+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In avoidance of the naughty step!

I'm Chris.

Default In avoidance of the naughty step!

Hi

Here's some rushed pictures to comply with the Grand Wazoo's suggestions - the naughty step sounded cold and my mum always said I'd get 'bottom problems' if I sat on cold steps.

Full system - bit blurry, can and will do better later on

Speakers in the mist - well lens flare actually

electronics

systemdek

A60 - was black ash until I got it - needs one more application of beeswax - sounds great, is a late model

A60 no 2 - early model, not touched yet needs new smoothing caps (burst)

downstairs

No doubt you'll have noticed tidyness is not my strongpoint!. Because we have pets, and I like to look after my stuff, the main system is built into a wardrobe which is fastened to the wall, so no footfall problems. The Focals are covered when not in use, and the front room is closed if we're not in it.
    In the new year I'm re-configuring the upstairs to make a better listening environment - I'm planning to keep a log of this, and will try out some room treatments as part of the process
    regards C
    Chris

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Chris,

Nice pics. Could you embed them so that they appear automatically rather than having to go through a link?

{Edit: s'ok, I've done it for you}

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Marco

Thanks - I should've read the excellent guide to embedding photo's in the stickies...

I've always thought posting pictures to forums was a bit hit and miss - I can now see where I was going wrong

Chris
    Chris

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

great systems there, although the flexible cartridge mounting on the Systemdek goes against my Linn conditioning - coupling the cartridge TIGHT to the tonearm to maximise energy conversion into electrical signals.

Having said the above, I've found that by adding a lead "cartridge" weight to the "microphonic" MM carts I have seems to minimise the handling "noises" on some cartridges I own.. As long as the counterweight can balance this weight out I don't have warp-wobble issues - the loaded M3D/N21 is amazing in this respect, even with added mass.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

Its more tidy than my house!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

Marco

Thanks - I should've read the excellent guide to embedding photo's in the stickies...

I've always thought posting pictures to forums was a bit hit and miss - I can now see where I was going wrong
    No worries, Chris. It's all part of the service! Incidentally, you no longer have to type "Chris" at the end of your posts as it's been added to your signature

Love the A60, btw!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Very nice kit, Chris. Is that one of those robotic cleaners in the downstairs pic? I've always thought they are cool, well, for a hoover! I need a replacement amp for my study system, I keep thinking A60 - they're still so cheap, and I want something compact - you obviously like them!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

They're damn good, Alex. A few minor updates to caps and resistors inside would probably see it outperform most modern designs up to about £500, possibly more.

It's a veritable classic

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nick.

Interesting looking system Chris. And is that a copy of the Nick Drake 'Fruit Tree' box in the first pic? You lucky chappy.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The A60 always was a good amp, retail price and quaint styling eventually killing it off in favour of the Creeks, Nads and Cyrus models that came after, not forgetting the slightly dearer Onyx and Ion amps so beloved of the first wave of flat-earthers.

As Marco says, it responds well to cap updates etc and Rob Holt has given chapter and verse on PFM how to do it.

£600 is what the A60 would cost now, but I don't know how much better the equivalent Rotels, Creeks and Cambridges are. the latter amps are hugely good at what they do though.

If you all love the A60 as I do, check out any Myryad MI120's that come along. Same designer, similar warmth of tone, tons more power and an add-on phono stage of good quality option. We loved the styling too and the amp was as safe as houses with short circuits etc, unlike the A60, the output tranny's of which protecting their fuses by blowing first.........

Good make Myryad - came along a few years too late to become the classic it should have done. I believe they're still trading but don't know much more than a recent glowing review in HFW on their all-in-one system..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast