+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audiolab coming soon

I'm Paul.

Default Audiolab coming soon

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/644532.html

Just seen this courtesy of PFM. It seems John Westlake will be back with a bang. Don't particularly need a CD player myself, but the Pre/Dac is very interesting.
    Paul.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Link not working for me Paul.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Linky no worky?

I'm Chris.

Chris

Stuff

1. Linux PC with onboard HDA SB/ALC892 24/192 optical S/PDIF and/or USB > TC-7520 (Gator + LM4562NA) > Quad 306 > AVI Neutron 3
    2. Rotel RCD 965BX > TC-7520 ( Gator + LM4562NA) > Hd595
    3. Rpi B+/HifiDigi B+ (with isolation transformer) Running "SqueezeOnArch" - https://github.com/SqueezeOnArch
    Nonsense
    1. Belkin Pure AV (white) phono, Belkin Pure AV (silver) USB, QEd 79-strand speaker cable.
    2. MG belden digital co-ax

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

There's also a full ad on the back of this month's What HiFi? "Check Out That Rear" showing the connectivity. There's been a lot of buzz about it on other forums, and the "Q" at £900 (built in preamp) hooked up to a P (new 8200P coming soon?) would probably be a great compact system, if it sounds good... I love Audiolab kit, so will be very interested to see how these do.

EDIT: So as not to upset the active ppeaker fans, an 8200CDQ hooked up to a pair of actives would be even more compact, let alone any other possible benefits...
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 06-08-2010 at 10:49.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Awesome, I love my audiolab gear ! Shame i've got no money !!!
    Graham

From what I gather it's a CD player with a DAC in it and variable outputs. Is that correct or not?

I'm Nick.

Looks like its ticking a lot of boxes, Async USB, ESS DAC. £700 looks a good price as well if it delivers.
    Nick.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    From what I gather it's a CD player with a DAC in it and variable outputs. Is that correct or not?
    Or maybe a DAC with a CD player in it? Yes, pretty much, though I think only the Q version is a pre-amp too, with 3 analogue inputs, headphone amp (all class A). Both are based around an ESS Sabre DAC.

I find this really interesting:

The user can control the media player on his/her PC or Mac via the Audiolab remote, with the control signal transferred back to the computer via the USB port. This facility is driverless (in other words, it is built into the operating system) and is compatible with all media players -- Apple iTunes, Windows Media Player etc.

One of my biggest issues (not wanting to spend money on an iphone or touch) with computer audio is not having remote control.

I think it will tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people, and at £600/£900 is pretty competitive if it sounds as good as the blurb suggests...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Paul.

Sorry about the dysfunctional link guys, thanks for that Krisbee.

I don't really understand the reasoning behind including a CD player but from what I gather they consider it more a Dac/CD player, or at least that's the blurb. JW reckons it's the best Dac he's heard, but then he would. Implementing a Pre could swing it for a lot of people, I wonder how easy it will be to demo one though?

I'm also very interested in the remote concept Alex - controlling something like itunes via the unit remote. A great idea imo.
    Paul.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast