Don't give up yet, Hugo! I don't think that it's necessarily a cabinet size thing....
Sounds like your Golds are a bit like mine were when I got them, before I upgraded the crossovers, which totally transformed them. There's no way I could've lived with them as standard, as they sounded rather 'tubby' and euphonically old-fashioned, so there's LOADS more to come yet!!
I'd recommend using the circuit diagram I linked to earlier - I can advise on components if necessary.
One other major sonic advantage I found, which can be done at the same time as a crossover upgrade, was removing the treble controls and hard-wiring the drive units directly in the 'flat' position, thereby doing away with not only the associated switches and extra contacts the audio signal has to navigate, but (in my experience) the sonically degrading plugs, connecting the crossovers to the drive units.
You have to remove the gold back caps to get at the bits you need, in order to carry out this mod.
Here's what my MGs look like, hard-wired with high quality VDH cable (CS-14 Hybrid):
Marco.




Reply With Quote
Originally Posted by Shuggie






