+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CDs with Pre-Emphasis

I'm Geoff.

Can't say I've noticed any CD's not sounding right, whether recent or going back to the eighties. Mind you, my newest player is getting on for twenty years old.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

denon were biggest users of pre emphisis, and kept using it into 90's i believe. think as macca says, it was oft a japanese thing. and yes some early machines had a light on them
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Think it was 10db at the 10khz point added in the analogue domain. It was used to reduce noise, but a to d convertors by late 80's got so good it wasn't needed.
    Here's the EQ curve - it is 10dB but only at 20Khz:

I'd expect this to sound like you'd turned up the treble control on the amp. Not 'correct' but not a disaster either, might sound 'too bright' to some people on some systems.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

fair enough; the 10db stuck in my mind.. yup its a little bright, but orchestrations sound worst.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

It will change the sound from what was intended, no doubt about that. Trying to think if I do have any CDs from the 1980s that sound a bit thin and toppy, I might have a couple.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ok-de-emphasis

some info here including a ripper that compensates for it..

CD2WAV32 developed by M. Yanagisawa from Japan.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Unless they are marked, how would you know which CD's need correction applied?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Unless they are marked, how would you know which CD's need correction applied?
    most were not, so you would really need a machine with an indicator. there wont be many discs or machines that have the lamp around now anyway.
    its still part of the redbook tho.

it wouldnt surprise me if someone has made a list of them lol
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I can always use the tone controls .

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    it wouldnt surprise me if someone has made a list of them lol
    You may have missed OP's post above...

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    There's loads of them...

As a Factory Records fan I bought the first UK (made in Japan) Factory copy of New Order "Low-Life" on CD.

When years later I ripped it to Flac...

...it didn't sound right until I wrote a DOS batch file to process it with SOX to de-emphasize the Flacs.

71 pages of CDs with pre-emphasis here:-

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...s-list.121188/
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast