+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: English aluminium shell for Denon 103

Default English aluminium shell for Denon 103

I had a great surprise after changing the plastic body of my Denon 103 Pro with an aluminium body from the Analogue Factory in Haverhill, Suffolk
    The body is a CNC machined aluminium that fits very well to 103 (better then the wooden bodies).
    The sound improvements were great just as I rewired my tonearm: A larger sound stage, more depth, etc.
    The weight of the alu body is about 6 gram, the original plastic body 1,5.
    The benefits of the weight improvements for the tonearm/cartridge comnination are evident.
    Aluminium absorbs the resonances very well (it's used for many cantilevers).
    These aluminium bodies are similar to the ZU 103 that cost, of course, much more.
    Here are some links about ZU 103:
    Sterophile (they prefer here the Zu103 to Koetsu Black)
    http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcom...7zu/index.html
    6moons.audio:
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu14/denon.html

I just wanted to share here my impressions and suggest to all that want a new life to their 103.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Haverhill eh?

C'mon AlexUK, methinks we'll have some fairly local shopping to do
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm John.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Oooh yes, purple will match my room!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Though the odd colors, I had chosen the blank aluminium one.
    The one in blue is perfect for the Sumiko cloners! But I really don't understand why the red one costs more ... some Clash remembrance?
    Anyway it wasn't a practical jokes a 103 with this body sounds really good.

I'm King.

I have also bought a blue one from Analogue Factory but I 'll have to find time and patience to fit my 103R into it, may be next week.
    King

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Historicus View Post
    I had a great surprise after changing the plastic body of my Denon 103 Pro with an aluminium body from the Analogue Factory in Haverhill, Suffolk
    The body is a CNC machined aluminium that fits very well to 103 (better then the wooden bodies).
    The sound improvements were great just as I rewired my tonearm: A larger sound stage, more depth, etc.
    The weight of the alu body is about 6 gram, the original plastic body 1,5.
    The benefits of the weight improvements for the tonearm/cartridge comnination are evident.
    Aluminium absorbs the resonances very well (it's used for many cantilevers).
    These aluminium bodies are similar to the ZU 103 that cost, of course, much more.
    Here are some links about ZU 103:
    Sterophile (they prefer here the Zu103 to Koetsu Black)
    http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcom...7zu/index.html
    6moons.audio:
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zu14/denon.html

I just wanted to share here my impressions and suggest to all that want a new life to their 103.
    How does it fit better than the wood bodies like the ones from Uwe?
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Neal, for these matters: 1) the CNC cut; 2) aluminium is malleable and more steady then wood; 3) the inside of the wooden bodies is empty. The alu body has two "spools" inside; 4) alu is more elastic (7 kp/mm2) and this has a good effect on resonances between cartridge and vinyl record; 5)alu is heavy as the heaviest wooden (panzer) body.

Anyway the seller from Haverhill could do his job better because milling was done in a very quick way to produce more bodies in less time. With a fine sand paper it was easy to correct it.

I'm Ralph.

The Zu version has a clear (dental?) compound of some sort as well which I assume is there to provide extra damping. No way of knowing how this affects the final sound but it must do something.

Cheers

I'm Neal.

I've added extra damping to the yoke on mine as well, it does make a small improvement. Historicus, I think the Uwe bodies are also CNC cut....certainly the Panz version I have is very accurate in its cuts....what do you mean by 'spools'? The inside of my Uwe body looks very similar to the one in the 6moons review, I'm not questioning your points but your post seems to imply these are better than a wood version because they are Ali and CNC cut....that surley is subjective and only an opinion
    Last edited by NRG; 24-10-2009 at 11:09.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast