Quote Originally Posted by tonerei View Post
Lads on a Level4 reading a variety of threads a few valves are suggested for the ECC40 valves. Tungsram, Phillips white label and on occasion some strange variants.
What valves will work in that position and where are you buying them? Thanks in advance.
Most are the same...tall with the skirt. i have seen short ones with the skirt by eother Sonotone or Selectron. Then there is the squat no skirt Tungram, which i though was the only different construction. However, I have since seen Siemens which had identical construction.

The consensus is that the Mullards CV3884 are the worst, in that they are the least robust. All ECC40 tubes sound good, but the Tungram squat construction tube type seems to shade the other types in tersm of midrange and bass.

In terms of skirted tubes, I have seen Mullards, Phillips, Triotron, Selectron and Sonotone. I think Siemens ALSO has a skirted version too.