+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Software media players tricks and tips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by technobear View Post
    'Strain' on the computer is rendered irrelevent by the use of a USB Galvanic Isolator ... and a DAC which uses Asynchronous USB.
    Hi Chris,
    Could you elaborate on this a bit? That is, what is the relationship between galvanic isolation and any negative influence introduced by activity within the PC?
    I ask because, to my knowledge, my USB/SPDIF interface provides galvanic isolation and is asynchronous (in the relevant sense ) but still I'm using applications - like Fidelizer - to reduce the negative influence of activity within the PC, and they at least seem to improve things further (although the jury is out on memory play).

I'm Neal.

I cant see how a USB isolator like the one linked to above is any use other than to isolate the ground plane. Hash / noise on the signal lines and power line will still pass through the isolation Tx on each and be received at the DAC.

For a little more money you can get these true isolating boards that will fully isolate the DAC and can be powered by a clean linear power supply. A much better and more elegant solution IMHO.

http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/usb/usb-isolator
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Hash / noise on the signal lines and power line will still pass through the isolation Tx on each and be received at the DAC.
    That was my experience. I had much better luck simply attaching a ground wire to the computer chassis and earthing it at the pre-amp terminal - no more noise

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by .mus View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Could you elaborate on this a bit? That is, what is the relationship between galvanic isolation and any negative influence introduced by activity within the PC?
    I ask because, to my knowledge, my USB/SPDIF interface provides galvanic isolation and is asynchronous (in the relevant sense ) but still I'm using applications - like Fidelizer - to reduce the negative influence of activity within the PC, and they at least seem to improve things further (although the jury is out on memory play).
    There are no absolutes in audio. Noise and distortion are never eliminated, only reduced. Less noise in equals less noise out.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

+ Reply to Thread