+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Timestep Hi Fi Forum

  1. #21
    Join Date: Dec 2008

    Location: Yorks

    Posts: 16,643
    I'm Nobody.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    No chance! I am however putting the dosh I save on wine into a little fund... which the woman in my life will then spend, and then I can go sing for my 401 upgrades!

    I have a few 401 related questions, so may resurrect my original thread.
    It's ok Alex.. people think money grows on tree, it aint no cheap job properly sorting a '401' Anyway sorry for butting in this topic.

  2. #22
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

    Posts: 14,540
    I'm David.

    Default

    For some of "us" here Andre, fettling a 401 is just a matter of diverting disposable income for a few months - a matter of priority. Even if I got my 401 back from under the pile of Elcassette machines and Isobariks (sarcastic comment) I still couldn't find the grand or two to properly sort and plinth it.
    I can't go on and I can't go back, I don't feel so matter of fact,
    I tried and tried to make good sense, What's the good to try it all again?

  3. #23
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: California (San Francisco Bay Area)

    Posts: 170
    I'm Mark.

    Default

    Dave,
    I'm sure that if you did all the work yourself including building the plinth it won't cost
    anywhere near 1-2K. It sounds like it would be the perfect winter project for someone
    who enjoys these turntables.
    There has to be a lot of good information out there which will help greatly.

  4. #24
    Join Date: Apr 2008

    Location: Cheshire, UK

    Posts: 2,832
    I'm Clive.

    Default

    You can do a slate plinth for around £200 using a stonemason. Otherwise try a birch ply sketetal plinth for peanuts. The rest of the fettling it dis-assembly, lube and re-assembly. It does not need to cost a lot.

  5. #25
    Join Date: Apr 2008

    Location: Cheshire, UK

    Posts: 2,832
    I'm Clive.

    Default

    There's a company in Watford that's done several slate plinths for a friend of mine at about £200 each. They are of similar quality to my Slatedeck plinth.

  6. #26
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

    Posts: 14,540
    I'm David.

    Default

    So what's holding our Alex back then ????

    I know, I've had the TD125 for nearly two years and only just got it going..
    I can't go on and I can't go back, I don't feel so matter of fact,
    I tried and tried to make good sense, What's the good to try it all again?

  7. #27
    Alex_UK's Avatar
    Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Sunny Suffolk, UK

    Posts: 18,565
    I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    So what's holding our Alex back then ????
    Mrs Alex & Alex's Avatar! Mind you, If I spent less time on the internet...
    Alex

    Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery


    A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

    There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

  8. #28
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,867
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Go for it, Alex, because, trust me, when you get that 401 properly fettled, and build up your vinyl collection, the 'digital paraphernalia' in your system will soon gather lots of dust!

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & regulator mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat with Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight. Isonoe feet & boots. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm with Denon DL-103GL in a Denon PCL-300 headshell, fitted with Funk Firm Houdini and Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp and Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp, fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

  9. #29
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

    Posts: 14,540
    I'm David.

    Default

    No it won't Marco, Alex will be spending twice as much time listening to music
    I can't go on and I can't go back, I don't feel so matter of fact,
    I tried and tried to make good sense, What's the good to try it all again?

  10. #30
    Join Date: Dec 2008

    Location: Yorks

    Posts: 16,643
    I'm Nobody.

    Default

    Na i loved vinyl at one bit but listerned to more CD. Even though Vinyl does seem to sound great on a good system, i'm sorry to say CD does actually give the most indepth better listerning for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •