+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Listening near field

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Paul, your signature has to be the worst classified advert ever! So you're no longer a Zu keeper?
    I still have zu's so officially I am the keeper but they are for sale. Not sure what you mean by classified ad.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    This is what near field means to me.
    My head is 5ft from the front face of these babies.
    That set up has to sound special.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    That set up has to sound special.
    Oh it does.

In retirement I am fortunate to be able to indulge my passion for music and HiFi before I get too old or deaf. Retirement coincided with finding SW1X as a start up business less than an hour away and I finally discovered the sound quality I had searched for all my life.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Chris.

Luckily I've been able to enjoy my passion BEFORE returement (though now well into it!).
    When I tentatively started my Cafe business -as it became - in 1979, i hoped to be able to get a good stereo, and a Citroen DS23 out of it. Had them both within 3 years; still own the Hafler pre + Power amps, though the DS went to fund my house purchase.
    Nice to see the SW1X set up, Chris.
    Chris.

I'm Dennis.

"Interesting about pressurising the room which is what I was referring to in post #13 "

Yes Chris, but mainly of course at bass frequencies, at high the air mass presents itself as a greater impedance.

Small room big speakers - headphone-like.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    I still have zu's so officially I am the keeper but they are for sale. Not sure what you mean by classified ad.
    I was suggesting that if your speakers were for sale, hiding that fact at the end of your signature isn't likely to attract much attention
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Anto.

An interesting discussion . I have a modest Yamaha AS 500 amp ,with Tannoy dual concentric speakers , and I have ended up with them on a slanted foam matting on a parquay floor .
    They sit about 8ft away from the central point of my listening reclining chair , where my head is (I rarely recline it) and as they slant ,they fire the music striaght at my head height . I point the speakers towards my ears ,maybe just past towards the back of my head , but I am forever tweeking them so they are pointing across my nose as well !!
    Cant make my mind up wether to set them further away or what really ! But when the right track is on ,it bears no relation to headphones and is sweet as ever !! Maybe it depends on my mood and the volume ?
    I have an old Rel Q50 sub in the corner of the room to my left ,and it does put some body into the whold thing , but there are times I prefer just to hear the treble in all its clarity .

Its all low budget ,but still makes sense in the scheme of things !!
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    i have to due to room layout,it works for me,cant say ive noticed any downsides,i get a lovely centered soundstage.
    Second this
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I was suggesting that if your speakers were for sale, hiding that fact at the end of your signature isn't likely to attract much attention
    as I haven't found an easy way to post photos since photobucket went stupid, I haven't been able to post a for sale on here. They have been for sale on lenco heaven. Probably as well not to attract attention here as for sales without photos get pulled anyway.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Easy way to post photos:

https://imgur.com/upload - once you've dragged or browsed and uploaded the photo, just copy the link, come back to AoS and click the "insert image" button, (hover over them if it's not obvious) paste the link and you're done.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast