+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Telly's... which one ??

I'm Steve.

cheers chaps
    given me food for thought.
    They have all dropped away in price since we bought the last one 3 years ago !

I'm Shane.

Two days ago I bought a Sony kdl32ex403 from Richer Sounds for £299, mainly because I was fed up with not seeing what's going on at the edges on my old 21" CRT, and I have to say I'm knocked over at how good it is. I've been very disappointed at most of the LCD TVs I've seen, particularly the "painting by numbers" contouring effects they mostly get, but there's none of that on here. The picture on HD is brilliant, but on normal TV it's really good as well. I always assumed that I would be irritated by watching normal standard TV on an HD set, but not so.

The thing that's really surprised me though is how versatile it is. I wasn't sure what I would want a wifi connected telly for, especially since Sony want £60 for a comapatable wifi dongle, but then I found it has an ethernet connection. Plugged into my Squeezebox, which can act as a wireless bridge connection to my router, I now get BBC I-player at near-broadcast quality, plus 4 OD, and a load of other stuff I haven't begun to explore yet. TYou can also use it as a PC monitor, or plug a USB stick in to watch photos or movies. Add to that a built in freeview HD tuner and I can honestly say that this is the first time I've ever bought a piece of consumer electronics and been genuinely surprised and delighted by how far it exceeded my (admittedly low) expectations.

Oh yes, Richer Sounds also added a 5-year warranty for £30. I have no idea how reliable these things are...

Details here: http://www.richersounds.com/product/...ony-kdl32ex403

Review here: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-...0100418346.htm
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Mike.

Well i've got a 42' philips ambilight, and i must say it's great, i use it as a tv and a monitor for my pc, the picture's great and the lights around the screen really do add to the enjoyment, after a while you don't notice that they're there it only when you go to a friends or watch a different tv that you feel something is missing. And yes crt is still the best picture on everything but HD, however lcd / led is a lot smaller an easier to site AND it can handle HD so Dr Who will never look the same again

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Well i've got a 42' philips ambilight, and i must say it's great, i use it as a tv and a monitor for my pc, the picture's great and the lights around the screen really do add to the enjoyment
    I agree to a point on the Ambilight What you may not notice is how it distorts the colours on the screen (as seen by you) when you are watching it

My 56" has the spectra 3 version, what i have done is permanently set the colour to as close to 6500K as possible (look up about D65 backlighting) & this really does improve things
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I have spotted a number of excellent Sony 28 and 32 inch FX65 and FQ75 sets (5 - 7 years ago the very best Sony had on their books)
    Sony CRT TVs just go on forever. Our TV is a Trinitron, there is another in the kitchen and up until a few years ago we had one in our bedroom too. I felt really guilty about binning the one from our bedroom as it was over twenty years old and the picture was still perfect. It was just too big for the room.

I just don't see the point in changing them. I've looked at LCD TVs in the shops and frankly they're not as good as the Sony CRT. I also question the reliability of them. I know quite a few people who've had expensive LCD TVs pack in, just out of warranty, and the repair has either been very expensive or not economic at all.

For what? Just so that your TV is thinner!

If i was forced to own a CRT TV then there are only 2 models i'd be interested in & both are made by Panasonic

TX32-PD50 & TX36-PD50 No others would even get a look in as far as i'm concerned. Been there with a few Trinitrons & yes the picture is great, not so sure about the reliability though having had one go faulty on more than one occasion
    Bests, Mark

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Well for me, so it was bigger - only went Panny Plasma for a bigger screen size, which is CRT's limitation.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    If i was forced to own a CRT TV then there are only 2 models i'd be interested in & both are made by Panasonic

TX32-PD50 & TX36-PD50 No others would even get a look in as far as i'm concerned. Been there with a few Trinitrons & yes the picture is great, not so sure about the reliability though having had one go faulty on more than one occasion

Great TV (the one I own)... good sound, great picture and feed it a good signal from your aerial and double wow It also reproduces white really well too.

I had a Sony 32 Fq75. Very nice on Sky and DVD not as good on TV aerial signals. White could be an issue also. The sound was also a tad poor.

Regards D S D L

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Great TV (the one I own)... good sound, great picture and feed it a good signal from your aerial and double wow
    Wise choice When they first came out i'd have given & arm & a leg to get hold of one The things are damn near full HD anyway & generate more lines than a 720P LCD screen (800+ if i remember right ) as well as inbuilt progressive scanning...

It's the kiddy
    Bests, Mark

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up

I just don't see the point in changing them. I've looked at LCD TVs in the shops and frankly they're not as good as the Sony CRT. I also question the reliability of them. I know quite a few people who've had expensive LCD TVs pack in, just out of warranty, and the repair has either been very expensive or not economic at all.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast