Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I've always assumed that to use the squeeze software you needed to have a physical squeezebox as a player endpoint. But from the most recent posts it seems that this is not the case, instead squeezebox software emulation is in some way possible? Is that correct?

If so I may give it a try.

What is the general overview please? Is it something like the following?

- Install server software. Which is?
- Install player software. Which is?
- Create an account at mysqeezebox. enable Tidal, spoty etc there?
- Login at the server and player apps relevant details above?
- What remote controller can I use on my phone or iPad?

Can this be operated over a LAN?

cheers.
Hi Edward, just a quick reply for now as I'm working, but yes, so far I have installed Logitech Media Server on my main music server, and then used Squeezelite-X as a software player (as well as SqueezePlay - which is almost an exact replica of an actual player's screen) onto two other laptops. I'm then able to stream around the LAN to the two other laptops. I had to buy an Android player (SB Player - around £4 I think) as couldn't find a free one for my mobile which I use in the kitchen with bluetooth speakers.

Spotify is quite easy to integrate, but the bit I'm struggling with is Tidal - which we are theorising might be the lack of physical players, as you don't appear to be able to log into the mysqueezebox account via the software players, although you can set it in the server settings.

But if all you want is a good free music server and soft players to use on either the server or other PCs it seems to work very well - one big advantage is that you can synchronise the players into a group and play the same on all of them at the same time - including Spotify, which has long been a bugbear of mine as I like to have the same music playing in different rooms/outside. I haven't tested this much though, so I am slightly sceptical in won't sync 100% until further playing.