+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All new QUAD 33/303

I'm Martin.

Default All new QUAD 33/303

Maybe they haven't got the look quite right, but it's close enough to give them a pass.

Much better than their uber-bland looking ranges of the last ten years or so:

Launches at the Munich show.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

IMO they have made a very good stab at bringing the '33' pre and '303' power combination up to date, without losing their iconic looks.

I would be interested to see the connections: presumably RCA in place of the original DIN.
    Barry

I'm John.

I like them

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Yeah, look great in a retro yet modern way.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

They look lovely maintaining their vintage looks with a modern twist....nice
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Audiolab M-PWR
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm James.

Nice attempt to bring these iconic amps back in 2024. I wonder how they sound? I see they have balanced connections as well as RCA.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    IMO they have made a very good stab at bringing the '33' pre and '303' power combination up to date, without losing their iconic looks.

I would be interested to see the connections: presumably RCA in place of the original DIN.
    I've done a little research - the new 33 has one input (?) labeled XLR and the new 303 has both RCA and XLR input connectors. But it is not obvious if the XLR connections are balanced.

I also note the 'tone controls' are the same bass boost/cut and tilt controls first introduced on the 44 and later 34 preamps.

All in all, a valiant attempt by Quad to return to mainstream audio, after years of 'faffing about' with revamped valve designs with the old-fashioned looks of the Series II electronics.

If manufacture can return to the UK, so much the better - but the new 33/303 combination will not be cheap.
    Barry

It was last year that the Leak name was re-vamped and the electronics brought up to date, along with the black and silver livery of the original Leak gear.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

What is the point when they have the Artera range which looks so much more up to date and swish ?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    What is the point when they have the Artera range which looks so much more up to date and swish ?
    I think it looks bland and boring.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast