+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3-PIN plug redesigned - thoughts?

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Might stop me standing on upturned plugs in the dark at 5 in the morning...

Nice.
    ouch!!!
    A...

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

When my wife was single, she used to leave upturned plugs around the house as booby-traps for burglars - until she realised burglars are very rarely (if at all?) polite enough to take off their shoes when ransacking your home! bless, and yes - she is blonde!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

This design is brilliant

I remember once I bought a very large connector block and wired everything to it. One plug, nice and tidy! I was totally shocked at how it changed the sound for the worse. And this wasn't a small change in sound, it was dramatically worse. So back to the extension leads/sockets sets, still ultimately all being fed from one 13amp plug/socket

P.s. This new plug design deserves to sell in the millions.

MartinT Guest

I strongly recommend Russ Andrews' silver fuses for 13A plugs. Gives a small but worthwhile improvement.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Are these plugs fused? Where is the fuse?

I like the idea of the neat multi-way adaptor.

Most of our (UK) plugs are designed so that the cable exits at right angles from the socket. This is deliberate; allowing the cable to fall to the ground neatly and the plug to be shallow so as to avoid a trip hazard and the opportunity for the plug to be knocked and damaged. Should the cable be yanked, the plugs are designed so that the live connection is broken first and the earth last.

In comparison with all other European mains plugs/sockets ours are far superior. Unfortunately these days you have to design for idiots, so the live and neutral pins of our plugs are now shrouded (preventing someone deliberately withdrawing the plug slightly and sticking a nail file or some such object across the pins), thus reducing the contact area with the socket.

The only criticism the EU has with our plugs is that when a plug is lying on the floor it is likely that it will lie with the pins facing upwards and present a hazard to those who walk around in stockinged feet. However in the spirit of 'equal inconvenience to all', the EU is trying to foist on us the horrid 16A plug and socket that you find on kettles and all hi fi gear!

The best BS1363 13A plug these days is made by Crabtree. MK went down hill years ago when they were bought out by Pillar.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Are these plugs fused? Where is the fuse?

I like the idea of the neat multi-way adaptor.

Most of our (UK) plugs are designed so that the cable exits at right angles from the socket. This is deliberate; allowing the cable to fall to the ground neatly and the plug to be shallow so as to avoid a trip hazard and the opportunity for the plug to be knocked and damaged. Should the cable be yanked, the plugs are designed so that the live connection is broken first and the earth last.

In comparison with all other European mains plugs/sockets ours are far superior. Unfortunately these days you have to design for idiots, so the live and neutral pins of our plugs are now shrouded (preventing someone deliberately withdrawing the plug slightly and sticking a nail file or some such object across the pins), thus reducing the contact area with the socket.

The only criticism the EU has with our plugs is that when a plug is lying on the floor it is likely that it will lie with the pins facing upwards and present a hazard to those who walk around in stockinged feet. However in the spirit of 'equal inconvenience to all', the EU is trying to foist on us the horrid 16A plug and socket that you find on kettles and all hi fi gear!

The best BS1363 13A plug these days is made by Crabtree. MK went down hill years ago when they were bought out by Pillar.

Hi Barry

Never tried CrabTree though I have heard for years that they are very good.

How was the holiday ?

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Look for the little red strip on the side. I think that's the fuse cap. Also, going from the design, what you say about the earth leaving the socket last would still be true in the multi-way design. Perhaps a locking mechanism for the multi-plug design would be a safety feature, though.
    Last edited by sburrell; 14-12-2009 at 23:33.
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123