+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JVC TT-71 and Jelco SA-750L

I'm Ian.

Default JVC TT-71 and Jelco SA-750L

I finished building this deck in December 2016 and has been totally reliable in that time. The vintage direct drive turntable unit is the JVC TT-7 and has worked faultlessly. It runs silently and the touch sensitive controls are a joy to use. Speeds at 45 and 33 run spot on. Cosmetically it is in very good condition with only one or two tiny marks on very close inspection. It came from a JVC QL-7 turntable which I bought with the intention of replinthing.

I made the plinth using Delignit MU25 a beech ply similar to Panzerholz in construction but compressed by 20% instead of Panzerholz's 50%.

It is a dIY effort so is not perfect but is very presentable. If you don't like the colour or chrome it would be relatively easy to modify.
    Between the 3 layers of MU25 are layers of standard birch ply, the whole thing being glued and screwed together. I used non-setting Green Glue (https://www.greengluecompany.com/) so you could remove the birch ply and the chrome inserts if required.

The tonearm is Jelco's 12" SA-750L with a few extras. Jelco don't supply a cable so this comes with an Audioquest Wildcat 1.5m tonearm cable. As well as the standard counterweight I'll include the heavy counterweight and Ammonite's extended mounting collar which provides more stability than the standard one provided by Jelco. This amounts to about £190 of worthwhile extras.

I would like £750 for the complete deck. Given the weight and bulk it's collection only from GL6. I will consider offers for the TT-71 unit and the Jelco arm without plinth if noone wants the whole thing. These could be posted.
    Thanks for looking.

I'm Ian.

Open to offers for all or part of this deck.

I'm Andy.

Looks great to my eyes, Ian, well done. Really very presentable for a DIY job and with a bit of effort and patience (some tooling might help, too) can easily be made into something very special.
    Got a JVC QL-7 myself, purchased 2 years ago from donmarrese of this very parish with the original plinth and lid in (still) superb condition, and the usual droop to the original UA-5045 tonearm. A very capable deck, your build must have taken the TT-71 drive at least a couple steps higher.

GLWS

I'm Ian.

Thanks Andy,
    I tried various plinth materials before settling on the MU25. There's a thread here about the build. https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...light=ianlenco

I have had a firm offer for the Jelco arm although I was hoping not to split them. Is anyone interested in the TT-71 deck with or without plinth. A great base for your own project. £350.

I'm Macklow.

The TT71 is indeed an excellent motor unit, and responds superbly to replinthing (if that's a word?) - it's also very reliable compared to some of its more exotic brethren (yes, I'm talking to you TT101...��) - GLWS etc - MH

I'm Mike.

Aesthetically one of the best looking motor units out there, gives endless design possibilities for plinths. Would be all over this but currently have a GR so not much point.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Ian.

Thanks Macklow and Mike, I totally agree In fact I'm beginning to wonder whether I should sell this or sell its replacement, a Clearaudio Performance SE. I bought the SE because it has a smaller footprint but I could modify the plinth and get what I want that way.

I'm Ian.

Withdrawn from sale.

I'm Andy.

Sounds like a good idea

Sent from my LM-V500 using Tapatalk

I'm Ian.

Back on sale. I've decided to stick with the Clearaudio. Although I don't think there is anything in it as far as sound quality goes it is prettier

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast