+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mark Grant G1000HD Precision cables

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up New Mark Grant G1000HD Precision cables

I've taken delivery of these cables and have been assessing and comparing them for the last few days to Mark's standard £20 Canares. The G1000HDs are shown here:

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/in...dex&cPath=43_1

And here:

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/in...roducts_id=165

These new cables of Mark's are absolutely stunning (in the right system) and, IMO, set a new benchmark for what is capable with high quality copper-based cables...... The G1000HDs, quite simply, offer truly outstanding value for money!

Look out for a full review soon in S.O.G

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi Marco,

Are these the same cables that were used in JJ's cable test on Saturday?

Will you be giving us your thoughts on the cable testing session? I, and I'm sure JJ as well, would be interested in your views.

Cheers
    Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    I, and I'm sure JJ as well, would be interested in your views.
    Not to mention everyone else on AoS!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Hi Barry,

Yes they're the same ones

I'll be posting my thoughts on JJ's cable testing session tomorrow.

What I'm stating here though basically (and I will go into more detail in my review in S.O.G) is that the G1000HDs are markedly superior to the standard Canare type Mark sells for £20, and so are well worth the extra cost!

Rarely have I heard such a fundamental no-brainer upgrade from cables...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

now he tells me, just after I've "blown" £20 on the standard fair!

Well, it's only money, and the top of the range cable in most line-ups is considerably more expensive!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

The standard ones are superb, Alex.

However in a very revealing, synergistically-matched system, the G1000HDs come into their own in terms of sheer resolution, vanishingly low-noise, complete lack of detactable sonic signature and/or grain, and incredible musical insight into all recordings.

More later in the dedicated review!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The standard ones are superb, Alex.

However in a very revealing, synergistically-matched system, the G1000HDs come into their own in terms of sheer resolution, vanishingly low-noise, complete lack of detactable sonic signature and/or grain, and incredible musical insight into all recordings.
    I tend to find that a disadvantage of the product, rather than an improvement.
    The noise and graininess comes from the preceding source. In some equipment designs a resistor of 100 ohms or so is inserted in line with the audio signal in order to combat any oscillations etc in the signal transmission path. However, that resistance of 100 ohms also lowers the noise floor and makes it more difficult to detect any grain. This in turn creates a darker signal, and takes away some of the soundstage and ambiance.
    Coming back to a cable with such properties, if a cable with such properties is inserted in the path of a source with similar properties, the end result is a very dark output and almost washed out signal in the low dB range.

Hi Stan,

The noise and graininess comes from the preceding source.
    In some cases, yes; but in others noise and graininess are generated by the material properties and/or construction of the cable. I have heard this effect numerous times in inferior cables.

Everything from equipment to cables, to loudspeakers, imposes its own sonic signature, or 'character', on music reproduced by a hi-fi system. I prefer all examples of such to impart the least 'sound' as possible of their own on the recording/source signal. That, after all, is what hi-fi is about.

As far as cables are concerned, the Mark Grant G1000HDs do that job admirably - indeed they are amongst the best I've used in that respect

One must remember that in reality there is no such thing as a 'good' cable; merely ones which are 'less bad'.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm notAlone.

I've had two pairs of G1000HD cables since last Saturday.
    I will wait 'till I get a Croft pre (in a week or two) to thoroughly test the cables and give a more accurate impression.

At first test (last weekend) what I can say is : these are the most natural cables I've listened to, in the mid (low-mid and high-mid) frequencies. Voices and natural (especially wood) instruments are exceptional.
    But, of course, this was only the first test, and I'm very fussy with testing interconnects : I like having precise opinions on cables as there's too much hype involved. So, a first impression is always a good point, but a thorough A/B test (blind) is still better.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Over the standard £20 interconnects these G1000HDs remove even more background hash that adds distortion and brightness to the upper registers. The result of such removal is even more precise imaging and better resolution of harmonic detail and decay of notes into space.
    Voices in particular gain more presence and subtle vocal inflections are more easily heard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast