+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: My journey through the haze of Hifi

  1. #11
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,359
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    I guessed 1980 - 1981 Joe, so not far off was I? Beautiful high quality engineering from the days when the accountants were kept locked in small offices and not allowed to poke their noses into business decisions
    Not at all matey.. They started the 909 in the mid to late 70's but went through lots of 'technical' revisions. Your daaaam right. Man, the engineering is utterly sublime. Love stuff like this.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  2. #12
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: High Peak, Derbyshire

    Posts: 2,241
    I'm Keith.

    Default

    W W
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

    Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595


    Gallery

  3. #13
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,359
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizza View Post
    Great post and pics, I felt as though I'd been on the journey with you!
    lol... My Radford STA25 Renaissance and Densen added.

    Cheers matey.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 09-07-2011 at 11:52.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  4. #14
    Join Date: May 2011

    Location: Torquay

    Posts: 2,719
    I'm Craig.

    Default

    When you say the SF's are Pringle tubes, do you mean the design, or sound?

  5. #15
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,359
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    When you say the SF's are Pringle tubes, do you mean the design, or sound?
    In sound and I guess in size compaired to the Dali's & Tannoys, they were monsters. But the bigger the speaker the more purchase your get so horses for courses.

    But the Dali's were £7k
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  6. #16
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Newport

    Posts: 391
    I'm Simon.

    Default

    some great pics there and what a journey - is there anything you missed out ?

    what a great range of kit, reminds me how much fun the old MF tubular kit looked and surely you could count the Gyro as retro now ? It was just so ahead of it's time design wise.

    That reel-to-reel looks stonking as well.

  7. #17
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,359
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    some great pics there and what a journey - is there anything you missed out ?

    what a great range of kit, reminds me how much fun the old MF tubular kit looked and surely you could count the Gyro as retro now ? It was just so ahead of it's time design wise.

    That reel-to-reel looks stonking as well.
    I think just the MF X-AS200 monoblock amplifiers are missing from the list, oh and a Naim system after that.

    I was a big fan of MF until I tasted other makes. I heard my mates MF system recently and simply couldn't get my head around the sound after listening to valve stuff for the last two years. Cost him an absolute fortune too.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  8. #18
    Join Date: Jun 2010

    Location: Essex, United Kingdom

    Posts: 1,130
    I'm onaplain.

    Default

    Delightful collection - thanks for sharing.

    Looks like you change your boxes more often than your carpet (I also find beige goes with anything and hides the dirt too)

    Top drawer pics !

    Pete

  9. #19
    Alex_UK's Avatar
    Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Sunny Suffolk, UK

    Posts: 18,558
    I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete The Cat View Post
    Delightful collection - thanks for sharing
    +1 very nice.
    Alex

    Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery


    A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

    There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

  10. #20
    Join Date: Nov 2009

    Location: Finland

    Posts: 365
    I'm Juha.

    Default

    I have always loved your pictures and this just shoves that you have had an good eye for the photos all your life .

    I had a pair of Dali Helicons in the past as well, and they are in deed HUGE. I really loved the sound, only bettered by my current open baffle speakers. The problem I had with Dali's was that they just needed much bigger room than I had, so they needed to go.
    My Gear

    Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •