick, mate! ;)

But honestly, I'm expecting him to be hugely influential, as he'll have a point to prove....

Marco.

struth
28-10-2017, 11:14
Kenny Miller hat-trick, mate! ;)

But honestly, I'm expecting him to be hugely influential, as he'll have a point to prove....

Marco.

Funny I just posted same on the gers site my mate has...:D

Marco
28-10-2017, 11:27
I think there's nothing surer, although perhaps not the hat-trick... It'll also be interesting seeing how the Portuguese and Mexican players play, minus the presence of Pedro.

Marco.