+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So many turntables so little time!

I'm David.

Default So many turntables so little time!

I have a major dilemma. My Techie is sounding about as good as it will get (I can't justify a MN platter and bearing... its just me), I now have a Garrard 401 which almost looks brand new and is now in a new MDF plinth. The Michell technoarm is working well, the 401 plinth has a cut out for an SME arm and I got another board for a Rega as well.

I have a 309 lined up but the deal is not certain and may fall through, what do I do as I want to use both TT's, I could put the 309 on the Garrard or put the 309 on the Techie and Technoarm on the 401, if the deal for the 309 falls through what can I put on the 401?

Serious consideration has to be given, I was getting a Jelco until the owner started dithering and is now buying a house instead and maybe selling his Jelco later in the year now...

I also have an RB300 sat doing nothing and a Linn Basic.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi David,

I have a major dilemma. My Techie is sounding about as good as it will get (I can't justify a MN platter and bearing... its just me)
    LOL - what are you like?

I'm afraid that quality engineering costs money, especially when it's coming from the other side of the world.....

No doubt you could justify someone buying a pair of Black Rhodium Cantata interconnects at £3800, though?

I have a 309 lined up but the deal is not certain and may fall through, what do I do as I want to use both TT's, I could put the 309 on the Garrard or put the 309 on the Techie and Technoarm on the 401, if the deal for the 309 falls through what can I put on the 401?
    Presuming you get it, I'd put the 309 on the Techie and the Tecnoarm on the 401. From experience, that's likely to provide the best synergy.

Serious consideration has to be given, I was getting a Jelco until the owner started dithering and is now buying a house instead and maybe selling his Jelco later in the year now...
    Indeed, and he never at any stage gave an exact date when he was selling his Jelco!

I also have an RB300 sat doing nothing and a Linn Basic.
    I'd sell them both, as the other two arms you've got are better. What on earth made you buy a Linn Basik? It's shite.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What on earth made you buy a Linn Basik? It's shite
    Marco, I know you're trying to be polite, but I wouldn't spare David's feelings, he's a big boy - tell him how it really is!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    I have a major dilemma. My Techie is sounding about as good as it will get (I can't justify a MN platter and bearing... its just me).
    WARNING! ERROR! You are only about half way there without the platter and bearing upgrades. You have NO IDEA how much better it could sound. I didn't either until I heard it for myself.

Rather than splitting your funds over two decks, jump in and see what truly high end sound is like

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    WARNING! ERROR! You are only about half way there without the platter and bearing upgrades. You have NO IDEA how much better it could sound. I didn't either until I heard it for myself.

Rather than splitting your funds over two decks, jump in and see what truly high end sound is like
    Thx, some sensible advice for a change.

I'm David.

marco,
    it's actually a basic plus, any better? I got it to put on one of the 4 remaining lenco's I have left, if the 309 deal fall's through I will get Mike's platter then!

Lol - go for the bearing first. You can't use the platter with the stock bearing

The only Linn arms I'd entertain using are the Ittok (if you can find one with decent bearings) and the Ekos, but then, when you start getting into that kind of money there are other (better) options for use on a non-Linn T/T.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I couldn't agree more. The way you're going, you'll just end up with loads of turntables that you love but rarely use. Just like me in fact....

However I'd go a different route as you already have a high end turntable in the Garrard. Personally, I'd sell the Techie, RB300 and Tecnoarm and treat the 401 to a posh plinth and an SME IV/V or Audio Origami PU7.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

Hi Adam,

That's a very valid option, providing David prefers the 'house' sound of the Garrard to the Techie.

The thing about the Techie, however, is that one hasn't really heard it until an MN bearing and platter have been fitted - those items really do launch it into a different league.

What David has to do is decide what his favourite deck is, and/or what he considers has the most potential, and then max that one out

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nobody.

Keep the '401' throw the other deck in the bin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast