+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43

Thread: Arcam Alpha 5

  1. #31
    leo's Avatar
    leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Notts UK

    Posts: 1,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Really? I was under the impression it meant the addition of components, not the bypassing of them!



    Oh, I prefer a pump, though a freind likes the wick
    NOS = zero oversampling, you basically bypass the digital filter on the i2S lines feeding the dac

    I'll try and think of the easiest way to try it, normally you take out the SAA7220, cut off 6 of its pins and fit wire links bypassing where those pins went (you end up with 3 x links bypassing 6 holes)

    There is another way you can try making it reversable incase you don't like the results
    The hardest bit is me trying to explain it or trying to draw a pic
    Cheers,
    Leo

  2. #32
    Join Date: Jun 2008

    Location: N. Ireland

    Posts: 2,475
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    NOS = zero oversampling, you basically bypass the digital filter on the i2S lines feeding the dac

    I'll try and think of the easiest way to try it, normally you take out the SAA7220, cut off 6 of its pins and fit wire links bypassing where those pins went (you end up with 3 x links bypassing 6 holes)

    There is another way you can try making it reversable incase you don't like the results
    The hardest bit is me trying to explain it or trying to draw a pic
    I ma sure I could get hold of another SAA7220 should I wish to reverse the changes. I can see a few nights slaving over a hot soldering iron in the near future!

    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.


    FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

  3. #33
    leo's Avatar
    leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Notts UK

    Posts: 1,804

    Default

    You shouldn't even have to remove the chip to try it, no legs need to be cut

    See if this makes any sense



    Those three resistors are on the output of the SAA7220 i2S going to the dac chip.
    if you remove those resistors from the pcb, solder wire onto the resistors ends so to extend the legs and wire on the bottom of the board like in the pic

    If unsure just let me know

    TBH I would try the new caps first, give em chance to burn in before trying the NOS mod, too many mods at once can cause confusion if theres something you don't like sound wise
    Cheers,
    Leo

  4. #34
    Join Date: Jun 2008

    Location: N. Ireland

    Posts: 2,475
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Thanks Leo. I have ordered the majority of caps this morning from Farnell. As you say it would be best to do incremental upgrades so I can see the difference.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.


    FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

  5. #35
    Join Date: Nov 2009

    Posts: 2

    Default Arcam Alpha 5

    Hi Mr. Leo:

    Please let me know what do you think about this way to implement the Non Over Sampling mod:

    1-Lift or cut pins 1,2,3,15,16,18 of SAA7220 from the board.
    2-Join the vacated holes with wire thus: 1 to 18 2 to 16 3 to 15.
    3-Cut the track between Pins 2 and 4 of the TDA1541a chip.
    4-Connect pin 4 to the adjacent ground pad ground (pin 5).

    I want to put my beloved Arcam Alpa 5 running in NOS, but I´m not how to do it without serious demages!

    Many thanks in advance for helping,
    acruz

  6. #36
    leo's Avatar
    leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Notts UK

    Posts: 1,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acccruz View Post
    Hi Mr. Leo:

    Please let me know what do you think about this way to implement the Non Over Sampling mod:

    1-Lift or cut pins 1,2,3,15,16,18 of SAA7220 from the board.
    2-Join the vacated holes with wire thus: 1 to 18 2 to 16 3 to 15.
    3-Cut the track between Pins 2 and 4 of the TDA1541a chip.
    4-Connect pin 4 to the adjacent ground pad ground (pin 5).

    I want to put my beloved Arcam Alpa 5 running in NOS, but I´m not how to do it without serious demages!

    Many thanks in advance for helping,
    acruz
    Hi acruz,

    Please could you just nip into the welcome section of the forum and introduce yourself before the site owners get you

    The wiring for the zero oversampling mod seems to be correct.
    For those wanting a pic I found this http://nacl.de/philips/nos.jpg

    Cheers,
    Leo
    Cheers,
    Leo

  7. #37
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

    Posts: 14,540
    I'm David.

    Default

    So that £99 Net-Audio board isn't necessary then, or does it do summat else?
    I can't go on and I can't go back, I don't feel so matter of fact,
    I tried and tried to make good sense, What's the good to try it all again?

  8. #38
    leo's Avatar
    leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Notts UK

    Posts: 1,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    So that £99 Net-Audio board isn't necessary then, or does it do summat else?
    I think it does the NOS and adds simple reclocking on the I2S lines similar to whats found in the Arcam Alpha5+
    Cheers,
    Leo

  9. #39
    Join Date: Jun 2010

    Location: Hoddesdon ,Herts. UK

    Posts: 31

    Default

    Hi guys

    Can these mods be done on an Alpha 5+ ?

    Cheers
    Paul.
    Paul

    System :Arcam Alpha 5+ into Beresford TC7520, Gatored with an AD826 opamp + Caiman PSU into Dual mono Gainclone :AKG K530 headphones: Denon AVR1910 : B&W DM601 S3 + LCR60 S3, Tannoy MX2 x 2 + Yamaha YST-SW320 sub:Mark Grant Canare LV61S : Beresford TRC-222-1M + TC-3618 TOSLINK all running via a Tacima mains conditioner

  10. #40
    Join Date: Dec 2009

    Location: Beaconsfield

    Posts: 13
    I'm Andrei.

    Default

    yes and they give even better results. partly due to the superior clock in the 5+ and also there are some other differences.
    These CD-players can be taken to a very high-end level with a few pounds invested in them...
    Andrei

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •