+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Crap weather for September 2024

I'm Robin.

Sunny but only 15c so far
    Regards
    Robin

Origin Live Calypso MK5 turntable, Origin Live Onyx tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

21c and sunny
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Robin.

20c now and still sunny very pleasant
    Regards
    Robin

Origin Live Calypso MK5 turntable, Origin Live Onyx tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3.

I'm Martin.

Another day that started chilly but ended up warm and sunny.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Reached 28C here after lunch, but was windy so felt cooler.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Another warm sunny day again - I think we'll be having this for the rest of the week, with rain returning on Saturday night, just in time to ruin the car boot sales. Again.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers,

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

We were at a boot sale today. At times it was quite warm and at other times quite windy.

Boot sales depress me, but my partner loves them: both buying and selling. There is nothing there that interest me - I'm sick of the vinyl vampires who have formed a virtual cabal.

House clearance traders really depress me. Quite often part of someone's former belongings are unceremoniously dumped on the ground. These were once somebody's treasured belongings.

When I shuffle off this mortal coil, I shall arrange for my LP and CD collection to go to a charity, where hopefully it will benefit the charity and not selfish traders.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    We were at a boot sale today. At times it was quite warm and at other times quite windy.

Boot sales depress me, but my partner loves them: both buying and selling. There is nothing there that interest me - I'm sick of the vinyl vampires who have formed a virtual cabal.

House clearance traders really depress me. Quite often part of someone's former belongings are unceremoniously dumped on the ground. These were once somebody's treasured belongings.

When I shuffle off this mortal coil, I shall arrange for my LP and CD collection to go to a charity, where hopefully it will benefit the charity and not selfish traders.
    I agree, boot sales are depressing for the reasons you outline. I only go for the CDs (an increasingly fruitless search) and the occasional work-related sundries if they are a lot cheaper than the shops. The proportion of sellers who are actually traders has grown to such an extent that the boot sales would be better described as 'Sunday markets'.

But when I'm gone my records and CDs will go to Anita (who will not be letting them go for pennies, she's sharp as a tack).

If you were to give your collection to a charity, Oxfam might be your best bet - A few years ago I was in their Keswick branch, where a vinyl copy of Physical Graffiti was going for £99 - it was in a locked glass case and looked like it had been discovered at the bottom of a builders skip. Just think what they could do with your collection.

Not all doom and gloom though - sunny out there again, perfect weather for the garden project I'm being made to undertake.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers,

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

20C with bright sunshine.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

If you were to give your collection to a charity, Oxfam might be your best bet - A few years ago I was in their Keswick branch, where a vinyl copy of Physical Graffiti was going for £99 - it was in a locked glass case and looked like it had been discovered at the bottom of a builders skip. Just think what they could do with your collection.
    Yes, I know what you mean. A few years ago I took a lot of photographic art books to Oxfam and all were in very good condition. One was by David Bailey, and to my surprise I later saw it locked in a display case with a £85 price tag.

Obviously all charity shops have to maximise their assets, and now look at online fora to see what a reasonable selling price might be. Oxfam make the mistake of simply looking at the price, with little or no regard for condition.
    For example all Decca SXL recordings have a high asking price, yet many are in poor, or indifferent, condition.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast