I am very new to all this, so please forgive me if this post is not quite in the right place.

I would be very glad of help answering some questions concerning the transfer of content from VHSC tapes to digital media.
Using an adapter (to VHS) I can use a VCR to play the tapes and record direct onto disc using a Cambridge Audio machine (highest quality setting produces an mpeg2 file of approximately 4.7Gb per hour of tape).
Would I gain any significant quality by playing the tapes on the camera they were filmed with?
I'm sure the results using this method should be 'acceptable', but, with an eye on the future, would it be a good idea to keep uncompressed digital versions of these tapes? - future software may be able to renovate my precious family images to a much higher standard than is currently available, and it would be good to have retained a version that could take advantage of this. The files would, I realise, be huge, but I am prepared to invest in an external hard drive for this purpose if necessary, or split the content into segments that could be stored on DVD and stitched together after renovation.
..any suggestions gratefully received.