+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New fangled TVs.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

32" is too small for plasma - I have Panasonic 42" plasma in living room - fantastic - but 32" LCD LG in bedroom, been fine too, but not used much. I wouldn't disagree with Hamish, but I also recommended a 32" Samsung LCD to my in laws (as Stratmangler suggests) which is doing fine, too. I honestly think the quality of TVs has improved so much in the last 10 years that any "decent" make will be fine, don't worry about the HD specs unless you intend on spending money on Sky HD/Blu-Ray - and then do as Hamish says and worry just about the picture (720P, for instance, is better IMHO than 1080i if you trust your eyes.)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Good post Hamish thanks.
    I'm not concerned with specs, because the only thing i'm plugging into it, is the aerial, and maybe the stereo. However i do have to set a limit on my spending.
    If it breaks after a couple of years under warranty, then it won't be a problem for me. We still have the 15 year old Philips tv in the other room.
    AL

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    ... I honestly think the quality of TVs has improved so much in the last 10 years that any "decent" make will be fine, ....
    i am sorry to have to disagree with this, as everything else in the post is spot on! alex, i am mearly speaking from my experience, but sony and pannys are far more reliable than the other brands!
    example: i sold a chap a dvd player about 2 years back. he hapend to pop in the shop the other day on a day i was there, he told me of an issue with is 3 year old toshiba. basically since the 30/09/09 retune his tv has got in a mess. i went round there last week and tried to retune it... it got all the channels but they were compleltly out of order. when i rang apollo (wo he got the tele off) they told me the only way to fix it was to re organise the channels manually - took me 45mins!!
    toshiba, 3 years old... Shite!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    Good post Hamish thanks.
    I'm not concerned with specs, because the only thing i'm plugging into it, is the aerial, and maybe the stereo. However i do have to set a limit on my spending.
    If it breaks after a couple of years under warranty, then it won't be a problem for me. We still have the 15 year old Philips tv in the other room.
    as a side point, dont buy any 5 year warantees from currys or whatever, most brands have free 5 year g'tees for most of the year! currys coned a lot of people out of g'tee money recently when you could have had a free one from panny! completely unethical.. but it happened!

anyway,
    this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    is the second up in the sony range! its a "v" seires,much nicer than the "s" series! as i said im happy to give you a quote on a price with 5 year g'tee (i could also give yu a £50 discount just coz i can)
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Hurriedly crosses Toshiba off list.
    AL

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Don't be sorry Hamish, you're the expert here, I was merely observing that telly's I've bought in the the last decade are far more reliable than those that went before, whatever the make - which is true of most things, I think - modern manufacturing and quality control generally mean reliability.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

dont buy any 5 year warantees from currys
    I wouldn't buy anything from Currys.
    AL

I was merely observing that telly's I've bought in the the last decade are far more reliable than those that went before,
    Thats interesting, because i never had a problem with older CRT TVs. This is why i'm hesitant about buying a new one.
    AL

I'm David.

the main problem at the moment seems to be the fact that to sell stuff manufacturers are cutting cost. this years gen of tvs, cameras, radios ... etc... all seem to be more plasticy and crappy in the hand!! quality control, in my view, is less of an issue to these big companies, almost on a year by year basis!
    make it, sell it, replace it.. all cheap! thats the way the world is going
    we sell "linsar" tv's.. they have a 1 year replacement g'tee!! great!! ... no ... it just means they make tem so cheap they arent worth fixing! what a shoddy worl we live in!!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    Thats interesting, because i never had a problem with older CRT TVs. This is why i'm hesitant about buying a new one.
    ref my previous post!! older stuff was made to last or be repaired... now its made to work or be replaced! if you are fortunate you have a free extended 5 year g'tee, if not by your poor self

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast