+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Who's up for a "Cheap as Chips" Challenge?

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Loved the CAC room good to see old faces and put faces to other members, don't know where the time went but thoroughly enjoyed myself,congrats to all who took part i think you all deserve medals,
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Just have to indulge myself once more - great comment from earlofsodbury on the Wam - thank you Paul!

The cheap-as-chips system featuring Ram 150 large standmounts - sounded seriously fucking good, if it'd had a £1K pricetag I'd have thought it a bargain. Makes me wonder what some of us think we're doing?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I know what "some of us think we're doing..."

We're chasing an impossible dream and, sometimes, it needs a wake up call such as the CaC systems to bring us down to earth. In fairness, those Ram's would be a grand the pair at least if sold these days and nearer two grand if priced to sell through Sevenoaks, where a 60% margin is needed (at least) to get the (commission based) sales up.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    . In fairness, those Ram's would be a grand the pair at least if sold these days and nearer two grand if priced to sell through Sevenoaks, where a 60% margin is needed (at least) to get the (commission based) sales up.
    Dave I think you are forgetting far east manufacturing costs - the RAMs were good but not as good as, say B&W 683 which are a grand brand new:

http://www.audiot.co.uk/products/b-w...akers-372.aspx

Although I doubt they would work that well with the little Cambridge amp.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334