+ Reply to Thread

Thread: technics SL-1210 DIY pocket money upgrades

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default technics SL-1210 DIY pocket money upgrades

I'm a bit loath to post yet another thread about the SL-1210, so apologies in advance. However this one is a bit different - and yes, I've read all the other 1210 threads but most of what has been posted in them is not applicable to my situation.

As I posted in my intro thread, long term illness means that I'm mostly confined to home. Another downside is that I have very little money left at the end of the month after the essentials are paid for - £20-£50 at most in a good month (and there's not many of those!). I really don't know how people on benefits can afford to live the high life or even go out drinking, I can't!

Anyway, the point is that my 1210 Mk2 is totally stock, with a Denon 160 cartridge which I love! Reading the threads here have made me again think of upgrading my 1210.

The good news is that I'm ok with a soldering iron and taking the deck apart, and I have a nice reel of silver solder gathering dust, and have a Hi-Fi News Test disc and a multi-meter. The bad news is that I don't know one end of a resistor from the other end of a capacitor, but can follow instructions if need be.

The cartridge is Baerwald aligned, and I took out the rubber washer between the headshell and arm years ago (I figured that one out for myself!)

Given a maximum budget of £20 - £50 for each upgrade, what would you suggest?
    Last edited by Kris; 05-12-2009 at 16:18.

+ Reply to Thread