+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synology NAS/Apple TV2/Beresford Bushmaster 2

I'm Derek.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Berghofer View Post
    Mike,

your assumption sounds quite plausible, but I think we’re talking about straight two channel stereo here. I’m not sure if a Beresford Bushmaster 2 DAC as used by Duffy/Derek is able to properly handle six channel digital audio surround.

I agree with you that Airplay audio works best when used via wired Ethernet instead of WiFi, which makes the name “Airplay” a little questionable and bizarre, doesn’t it? ;-)

Werner.
    Yes, sorry should have made that clear, my main demand is that it's great at playing old skool stereo music.

Anything 5.1 will be coming from my blue ray straight into the Anthem.

I'm Mike.

I actually dont think Airplay cares what content is streamed, have a look at this page:
    http://support.airserver.com/custome...audio-receiver
    Atb Mike

I'm Werner.

Derek,
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Yes, sorry should have made that clear, my main demand is that it's great at playing old skool stereo music.
    then you don’t have to worry about Airplay unintentionally deteriorating the audio quality, as long as your audio files do not exceed the the Redbook specifications.

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Werner.

Mike,
    Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    I actually dont think Airplay cares what content is streamed, have a look at this page:
    http://support.airserver.com/custome...audio-receiver
    hm, if I have a look at the page you linked, I *do* have the impression that Airplay actually distinguishes between stereo audio and the multi-channel audio part of digital video. However, I have no personal experience with streaming anything else but plain vanilla two channel stereo music to Airport Express destinations.

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Derek.

Mike,

hm, if I have a look at the page you linked, I *do* have the impression that Airplay actually distinguishes between stereo audio and the multi-channel audio part of digital video. However, I have no personal experience with streaming anything else but plain vanilla two channel stereo music to Airport Express destinations.

Werner.

Airport Express sound like a sensible shout then, anything apple gets past 'er indoors without any great issue

Thank you

I'm Mike.

Mike,

Werner.
    Ahem.. Yes, i was being extremely unclear!
    My text referred to the audio stream being sent to an AppleTV, which i believe will AAC-compress whatever you are sending, whether it is 5.1 DD or 2 channel stereo.

If you, on the other hand, direct a stream to an Airport Express i believe it will be converted into Apple Lossless @ 16bit/44.1khz.

Based on the now extinct White Paper from Apple and other statements from various sources including this one:
    Streaming to the audio-only part of AirServer also forces the iOS device to send audio in lossless quality as opposed to AAC compressed audio.
    But, like you guys, i dont have any experience with streaming multi channel audio through either of my Apple devices.
    (Well, iTunesMovies, Netflix and other apps on the AppleTV of course sends Dolby Digital over both HDMI and Toslink..)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12