+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1215

Thread: LENCO - GL75 Project

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

That 120rpm record sounds amazing given that it is almost as old as its revolution speed! Also notable that it play from the inside to the outside, the opposite of how most records play. Fascinating!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    The Refelrence Lenco Pt CXIII - A picture paints a thousand words.

So here is a picture of the stock Lenco. It's hiding a few secrets! I thought I'd detail what's been done so far.

1. The platter has had a little polish. It's still not great and is a work in progress. I'll polish it a little every day or so until I'm happy with the finish. OK this is not strictly going to improve the performance of the deck but it sure looks nice!

3. The platter mat. This was filthy, so the disc has been polished and the mat has been cleaned and treated to some Autoglym rubber repair.
    Looking good Andrew, but I wouldn't use anything other than warm soapy water and a nail brush to clean any rubber turntable mat. After all your precious records come in direct contact with it, and any 'additives' could damage the vinyl.
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Looking good Andrew. What did you use to polish the platter and are you using an M55E with this one?
    I used a bench polisher and alongside several different polishing agents. It's still a work in progress and needs some more elbow grease. I've spent a fortune buying elbow grease from Halfords . I'm honestly not sure Brian what I'm going to use. Might be nice to try something a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    That 120rpm record sounds amazing given that it is almost as old as its revolution speed! Also notable that it play from the inside to the outside, the opposite of how most records play. Fascinating!
    There are a few modern day records that play outside / in. I think Jack White released one.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Looking good Andrew, but I wouldn't use anything other than warm soapy water and a nail brush to clean any rubber turntable mat. After all your precious records come in direct contact with it, and any 'additives' could damage the vinyl.
    Thanks Barry. I never really give it much thought but thanks for the heads up.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

The Reference Lenco Pt CXIV - If you know you know!

Sunday night, it's a bank holiday and another update. Well, it's a day off and an excuse to see what stuff I have lurking in the garage. Such oppotunities enable my to clear a little more space in the garage only to be taken up again in the attic! So the Lenco moves another step forward in that I have a few new things and routed out a few old things! The stock Lenco has benefitted from some TLC, it's still far from complete and still needs things like the tonearm, motor and platter refurbishing. I do these jobs when I feel like doing them, this is a fun project and not a chore. The platter is probably one of the most ignored part of any resto. I always check the underside of my platters for some clues. Here's the current stock platter

Now can anyone spot the two big problems here? Well firstly look at the amount of rubber on the underside of the platter, this will need cleaning away. Secondly, what does this say about the status of the idler wheel, assuming that it's still the same idler wheel. I haven't even bothered with checking the idler wheel at the moment, that's a job for another day. This platter needs a very good clean. Presently, that's exactly what's happening but in small sections, it's a labour intensive job but hopefully one which will yield good results. The idler arm and wheel can wait for another day.

And here with have a photo of probably the only new part to be installed on the stock deck yet. New rubber bushes for the mounting springs on the plinth. As you can clearly see the old ones are completely knackered and probably offer no isolation whatsoever which prevents me from trying to get the deck sounding like something new and original which has just been released from the factory.

The stock 75 has taken all the attention so far but here is the exciting bit. The first picture of the beginnings of the reference 75.

Bamboo from another old project. I'm not spending silly money on Panzerholz or Permali. Bamboo is excellent and gives great results, take my Garrard 301 build as a reference. Now you can see the exciting bit, it's a PTP 5 kit. I have always said that I think the ultimate distillation of the Lenco GL75 has to be the PTP 5. It offers so many things that I wanted to with the original Lenco build which started this thread and now this moves these ideas forward and I can experiment to see if I can get the deck sounding any better than all that experimentation what went on all those years ago. I found some solid core copper cabling which I'll use, well it's free and solid core (according to some) sounds better than litz based power cables (WE SHALL SEE) , forgive the sceptical nature of my post. Finally we have an idler arm and wheel, these will not be staying "stock" for very long and let's just say we have some nice new things on order. I'll say no more until they arrive.

Well that's about it. Stay tuned!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Great to see a PTP5 build and I am sure it will become an awesome project with major sonic potential. Always wanted to hear one and may indeed build myself one someday.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Great to see a PTP5 build and I am sure it will become an awesome project with major sonic potential. Always wanted to hear one and may indeed build myself one someday.

I got this one at a slightly cheaper price 3rd hand! There is no time limit on this one, just a bit of fun to pass the weekends away.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakefield Turntables View Post
    I got this one at a slightly cheaper price 3rd hand! There is no time limit on this one, just a bit of fun to pass the weekends away.
    Great project to have ongoing and as you say fun one to do in your spare time. I thought I would have a lot more time in my retirement to crack on with projects but I seem to have so much going on now it is nearly as difficult to fit stuff in as when I was working!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Andrew, what is the PTP-5 kit for a Lenco GL75? Is it the bits and pieces shown in the last image?
    Barry

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Andrew, what is the PTP-5 kit for a Lenco GL75? Is it the bits and pieces shown in the last image?
    Here you go Barry every you ever needed to know about PTP! http://www.ptpaudio.com/ptp-audio.html Many hundreds of people have built wonderful TT's based around thids design. All you need is the gubbins from a Lenco GL75, a plinth, a few bits of wire and your away!
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Another PTP project and this is the best one I have seen. If I did one it would basically be this.

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/in...?topic=38364.0

+ Reply to Thread