Beware that low flying cloud of moths, I've finally opened my wallet

What with all the fabulous construction of DCB1 preamps in all their states of turbo charging, I have had the pleasure of hearing what a quality switched attenuator can bring to the party.

The answer is an opening of a (very wide) door to what is really contained in all your favourite music
It is well known that a passive pot can stifle the dynamics/presentation/depth/(insert your own word) of an audio signal so it has only confirmed this being the case with the Alps Blue control in my KIN preamp.

For a while I have switched to using one of the cheap Chinese RVCs (resistor/relay volume control) as that has given a greater clarity to the system.
Now knowing that a switched attenuator, the Khozmo in particular, is the most transparent control I have heard, I have bitten the bullet and decided that I need to fit one into the KIN.

However I wanted to keep the remote control function and the remote add on for the Khozmo is both large and expensive.
Searching around I came across Acoustic Dimension switched attenuators http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/at...ators-main.htm
The bonus with this one is that the remote control for an Alps pot works identically with the Acoustic Dimension.

Inside of the KIN with the new switched attenuator:

Fortunately there was a little spare room to push the phono section board back to accommodate the larger control.
All I can say is 'why didn't I do this earlier?', the sound is now phenomenally good.

Close up of the Acoustic Dimension attenuator:

On short initial listening I think this is as good as the Khozmo attenuator, more listening will be done and other ears will be entertained, with results reported in due course.

So what's all the fuss? One of the biggest upgrades you can do IMO, that's what.

Happy bunny