+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 81 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: The Marco-boy main system, as of August 2020

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    It's interesting how having a Flatsreen adjacent to speakers affects the sound. My Kuro is nearest to the Left speaker and affects the volume somewhat, so I have to sit off-centre to adjust for imagery.
    Hi Chris,

It probably does (likely not in a good way either), and so does having a glass display cabinet so close to the R/H speaker, and a huge Welsh dresser behind the L/H one, both of which prevent the speakers from being more optimally positioned further back towards the wall, etc, etc... You get the picture!

An 'optimised room for sound' it isn't (although I've done my best in that respect, especially with attention paid to the stands, mains and cabling) - it's simply a comfortable/cosy and welcoming space in which to enjoy music [and the system does sound really good], but where the priority is in enjoying our antiques and collectables, plus lovely inglenook fireplace and wood burner, which is the focal point for us, not the TV...

Aesthetically, in a traditional room like ours (and in an old house), having a large(ish) plastic flatscreen TV is a necessary evil [for us more of an eyesore], and so not in any way considered as a 'statement piece'. It wouldn't even be that if we could fit something in that was much bigger, but of course it's required in order to enjoy our favourite TV shows and movies to a high standard. The 'home-cinema' experience, in that respect, is arguably more impressive than the audio-only one.

I wouldn't want to turn the room into a 'hi-fi demo' space, and neither would Del - we've got the dedicated music room upstairs for that, where the main system resides, and *everything* has been addressed to optimise the sound!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Such as, Geoff?

In terms of the review, it's a bit jumbled up, due to whoever it was having copied the pages in the wrong sequence, but it's all there if you look and can manage to decipher the content in the right order!

Marco.
    The pads bonded front and back of the ABR are made of bituminised sheet, but I suspect their main function is to add tuning mass to the diaphragm rather than to damp. It is also implied that the HF1300 is a ring radiator and reference is made to a Voigt tweeter having a central spider. There is no central fixing on the tweeter diaphragm, it is really a type of dome tweeter with a wide suspension incorporated into the diaphragm surround.

The HF1300 is a wonderful device. It is not peaky at all, but can sound a bit hard on axis, which I think is a colouration effect, but it portrays ambience and depth incredibly well and despite having a large moving mass for a tweeter, it displays superb perceived transient response. I have a few sets of various versions of these.

For a bit of fun, keep an eye out for the Ditton 120. It's like a miniature Ditton 15 and has a BIG sound that totally belies its small dimensions. They are rare!

It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

None of our rooms are perfect, hi-fi wise, I'm sure. The amount of pics I see with speakers firing into chairs/Sofas, etc....
    I had to get rid of my Klipschorns when we moved into this split-level lounged house. No useable corners to fit the horns into .(Though, now, having thought further, I might try making 'artificial' corners)
    The current Opera horns really need 3 feet behind them,minimum, but in a 10 X 14 space? And with both the 50" screen, plus full height windows reflecting, not perfect.
    Chris.

Hi Chris,

Yup, everything's a compromise, especially our living spaces (unless you live on your own) we put our systems into and have to share with others. I'm sure your horns still sound really good

Do saxes and trumpets sound really convincing through them? IME, nothing can touch good horns for getting those types of instruments right, in terms of reproducing the necessary dynamics!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Just a wee system update... Have ordered two of these NOS Melz 1960s vintage valves for my valve headphone amp: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6N16B-V-6...72.m2749.l2649

Should be good

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The pads bonded front and back of the ABR are made of bituminised sheet, but I suspect their main function is to add tuning mass to the diaphragm rather than to damp. It is also implied that the HF1300 is a ring radiator and reference is made to a Voigt tweeter having a central spider. There is no central fixing on the tweeter diaphragm, it is really a type of dome tweeter with a wide suspension incorporated into the diaphragm surround.

The HF1300 is a wonderful device. It is not peaky at all, but can sound a bit hard on axis, which I think is a colouration effect, but it portrays ambience and depth incredibly well and despite having a large moving mass for a tweeter, it displays superb perceived transient response. I have a few sets of various versions of these.

For a bit of fun, keep an eye out for the Ditton 120. It's like a miniature Ditton 15 and has a BIG sound that totally belies its small dimensions. They are rare!

Interesting, Geoff. I'll keep an eye out for those - didn't even know they existed!

I can't dispute your other points, in terms of Hayden's statements, as I wouldn't know, but totally agree with your views on the HF1300, although there is no brightness with them in my system. Quite frankly, they piss all over the modern soft-dome units in the XRs - a different league.

Marco.
    Main System

Cool My Tube Distinctions Copper Amp...

Been polishing the Copper amp today, in readiness for firing her up in the first time in a long time - spent nearly 2 hours cleaning it and my hands are now numb, lol...

Looking pretty good I think...

This is my pride and joy - hand-built from scratch by Anthony Matthews, point-to-point wired throughout internally, featuring hand-wound output transformers and Sowter mains transformer. 40W Class A, when fitted with Cryo-treated Tung Sol KT-150 output valves, NOS 1950s Russian Melz 6H8C (6SN7 equivalents) driver valves, plus NOS RCA 5U4GB rectifiers.

At the rear, Furutech FP-901 rhodium over pure-copper phono sockets have been fitted, along with Cardas solid-copper speaker terminals and a Furutech FI-03 rhodium over pure-copper IEC socket, all to ensure maximum conductivity and signal transfer. Plus also mono variable-feedback controls. Amp weighs 40kg.

It forms a formidable combination with my modded Croft preamp, and drives my 95db 15" Tannoy MGs in Lockwood cabinets, erm, rather nicely!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Hi Darren,

Glad you're enjoying the SPU and SUT - any chance of some pics?

Yeah, the loading plugs are great, although I've settled on a slightly different value from you, which is fine as our systems are different. However, if you're using the 'Y' adaptors, fitted with short cables, try these splitters instead, with the loading plugs you've got:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Plat...72.m2749.l2649

I found that they notably improved matters sonically, especially as they remove the capacitance of the attached cables/wires [stated by the manufacturer as 70pF] and so allow you to utilise the actual electrical value of the resistors that the plugs are fitted with, without 'hearing' the effect of the partnering cables.

Trust me, I think you'll like it and probably arrive at using a different value

Marco.
    I'll try and upload some pics of the SPU and SUT this weekend. I am now using the brown loading plugs instead of the red as i think this is giving the best balance for me. I've yet to order the splitters you linked to but will do at some point. I've ordered a Houdini as well, which i'm really looking forward to trying.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Been polishing the Copper amp today, in readiness for firing her up in the first time in a long time - spent nearly 2 hours cleaning it and my hands are now numb, lol...

Looking pretty good I think...

This is my pride and joy - hand-built from scratch by Anthony Matthews, point-to-point wired throughout internally, featuring hand-wound output transformers and Sowter mains transformer. 40W Class A, fitted with Cryo-treated Tung Sol KT-150 output valves, NOS 1950s Russian Melz 6H8C (6SN7 equivalents) driver valves, plus NOS RCA 5U4GB rectifiers.

At the rear, Furutech FP-901 rhodium over pure-copper phono sockets have been fitted, along with Cardas solid-copper speaker terminals and a Furutech FI-03 rhodium over pure-copper IEC socket, all to ensure maximum conductivity and signal transfer. Plus also mono variable-feedback controls. Amp weighs 40kg.

It forms a formidable combination with my modded Croft preamp, and drives my 95db 15" Tannoy MGs in Lockwood cabinets, erm, rather nicely!

Marco.
    Fair do's Marco, that's one bad ass looking power amp!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Always liked that avatar.
    I call her "The Rigonda Girl". It's a Rigonda something or other (Andre would know) she's leaning on.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They look pretty tidy. Andre's favourite Celestion IIRC
    As Marco says Andre favoured the 33's , if memory serves 15's were Gordon Steadman's favourite?

Glad you're happy with them Marco. I remember reading lots of recommendations for them, but was always (unduly it seems) a bit afraid of trouble with the tweeter. Have you established whats in the x-over yet? If it's the same cap as the XR's we could just swap them (crazy expensive Jantzens?). I think I've got some suitable Mundorf E-Caps in my spares draw or I'm sure I saw Andy had some Clarity caps going for a song to keep your XR's running.

Holy moly your Copper Amp looks good
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 81 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast