Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Degrees of Separation

I'm Dan.

Vivian?

I'm drunk.

I'm Dan.

lemmy features in the video to this song by Airbourne

I'm ChrisB.

Jimi Hendrix was a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division. Maybe that's where he learnt that it's good to have a Little Wing.

Jimi Hendrix - 'Little Wing'

This is the best version of that song - I always get shivers every time I hear it. It's also on 'Hendrix in the West'. Just brilliant.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hendrix first came to the UK public's attention with his hit 'Hey Joe'. This traditional folk song was first revisited by Tim Rose:

Barry

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Tim Rose was previously one-third of folk trio The Triumvirate, along with John Brown and Cass Elliot - eventually one of The Mamas & the Papas who's most famous song is probably California Dreamin'

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

The lyrics to California Dreamin' mention a preacher who likes the cold...........

Stopped into a church
    I passed along the way
    Well, I got down on my knees
    And I pretend to pray

You know the preacher likes the cold
    He knows I'm gonna stay
    California Dreamin'
    On such a winter's day

I wonder if the preacher was the Reverend Al Green. Good old Al must like the cold because in 1974, his girlfriend Mary Woodson White got a bit narky when he refused to marry her.

So she tipped a pan of hot grits over him when he was taking a shower, causing serious burns, then she committed suicide. That little lot would give you a bit of an aversion to high temperatures, I reckon!

It's probably a bit parky in that big ol' river too..........and Al likes it in the river..........

Al Green - 'Take Me To The River'

Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 30-08-2010 at 08:39.

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

OK, we're there now.

Groove Armada - At the River

(Any excuse to play one of my all time favourite tracks...)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Neil.

If you where "at the river" you might decide to go on the river and "sail away" The river might be the River Styx and Styx an American band had a song called "Come Sail Away"

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 30-08-2010 at 08:45.
    Regards Neil

I'm ChrisB.

Styx released a single in December 1990 called 'Show Me The Way'
    .........a song which spookily enough also includes the lyrics "Take me tonight to the river & wash my illusions away"

................anyway........... a song called 'Show Me The Way' was also a monster hit for Peter Frampton in '75/'76.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 81 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast