+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Degrees of Separation

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Degrees of Separation

Well, not sure if this will work, but let's give it a go...

Chris (The Grand Wazoo) was posting about 'Sunday at Devil Dirt' the album by Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - and like a lot of artists, it occurred to me that that there are lots of links between both these artists and others - so, the idea of this thread is to follow the previous post with another track, artist or album, with some sort of link (let's see how spurious they get!) - and explain why. Could be a "proper" link like X used to be in Y or something a bit more oblique.

So, if we start with Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan, we could go lots of directions, and I was going to go for one of my favourite (top 25 I reckon) chillout bands, Kinobe, and their 2004 album, Wide Open - Isobel sang vocals on a couple of tracks. But that's probably a bit mean for a first go!
    Instead, from Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan the fairly obvious connection is to Queens of the Stone Age who Mark sang with as sometime lead singer, and specifically I'll go with Song for the Dead.

Plenty of scope there - so, what's next?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm ChrisB.

OK,
    I'll go next......you could've made this thread just based on Mark Lanegan alone, he's worked on so many collaborations, it's untrue!

Right then:

Josh Homme, founder of Queens of the Stone Age, formed Them Crooked Vultures last year with 'some other people'.

I'm Dan.

Dave Grohl, from Them Crooked Vultures (and also played on the queens of the stone age album from the post before) formed a band called Probot, with loads of other musicians:

I'm drunk.

Dave Grohl also played drums on the Prodigys album Invaders Must Die.

Last edited by Techno Commander; 14-08-2010 at 16:38.

I'm Dan.

the prodigy famously sampled a track by Max Romeo

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Max Romeo's single "Wet Dream" was banned by BBC Radio in 1969, as was Frankie Goes To Hollywood with Relax in 1984

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Nick.

Relax was produced by Trevor Horn who also wrote, produced and performed on this classic, from 1981...

Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ChrisB.

Dollar were a group made up of two members, Thereza Bazar and David Van Day.

Other significant musical Vans might be:
    Van Morisson,
    Van der Graaf Generator,
    Van Halen,
    Vanessa Paradis

......and Camper Van Beethoven, whose debut single was called 'Take the Skinheads Bowling'

Looks like I'll have to have another go then...

Was going the Counting Crows route, as David Immerglück played guitar with Camper Van Beethoven before joining the Crows... then I thought we'd join "bowling" with Bowling for Soup, but no, let's go Electric Light Orchestra with Roll Over Beethoven

Alex

I'm ChrisB.

Electric Light Orchestra's first bassist was Mike de Albuquerque while in a purely coincidental, though hugely fortuitous turn of events, Prefab Sprout's single 'King of Rock 'n' Roll' featured the line:

"Hot Dog, Jumping Frog, Albuquerque"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast