+ Reply to Thread
Page 2981 of 2998 FirstFirst ... 19812481288129312971297929802981298229832991 ... LastLast
Results 29,801 to 29,810 of 29975

Thread: Spinning Today - What Are You Listening To Right Now? (Part 3)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A – 'Hi-Fi Serious'

Label: London Records – 0927-44776-2
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: March 4, 2002
    Genre: Rock
    Style: Alternative Rock, Grunge

Picked this up in a charity shop for 50p, 'on spec'. The only group I know with the name "A"; and easy to file away in my collection - it would be the very first!

Sadly however, it's not really to my taste, so back to the charity shop it goes.

So for a complete change:

Bob Dylan – 'Desire'

Label: CBS – CBS 86003, CBS – S 86003, CBS – PC 33893, CBS – 86003
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
    Released: January 5, 1976
    Style: Blues Rock, Folk Rock

And finally a recording which, IMO, a copy should reside in everyone's collection:

U2 – 'The Joshua Tree'

Label: Island Records – CID U2 6, Island Records – CID U26
    Format: CD, Album, Disctec
    Released: March 9, 1987
    Style: Pop Rock
    Barry

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Reuniting Jean-Benoît Dunckel with Nicholas Godin for their latest (last?) album:

Air - Le voyage dans la lune (2012)

Interesting back story to this one - a soundtrack to an originally silent movie from 1905- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_voy...a_lune_(album) - but equally great as an album in its own right. I think it's going to become an Air evening...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Steve.

Nice - I bought "Desire" when it first came out in the mid-70s, and really liked it. It has been on my to-buy list for ages now, I really need to get round to it. But it might have to be vinyl, for nostalgia reasons.

"Joshua Tree" on the other hand - I've never been a fan of U2 really, but thought this album might be an exception. Turns out I only liked "Bullet the Blue Sky". So I tried without success to sell it at a car boot sale. Fortunately it was one of the albums that disappeared from my collection in the early 90s.

Bono reminded me of the "Zed" character from the Police Academy films, sort of put me off U2.

I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dominick.

Having watched the Syd Barret retrospective the other day, it was good to play 'Piper' last night.
    Hopefully manage to get 'A Saucerful of secrets' in tonight...

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Air - Premiers Symptômes (1997)

Debut EP from the French duo formerly mentioned. 5 tracks plus 2 bonus. Do you ever play a record and think "that was so good I'm going to play it again"? No, me neither, but I did with this! (Steve, (Pigmy Pony) if you haven't got this, get onto Music Magpie now! - CD only £2.74 but only one left!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Is that a 'best of' collection?

Was the Syd Barret retrospective you mention shown on Sky Arts? What did you think of it? To me, it came across as a near hagiography.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Air - Premiers Symptômes (1997)

Debut EP from the French duo formerly mentioned. 5 tracks plus 2 bonus. Do you ever play a record and think "that was so good I'm going to play it again"? No, me neither, but I did with this! (Steve, (Pigmy Pony) if you haven't got this, get onto Music Magpie now! - CD only £2.74 but only one left!)
    Yes - on a number of occasions; but it rarely sounds quite as good on second listening.

Alex - is there a danger of you becoming an "Air Head"?
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Alex - is there a danger of you becoming an "Air Head"?
    I think that happened a long time ago Barry!
    Alex

I'm Dominick.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Is that a 'best of' collection?

Was the Syd Barret retrospective you mention shown on Sky Arts? What did you think of it? To me, it came across as a near hagiography.
    It's a re-release of 'Piper at the gates of dawn' and 'Saucerfull of secrets' packaged up as a double album. I bought it back in the early eighties or thereabouts.

Yes, I was in two minds about the programme, good to hear the music snippets though, I have Syd's two albums (also paired up as a double set) which I've played fairly recently, but haven't played the two Floyd ones for donkeys years, so it was a good prompt to fish them out for a hearing.

The All Seeing I - Pickled Eggs & Sherbert (1999)

Their one and only album - eclectic electronica bringing in several acts from their home city of Sheffield (Tony Christie, Phil Oakey, Jarvis Cocker.)
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread