+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A confession.

I'm Steve.

I have tried it, but the bloody thing was in my hand permanently. So I am going to try going 'cold turkey'. But if that doesn't work I will revisit vaping.

I am determined this time. Mrs. P has some diagnosed lung problems, and the doctor says that although not directly caused by smoking, it certainly doesn't help. If I carry on smoking she has no chance of giving up.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Some wise words from Barry and Macca, advice which younger folk would do well to heed, while they still can. A lot trickier to make those sort of changes after a lifetime of doing things a certain way.

But... I plan to stop smoking in a couple of weeks when my supply runs out, and as an incentive I intend to put half of the money saved into an account of my own. That might work The only downside is that I'll be (even more) difficult to live with for a while.
    I'm not trying to preach or be 'holier than thou', but as an ex smoker, admittedly not very much, stopping is an extremely sensible thing to do.
    It undermines our psychology, demotivating us from better endeavours and we all know all the costs.

When I worked as a BT linesman for seven years in London, I came across so many long term smokers in their flats with blue oxygen cylinders, hardly able to breathe after a life of smoking, and my Mother died from lung cancer in '95 after a lifetime of it.

it is hard initially, but if you deal with the chemical shock, which manifests as a marked change in bodily and mental feeling, it will decay in the form of the discharge curve, and time goes so fast that it will not be long before you can count the months and years, and know that you are detoxing.

As was said to me in a personnel interview whilst at the Laboratory of the Government Chemist in 1975, regarding giving up sugar, it is a decision, not a fight. The concept of the addiction-fight perpetrates the concept of addiction. I have not had a Mars bar since that interview and stopped all sucrose. I stopped smoking dead.

vaping coheres with the concept of addiction, and it is also questionable health-wise.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I am (or was) one of those exasperating people who can stop and start smoking at will. For many years I would only smoke when on holiday, but found that I wasn't it enjoying as much as I once did. That, and the ever increasing price of a packet of fags, caused me to stop smoking; which I did straight away without any withdrawal difficulties.
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

So, an incentive like that will certainly help (I gave up for about 8 years after Sue got pregnant with our firstborn through to when the little one was about 3, and then it restarted as the “odd one” in the garden at bbq’s and went on from there...) good luck mate, it is hard but worthwhile.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm matt.

The thought of never smoking a fag again made the thought of packing it in very difficult, so I decided to allow myself a pack of fags every year on Christmas day. After months of no fags, I was so excited about Christmas day arriving and being able to smoke a lovely fag.
    I waited until after the kids opened their Christmas presents and then smoked that lovely fag - Felt sick as a dog and went to sleep for a few hours. That was 13 years ago and haven't smoked one since.

I'm Grant.

i tried one after about 8 weeks and flung it away; revolting. odd how you get hooked on unpleasant things. a electric menthol cig is much more pleasant and clears the tubes. vapers are way too strong
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm tony.

Im 11 years off smoking. Vaping good quality juice with a substantial rig like a smok makes a world of difference.

Buying juice and then adding the amount of nicotine to suit your needs is spot on.

Best of luck whatever path you choose.

I'm Steve.

Thank you everyone for your contributions on this, I feel incentivised

Mrs. P is going down the vaping route, and I'm fine with that - anything that will get her away from the cigs. I'm expecting (hoping!) that being able to put some money away each week will keep me motivated, I really want some new speakers!

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Im 11 years off smoking. Vaping good quality juice with a substantial rig like a smok makes a world of difference.

Buying juice and then adding the amount of nicotine to suit your needs is spot on.

Best of luck whatever path you choose.
    This is the kind of thing Mrs. P will be doing, and I know she will embrace the science of it, not just muddle through with the cheapest e-cig she can find.

Talk about thread drift - how did we get from spending money earmarked for an engagement ring on hifi to giving up fags

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Grant.

https://www.electrictobacconist.co.u...rter-kit-p7579

e cig wise these are good. menthol is better. you can get top cap off and the little plastic seal too and put e liquid in and put both back on. several times. just a bit at a time tho.. saves lots of money.

you can get better batteries of same fitting elsewhere which is what i do. just buy the hoxton tips now and then and e liquids.30 quids worth lasts an age.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast