+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caiman - New Case?

Default Caiman - New Case?

First off, I hope everyone had a great Christmas

I have been umm and arr'ing about designing and building a new case for my Caiman. Mainly so I can fit more goodies inside it and not be restricted by the size of the case, but also because (to my knowledge) no one else has done it yet.

I planning on giving it a solid aluminium front and back, with CNC milling/engraving for the buttons, power, inputs/outputs, volume, headphones, etc and then having only minimal text on the front to keep it sleek looking. I might even consider changing the buttons, etc but that depends largely on what my wallet will allow.

I am undecided on what the sides of the case should be made off (stained hardwood maybe?), but the top will likely be transparent.
    The base will probably just be a sheet of aluminium with fixings attached for mounting the boards on.

When I get some free time I will draw up a model of what I'm planning for people to provide some input.
    This will be my first adventure into building a case for something and hopefully not the last, so if anyone has done something similar before, I'd love to hear from them.
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Arcam DIVA A70 QED Reference Audio Evolution & QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs
    BK Gemini 2 QED Performance Audio 1
    QED Qonduit Mains Conditioner QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Denon AH-D5000, Shure SE210, Goldring DR150

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

I'm Neil.

This is very interesting....I for one look forward to reading your opinions on how it sounds after the case swap.

You should post step by step photos of the process.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Good luck with this James - I've posted before that I would like to see a Caiman in a nicer case, (though in my 'case' I would also like to see it become a full-blown pre-amp, with a couple of analogue inputs and remote control...)

Although I think the main improvement will be visual, there should definitely be potential to improve the sound as well, so will be interesting to see (hear) how you get on.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Yea, I am looking forward to this little project. I have no idea how long it will take, or how much it will cost. I'm going to keep it as cheap as I can, without compromising on quality.

I have created a 3d model of the sort of thing I shall be aiming for. I am rendering a model of the new case as we speak, though it might be a couple of hours until I upload it as it taking some time to render.

I just need to sort out the back of the case then render the back and i should have everything I need to get started.
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

The render of most of the case has completed. What are everyone's thoughts?

I will sort out a render of the back of the case soon.
    James

My System:

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Looks good - rough dimensions?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I've just noticed that I needed to enlarge the case slightly to get the internal dimensions I was looking for, so the last picture is a little out of proportion.
    (A couple of new ones will be up soon)

Either way I'm looking at an external size of:
    D - 216mm
    W - 350mm
    H - 100mm (Not including feet)

and an Internal size of:
    D - 200mm
    W - 300mm
    H - 80mm
    James

My System:

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

Thanks for that James - roughly halfway between a "standard" hifi size and the current Caiman, then - is there a particular reason for the width at 350mm? I'll wait to see the new images before saying anything else, if the proportions differ.
    Alex

I'm David.

Beauty! Looks really good, il folow this one I think!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Gary.

I know that the bdac case CAN be changed to make positive changes to the sound.
    I lined the case of mine with aluminium flash tape (effectively Dynamat type stuff) and the sound tightened up nicely.

Will be watching this one closely

good render by the way, nice table texture.
    What 3d software did you use?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast