+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tidal Music

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Tidal Music

So the plans changed last month, and individual membership is down to £10.99 per month including hifi/hifi plus as was (hi-res files). I cancelled my subscription 3 years ago, but at the new price (I think it was £19.99 for hifi plus?) I’ve started it up again - really didn’t think I noticed much difference between Spotify (320 kbps) and CD quality and above, but clear to hear even on my modest study speakers.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Martin.

Do you struggle to choose something to play?

Just asking since that's one of my problems with streaming. I go round to someone's place to hear their new speakers (or whatever) and they hand me an iPad and say 'Put something on.' And my mind goes blank.

I'm the same going into record shops. I know there's at least maybe half a dozen albums I've made a mental note to get but once I walk in I can't think what any of them are.

In the record shop at least I can browse the shelves until I spy something. Same thing at home. I want some music on but have nothing specific in mind. So I browse until something takes my fancy.

You can't really do that on a screen. I know it gives you suggestions based on previous selections, but I don't really want to be 'guided' like that. Although I accept others find that a great feature.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not so far, there are a couple of new albums I wanted to hear, and I saw some others of interest - I guess time will tell, and can cancel at any time.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

Just asking since that's one of my problems with streaming. I go round to someone's place to hear their new speakers (or whatever) and they hand me an iPad and say 'Put something on.' And my mind goes blank.

I'm the same going into record shops. I know there's at least maybe half a dozen albums I've made a mental note to get but once I walk in I can't think what any of them are.

In the record shop at least I can browse the shelves until I spy something. Same thing at home. I want some music on but have nothing specific in mind. So I browse until something takes my fancy.

You can't really do that on a screen. I know it gives you suggestions based on previous selections, but I don't really want to be 'guided' like that. Although I accept others find that a great feature.
    Completely agree with all of this, and is exactly why I haven't gone down the streaming route. Well that, and also the whole paying for permission to play someone else's tunes thing.

But at £9.99 it's certainly tempting, if only to use it for 'discovery'. At the moment I just use an Echo Dot connected to my second system, and it's ok, just. Trouble is, that dopey Alexa bint doesn't do northern accents The other day I was trying my damnedest to get her to play songs by Texan indie singer songwriter Lera Lynn, and all I could get was "White Cliffs of Dover"
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Completely agree with all of this, and is exactly why I haven't gone down the streaming route. Well that, and also the whole paying for permission to play someone else's tunes thing.

But at £9.99 it's certainly tempting, if only to use it for 'discovery'. At the moment I just use an Echo Dot connected to my second system, and it's ok, just. Trouble is, that dopey Alexa bint doesn't do northern accents The other day I was trying my damnedest to get her to play songs by Texan indie singer songwriter Lera Lynn, and all I could get was "White Cliffs of Dover"
    I use Youtube for discovery, costs nothing, never searched for something and its not been available on there. And if I like it I order the CD.

Then I'll forget I ordered it, get back from work a couple of days later, find a jiffy bag in the porch and think 'What the hell's this?'
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

I use Youtube for discovery, costs nothing, never searched for something and its not been available on there. And if I like it I order the CD.

Then I'll forget I ordered it, get back from work a couple of days later, find a jiffy bag in the porch and think 'What the hell's this?'
    It can also work the other way round for me - the other day I wanted to play "Fuse" by Everything But The Girl as I remember liking it. But then I couldn't find it anywhere. I searched the shelves and eventually went into my Ebay purchase history. Turns out I've never bought it
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Ian.

The other day I was trying my damnedest to get her to play songs by Texan indie singer songwriter Lera Lynn, and all I could get was "White Cliffs of Dover"

I like streaming and I like my vinyl. All my CD's have been ripped to FLAC so I don't even have them on display. If I find new music I really like I'll buy the vinyl if available but I haven't bought a CD for years. Each to his own.

I'm Ken.

Yeh, I suffer the same state of blankness when given free choice.
    I do find my streaming service (Qobuz) useful, in that it lets me know the albums not to waste my money on.
    With new releases, probably one in thirty, where I sample a few tracks, is worth a full album listen and one in five of those is worth buying as something I will re visit.
    I sampled 100 albums one day and couldn't find one I wanted to hear all the way through.
    There seems to be so much mediocre stuff, same as the previous artist in style, same as the previous track in tempo, yawn!
    Officially an old git I guess

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    There seems to be so much mediocre stuff, same as the previous artist in style, same as the previous track in tempo, yawn!
    Officially an old git I guess
    Or it's true!

I check out recommendations but I'd say fewer than one in twenty are something I'll bother getting.

I really don't think it's an age thing. Most modern films I watch are also mediocre, derivative, or just plain crap.

What I find odd is that with digital technology it must be cheaper to make films than it was in the 1970s and 1980s but there seems to be a lot less original films and many more sequels, remakes (never, ever as good as the original), idiotic super hero franchises, and films based on old TV shows (which are always, without fail, a squandered opportunity)

What happened to all the great low budget films like Escape From New York or Easy Rider? No-one's taking chances anymore.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

I daresay that we all have a tendency to remember the good films and music that we watched, particularly in our youth, and to forget the huge volume of dross. Even a cursory look at the charts from the 60s onwards will show how few gems there were. Same goes for movies.

I am at a loss to understand why anyone would think fewer good tunes are being produced these days. If one is basing this on the charts, I can understand, as they have always been a marketing tool rather than a vehicle for quality. Perhaps one is focusing on youth output, which may be partly true though artists like Billie Eilish would suggest otherwise. A lot of the new music I listen to is by established (though perhaps not famous) artists aged 30 and over. It's out there if you look for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast