sony mdr-ex500lp earbud

Just bought a pair of these from the shop today, didnt check up on them first - i got them staff priceand was atracted to the aparently large 13.5mm drivers!?..

im wondering if anyone has lived with a pair for a while?
the reason i ask is because im wondering if anyone knows what sort of break in to expect on them?
out of the box, after about 45 mins of use im about as confused as i possibly could be as to weather they are any good or not!!
im using them with my ipod with 256kbps mp3s, i have listened to quite a lot of music - regina spector, crash test dummies, nightmares on was, counting crows, fugazi, imogen heap....

the overwhelming respose im getting from them is a lot of bass - quite one noted bass at that! a quite dull lower mid, the dullness is still there through lower vocals then there seems to be a really clear higher vocals and higher mid, and then then a grainy high end.
vocals are quite odd.. they are ranging from dull to detailed within a few notes and its quite amazing the detail that does come through on there higher mids....
im just confused .... anyone got insight? could this just be that they are not broken in... does that happen with earbuds??

i have been using some dirt cheep earbuds for a while now (they said llama on them - says it all) so these are quite clearly better .. and they are very comfy..