+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: It's now time to ditch your Sound Hi-Fi/Herbie's mats...

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    so there's another opperchancity to get ya ladeee involved in yer hi-fi geekiness!
    I presume that statement, doesn't also apply to this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Once done, it's pretty easy after that to apply the sticky bits to the mat.....
    Oh, you didn't mean those sticky bits! Sorry, my bad!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No, we're not talking about any clots or 'lady juice'!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Well, I'm sure I don't understand what Marco and Alex are on about.

Anyways ... I decided that openness and honesty were the best policy (they usually are in marriage, imho).

"Have we got any Vaseline?" I asked.
    "Oh" she repled in concern "Which bit of you is sore?".

"No" I said "it's for my new turntable mat."
    "Ah." she smiled. "Yes, in the bathroom."

So ... job done. And yes, the sticky pad things are easy to sort once you get the knack ... luckily I don't chew my fingernails so I didn't have to ask the missus to help.

Bloody hell - the mat's not going to come off in a hurry is it? I reckon it will require a pickaxe to get it off. New turntable? - I'll have to get a new Funk mat!

But yes, it's well worth it.
    The immediate and very very obvious improvement for me is a solidity and coherence to the imaging. A small group of chamber musicians suddenly sounds like they are sitting in a concert hall, near each other and playing as a single coherent, mutually supportive musical ensemble.

Yes, the bass is more solid, and the treble a bit smoother and more lucid. But for me the main benefit is a musical one not an obviously hifi one. The playing of the musicians just makes one hell of a lot more sense.

Nicely effective, innit?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Excellent, Jerry. Mirrors my experience.

Btw, Martin, when I was at Nick G's place, having Paul's new silver DC cable fitted (which you MUST do A.S.A.P, as the improvement it makes is unbelievable!), we discovered a novel (if rather unsubtle) way of removing the MN platter, without disturbing the bonded Achromat.

With the Techy completely disconnected from your system, pop it on the floor, then remove the cartridge and headshell from your tonearm, fix the armtube in place with some tape (or whatever), so it cannot move, and then just turn the turntable upside down, near to the floor, give it a quick jerk, and the platter simply pops out (with the mat undisturbed) allowing you access to the PCB, in order to fit the new DC cable - simples!

So, worry no longer about having to prize off heavily-bonded Achromats, to get at the innards of yer Techy!

Marco.
    Main System

MartinT Guest

Thanks, Marco. I'll be doing the PH cable mod as soon as I get back from holiday.

Mike_New Guest

Another factor to bear in mind when considering the high bond sticky pads or the double sided tapes. Is that you may require to remove the mat in the future (so that you can remove the platter) and this may prove to be a difficult task when dealing with the Achromat.
    This is why I reccomended the Vasselene/Silicon Grease approach way back.
    With the grease it is relatively easy to use a thin blade (I used a steel backed razor blade and two credit cards) to gently release the vacuum seal that forms if you did the job properly in the first place.

And much more importantly as Martin says there should be no air bubbles between the mat and the platter, with correctly applied grease this is avoided.

I'm Malcolm.

Hiya - proud owner of a 'new' (to me) 1210 - currently in stock form with a brand new Ortofon 2M blue. To me it stands as it is as a great deck and I've been enjoying some old and some new vinyl since she arrived.

Didn't know whether to bump this thread or create my own -- I have 95% decided to pull the plug on an Achromat as my first 'tweak'. I was kind of sold on reading this thread, and realising that Mr Pink Triangle is behind it (as a former LPT user - big fan!). The deck currently has the heavy Technics rubber mat (it has a model number on the back).

I have made an aesthetic decision that the platter stays - part of the romance for it (for me - this is purely personal of course) is that the thing should look like a 1210 complete with stroboscope straight from the 70s. If I could afford it, I'd buy that big Yamaha integrated with the VU metres to go with it.

Anyway - my question is about bonding/sealing the Achromat to the Technics platter - as I'm at the start of my journey and as things may be happening 'under the hood' in the coming months and years, I'd like to keep it as easy as possible to remove the mat and platter. Is Vaseline alone enough for a good bond/seal, or does it really need to be the tape as well? How easy is it to remove a taped down mat, and do they come off without damage?

I'm figuring with the nice cart, a tweak with the mat and a nice phono stage - I should be set until I can save for nice example of a 309 or Series IV when one comes up (buy well, buy once). I'm thinking of SME as I find them really nice and secure to operate - as I can be a bit of a Nervous Nelly at the deck. I'm playing with a borrowed Michell record clamp as well at the moment - but would like to try a weight before I pull the plug on a purchase.

Technics SL1210 MkII / SME 309 / Timestep PSU / Achromat / Denon DL-304
    Phono stage PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Lossless / MP3 / Tidal > Roon > Bryston BDP-1USB > Marantz NA-11S1
    Marantz UD7007 SACD/Blu-ray/DVD-V/DVD-A
    Toshiba BDX1200 Blu-ray player (Zone A & Region 1)
    Audiolab 8200AP pre-amp/processor
    Power amp: Arcam P7
    B&W 804S stereo (bi-amped), HTM4S centre, CDMSNT surrounds (5.0)
    Sennheiser HD 700 headphones
    Panasonic PT-AT6000 projector

MartinT Guest

Use Vaseline, not tape. The bond formed is very strong and airtight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast