+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: tv hifi spotting

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Quad FM2 tuner with Quad QC1 preamp (and presumably a Quad II power amp). Garrard pick-up arm on what might be a Collaro 2010 turntable.
    Thanks Barry, wasn't sure about the turntable. It was in George Clarke's programme tonight, they were demonstrating that open plan living was nothing new with this old Pathe news film.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Saw one where they'd bought a model train for $8000 & it sold at auction for $3000. In one I saw tonight they paid $85,000 for 3 old motorbikes, Mike said one was very rare but half the motor was missing!
    I saw the one with the model train. I happen to know a little about model trains and I knew they were screwing up. I didn’t see the $85K for motorbikes?! Seriously, how much profit do they expect to make? They want to be big time bike collectors, but they know nothing! It takes years of hanging around bike rallies and swap meets, etc to learn what things are worth. I saw them pay $3500 for a beat up gas tank! The guy only asked $3000, but he insisted on paying more, who does that? I bet if you tried to go to their store, you’d find it doesn’t really exist.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I saw the one with the model train. I happen to know a little about model trains and I knew they were screwing up. I didn’t see the $85K for motorbikes?! Seriously, how much profit do they expect to make? They want to be big time bike collectors, but they know nothing! It takes years of hanging around bike rallies and swap meets, etc to learn what things are worth. I saw them pay $3500 for a beat up gas tank! The guy only asked $3000, but he insisted on paying more, who does that? I bet if you tried to go to their store, you’d find it doesn’t really exist.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Must admit I have often thought it was bollocks. These old blokes with garages full of tat must be rubbing their hands when they see them pull up.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

Quad FM2 tuner with Quad QC1 preamp (and presumably a Quad II power amp). Garrard pick-up arm on what might be a Collaro 2010 turntable.
    Judging by the strobe markings you can just about see by his hand, I’d say it’s actually a Garrard 301 with the TPA10 arm.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I didn’t see the $85K for motorbikes?! Seriously, how much profit do they expect to make?
    The bike they paid most for (and I forget the split, think this one was $55k of the $85k?) was a 4 cylinder Ace, quite a rare bike apparently BUT the reason the bloke who had it hadn't restored it was that he couldn't get the parts (most of the motor & transmission were missing). Surely toot & ploot would have the same problem?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Judging by the strobe markings you can just about see by his hand, I’d say it’s actually a Garrard 301 with the TPA10 arm.
    I initially thought that, but I'm not so sure if they are strobe markings. Also the rear edge of the TT is square, unlike that of the 301, and any arm used with a 301 would be mounted outboard of the deck.

I mentioned the Collaro 2010/Garrard TPA10 combination, as that was what the father of a school chum of mine used (actually it might have been a TPA12A arm, with a Leak Stereo 20 amp and Wharefedale SFB3 speakers). And very good it sounded to my 16 year old ears!

My second TT was a Collaro 2010 (a "poor mans' 301") with an SME 3009 arm.
    Barry

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    The bike they paid most for (and I forget the split, think this one was $55k of the $85k?) was a 4 cylinder Ace, quite a rare bike apparently BUT the reason the bloke who had it hadn't restored it was that he couldn't get the parts (most of the motor & transmission were missing). Surely toot & ploot would have the same problem?
    As I was saying, they are wannabe bike collectors, but just don’t have the background. In the real world you don’t get to make too many mistakes like that.

At least on Pawn Stars, they don’t know anything either, but they have experts they call on and they rarely loose money.

Russell

I'm sorted.

‘Punk’ on Sky Arts, Pioneer PL12D

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The PL12D was very popular in the '70. Geoff (walpurgis) of this parish has one, and thinks well of it.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

The PL12D was very popular in the '70. Geoff (walpurgis) of this parish has one, and thinks well of it.
    I may have two. I think there's also a mint boxed one hiding in the loft somewhere. I should have a rummage for it!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 59 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast