+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: NEW Wadia 171iTransport

  1. #1
    Join Date: Nov 2009

    Location: Isle of Skye

    Posts: 190
    I'm Martin.

    Default NEW Wadia 171iTransport

    I have already posted this on the What HI FI Forum already but I know a few of you guys and gals here have the Wadia 170iTransport already.
    any comments..............

    I was on Wadia's web site and this was a link to a press release about the new Wadia 171iTransport

    The all-new 151PowerDac mini is designed to complement the hugely successful 170iTransport and the NEW 171iTransport. The 151PowerDac mini combines a sophisticated digital-to-analog converter and a 50Wpc (at 4 ohms) power amplifier into the series 1 all aluminum case. The 151PowerDac mini when combined with a 170iTransport or 171iTransport create the heart of an audiophile level mini system.

    The new 171iTransport is the industry’s first certified “Works with iPhone” dock to offer pure, bit-perfect digital output, allowing the revered smartphone to perform as a high-end media server. Better performance has been achieved thanks to improved power supply components and a step-up in the audiophile grade connectors used. A new feature-rich infrared remote control allows convenient navigation through Playlists and Albums. “Our new 171iTransport does the neat trick of turning both the iPhone and the iPod into the ultimate media server.” says John Schaffer, President, Wadia Digital.

    I wonder whether 170i owners will be able to upgrade ?

    Big Marty
    Source: Wadia 170 iTransport
    Apple iPod 120MB/160MB, Apple iMac/Airport Express, Musical Fidelity X-RAY CD player,
    Beresford Caiman SEG with Dorado power supply
    Amplification: ATC SCA2 Pre
    Speaker: ATC SCM 50 ASL Classic
    Other cables, power supplies: Chord Signature, Mike Homar, Mark Grant G1000HD, RFC Reference Mercury, 20000mAH Ankaka battery
    Favourite HIFI forum: AOS of course

  2. #2
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Wales, UK

    Posts: 321
    I'm Mark.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarty View Post
    I have already posted this on the What HI FI Forum already but I know a few of you guys and gals here have the Wadia 170iTransport already.
    any comments..............
    Hi Marty

    I think the Wadia 170 is a super product, and it will be interesting to see what Wadia have done to improve power supplies and audio connectors.

    There is a single internal circuit board in the 170, so I doubt if Wadia would offer an upgrade to 171 specification because PCB would have to be changed to accommodate power supply changes.

    Best Wishes
    Mark
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

    Website

    Facebook

    Twitter

  3. #3
    Join Date: Nov 2009

    Location: Isle of Skye

    Posts: 190
    I'm Martin.

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Audiocom View Post
    Hi Marty

    I think the Wadia 170 is a super product, and it will be interesting to see what Wadia have done to improve power supplies and audio connectors.

    There is a single internal circuit board in the 170, so I doubt if Wadia would offer an upgrade to 171 specification because PCB would have to be changed to accommodate power supply changes.

    Best Wishes
    Mark
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for your reply, I was originally looking on Wadia's web site to see if they had any news on their 121 dac but no news yet. The only difference I can see that the new Wadia 171i has over 170i is an improved power supply components and a step-up in the audiophile grade connectors used. I see your company do a level 1 upgrade which I think add up to the same thing apart from the new remote. so that might be my next upgrade.

    Marty
    Source: Wadia 170 iTransport
    Apple iPod 120MB/160MB, Apple iMac/Airport Express, Musical Fidelity X-RAY CD player,
    Beresford Caiman SEG with Dorado power supply
    Amplification: ATC SCA2 Pre
    Speaker: ATC SCM 50 ASL Classic
    Other cables, power supplies: Chord Signature, Mike Homar, Mark Grant G1000HD, RFC Reference Mercury, 20000mAH Ankaka battery
    Favourite HIFI forum: AOS of course

  4. #4
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Wales, UK

    Posts: 321
    I'm Mark.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmarty View Post
    I see your company do a level 1 upgrade which I think add up to the same thing apart from the new remote. so that might be my next upgrade.

    Marty
    Hi Marty

    It is most probable that the upgraded power supply parts in the Wadia 171 are capacitors, the 5V & 3.3V regulated DC supplies that power the unit will still be generic fixed typed, e.g. 7805. The audible gains from upgrading the regulators are greater than replacing the bypassing & decoupling capacitors, although the collective affect of both is greater still.

    Regards,
    Mark
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

    Website

    Facebook

    Twitter

  5. #5
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Wales, UK

    Posts: 321
    I'm Mark.

    Default

    Hello All

    The Wadia 171i Transport has arrived with us and I have now had a chance to check the updates over the 170.

    Here they are;

    ■ New switching power supply, AC/DC. 9V @ 2A. The new switching power supply is more compact.
    ■ Chassis mount RCA phono with RG179 coaxial cable from PCB to RCA.
    ■ Addition of optical digital output.
    ■ Higher quality, metal remote control, with more functions.
    ■ Light on the front panel to indicate power on.
    ■ Analogue outputs omitted.
    ■ New Wadia Solid Core 6N OFC digital interconnect
    ■ New iPhone/iPad adaptor.
    Mark @ Audiocom, Wales UK - 01646 650008

    Website

    Facebook

    Twitter

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •