+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 124 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Jimbos Audio ramblings

I'm Geoff.

My first amplifier came from a chap named Sugar. It was a disaster!

The next one was an obscure Japanese 'Olson' and was just fine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My first amplifier came from a chap named Sugar. It was a disaster!

The next one was an obscure Japanese 'Olson' and was just fine.
    ha... amstrad... not the best gear about but made him millions
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    My first amplifier was a home-built Mullard 5-10. The TT was a Garrard SP25 II, with a Shure M3D cartridge (later replaced with an Audio Technika AT66). Speaker(s) were home-built using a Wharfedale RS8DD drive unit in a Wharfedale-designed distributed port enclosure of about 1 cu ft in size.

Later donated it all to my parents who used it with a Teleton 206Q amplifier:

Happy days.
    Not seen that brand before? I had a garrard Sp25 II early on, bit plasticky if I remember?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Interesting isn't it how we have all gone through a succession of amplifiers over the years and probably tried an assortment of technology, valves, Solid state, Class A, Class A-B and maybe now Class D. Amplification is a funny thing as it is difficult to know when you have got it right as there are always compromises along the way. With Class A it could be power. With valves it could be current and power. Sometimes we think we need loads of grunt and then other times we can hear an EL34 single ended Class A amp with flea power and be in heaven.

I suppose over the years we try a great variety of gear and come to conclusions what suits our ears best and this maybe divided between Transistor or Valve or Class A or Class A-B etc. I know I have settled with all valve preamp and phono stage and a Hybrid OTL power amp but to me they give an insight and presentation of the recording that sounds just right to my ears. I expect some of us a have different ideas of what sound we are trying to achieve and are dictated by power and speakers to go down a particular route.

I started out with a flea bite early transistor amp then leaped to a Quad 405-2 100 watt channel amp. I found the Quads a little plain vanilla for my liking but it did not stop me for going back for more later when they released the 606. It was a sweet sounding beast that just did the job but was not spectacular in any way.

In between I really liked a Leak Stereo 20 that had been re capped and upgraded by Glenn Croft which I used with his tiny Croft Micro. Very sweet and revealing sound and for me contained a little audio magic which I held in my thoughts for many years into the future when eventually I ended up with my current set up of Croft 25R and Series 7 power amp. I was indeed fortunate to live near Glenn and between 1986 and 2015 I heard most of the models of amps that he built along the way, some of which were very rare and short lived liked the Dakshini all valve OTL. His amps always got to the heart of the music and with vinyl seemed to take you right into the recording.

When I get some time I would like to write a little about his amps starting with the Micro and running through all his various models over the years as I can remember pretty well how most of them sounded. I am still very sad till this day that he is no longer with us. A true Gent and genius of the hifi world and his values and principles were a fantastic model for us audiophiles who wanted high end sound at low end prices!.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Grant.

Mitsubishi had a hand in teleton... quite decent stuff
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Mitsubishi had a hand in teleton... quite decent stuff
    Don't think Mitsubishi are doing electronics much nowadays, more cars and air conditioning systems?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Mitsubishi? Or as I call them 'Shake it to bitsy'.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    No, I believe you, I have had similar speaker-couch set ups in the dim and distant past. It may even improve the sound due to damping. The reason I was saying I would have to move it was because visually I would find it hard to cope with it there. i.e 'it's just me'
    If James were to replace the sofa with a rocking chair for when he plays his Val Doonican records it would be like Val was in the room
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    If James were to replace the sofa with a rocking chair for when he plays his Val Doonican records it would be like Val was in the room
    He also has a world class collection of Max Bygraves 33s and 45s
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    He also has a world class collection of Max Bygraves 33s and 45s
    your worst nightmare?

thats a lot of teeth
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 124 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast