+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nobel Peace Prize...?

I'm Shaun.

Whilst he's at it, why not introduce the UK's gun laws...??? That should be good for a laugh. They never worked here...!

I'm Ralph.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Whilst he's at it, why not introduce the UK's gun laws...??? That should be good for a laugh. They never worked here...!
    Not judging by your avatar no....

I'm ChrisB.

Shaun,
    Until very recently, I've been the owner of various types of firearms (for legal purposes) since I was in my teens, so I'm not anti-gun per se. But I'm firmly of the opinion that if ever there was a place that needed tighter gun controls, it's the US.

Our laws used to be fine, but they weren't properly enforced. Now they're just silly. A state of affairs that came about as usual by knee jerk reactions to rare occurences.

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Our laws used to be fine, but they weren't properly enforced. Now they're just silly. A state of affairs that came about as usual by knee jerk reactions to rare occurences.
    Actually Chris, (I have a bit of background here) I think our laws were always pretty good, well inforced and generally complied with by the majority of gun owners. The knee jerk you correctly identify was post Dunblane which resulted in thousands of law abiding hand gun shooting enthusiasts having to surrender their weapons. There were alot of disappointed Police Officer enthusiasts that got caught up in that nonsence.

Of course all such law does nothing but restrict the freedom of the law abiding accountable citizen. Those who remain unaccountable will continue to source their firearms illegally. The change in gun legislation had zero impact on the use of guns by criminals and we have seen a steady increase in criminal use over several years. Accountability is the key. All our laws of this nature automatically presumes accountability as a base line. That presumption will never apply to the criminal per se, hense the very law intended to prevent criminality, falls down at the first hurdle. It becomes a useless bit of legislation which has achieved nothing more than spoiling freedom for many responsible citizens. It makes my blood boil and I personally have no interest in firearms. I do however care about freedom for the law abiding people in our country!

It's just a variation on the laws on vehicle taxation. Every owner is expected to register and tax their car. However, if you don't register your ownership, there is every likelihood your evasion of tax will be successful. It's 'Pants' don't you think?

Regards,

Greg
    Last edited by Cotlake; 21-10-2009 at 20:45. Reason: expansion of content

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Actually Chris, (I have a bit of background here) I think our laws were always pretty good, well inforced and generally complied with by the majority of gun owners. The knee jerk you correctly identify was post Dunblane which resulted in thousands of law abiding hand gun shooting enthusiasts having to surrender their weapons.
    Well I remember Newbury, the same thing happened then, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    There were alot of disappointed Police Officer enthusiasts that got caught up in that nonsence.

Of course all such law does nothing but restrict the freedom of the law abiding accountable citizen. Those who remain unaccountable will continue to source their firearms illegally. The change in gun legislation had zero impact on the use of guns by criminals and we have seen a steady increase in criminal use over several years. Accountability is the key. All our laws of this nature automatically presumes accountability as a base line. That presumption will never apply to the criminal per se, hense the very law intended to prevent criminality, falls down at the first hurdle. It becomes a useless bit of legislation which has achieved nothing more than spoiling freedom for many responsible citizens. It makes my blood boil and I personally have no interest in firearms. I do however care about freedom for the law abiding people in our country!

It's just a variation on the laws on vehicle taxation. Every owner is expected to register and tax their car. However, if you don't register your ownership, there is every likelihood your evasion of tax will be successful. It's 'Pants' don't you think?
    I agree completely, we were by definition, among the most law abiding members of society!

I'm Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    Well I remember Newbury, the same thing happened then, too.
    Yep, so do I. Infact I completed a 180 mile in 18 hour cycle ride with a bunch of my colleagues to raise money for the affected families. It was hard work but did have it's novelty. Starting in Bristol and working our way from main Police Station to station through the county, we were making uphill progress out of Taunton towards Yeovil when a nice young lady in a passing car chose to nip the bums of the whole cycling team as she passed. At a time when we all felt particularly fatigued, this was a significant boost to our moral

Regards,

Greg

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I was a handgun club member/shooter too, (my first wife's father was an armed response officer, and got me interested in it) - and IMHO the laws banning them were a complete waste of time - there are probably more guns on the street than there ever were, and absolutely no record now of where any of them are - and in any case, guns (like knives, or baseball bats or spoons) don't kill people...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm notAlone.

Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123