I had a mooch about the place yesterday and it would seem 35Khz is about what is obtainable in terms of hf for reasonable money ... Higher reaponse seems to cost more? Is that fair ... What response wil give good effect?
I had a mooch about the place yesterday and it would seem 35Khz is about what is obtainable in terms of hf for reasonable money ... Higher reaponse seems to cost more? Is that fair ... What response wil give good effect?
CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra
Location: Yorks
Posts: 16,643
I'm Nobody.
Found the article - I'll scan it next week.
The recommendation is to restrict the frequency range with a 0.01uF capacitor in line. Then limit the output to a homeopathic level of a mere 10 Ohms, wired across the speaker rather than in series.
I jumped the feed directly from the speaker posts.
Steve & Valerie
www.electricbeachaudio.com
If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching
A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string
My suspicion is that it's not so much about the frequencies above our audible range that supertweeters assist with, it's more to do with how they are integrated with the existing tweeter. Bringing in a supertweeter at say 12kHz will add air your sound as you're pumping up the volume at frequencies where your hearing is disappearing.
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,468
I'm Paul.
Bang On Clive!!
If you measure your tweeter response with and without supertweeters connected you will see a huge difference in the measurements. Done right supertweeters even out the tweeter response, especially at the HF roll off.
~Paul~
Location: Yorks
Posts: 16,643
I'm Nobody.
Having elicited 7 pages of replies, I should probably admit that my original post was a bit of a leading question, but I wanted to get others' views before I said anything.
I actually owned a pair of Townshend super tweeters and even though I was using them with the Sonus Faber Extremas that I had at the time, I found they had a very definite and positive effect. I was very sceptical initially, especially as the Extremas used one of the very best tweeters available, so I managed to get them on home-trial for two weeks.
The very odd thing is that hardly any sound can be heard from them, they really do seem to impact the whole of the music, but particularly spatial clues at acoustics.
Unfortunately they went at the same time as the Extrema's is a frantic cash-gathering period, however I'm very keen to experiment again.
Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Location: Yorks
Posts: 16,643
I'm Nobody.
Back in my Russ Andrews worshipping days i used a pair of superb Visitation Ribbon tweeters.i used a simple polyprop capacitor in line with em. They were about £100 a pair back then, i don't know how much they are now but these tweeters explained to me why dome tweeters give out nothing but distortion.
http://www.visaton.de/en/high_end/ht...n/mht12_8.html