+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A couple of pics...

I'm Shaun.

Default A couple of pics...

More self indulgent stuff from my earlier days. I always did like the RAF Phantom as it was based just down the road from me at RAF Coningsby but my favourite was the Lightning as I lived but ten miles from end of RAF Binbrook's runway.

I was truly lost when the government closed RAF Binbrook as I spent my early days shooting hundreds of slides of the Lightning and watched it on many an occasion. RIP... F6

I'm Shaun.

Here's a couple more...

My word Shaun- fabulous images.
    Varun

I'm Neil.

Love the photos particularly the first and the Sea Buccaneer.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Ahh, the Buccaneer, first Airfix model I ever built! Great pics Shaun, just need a Kenny Loggins or Harold Faltermeyer track now and we're well sorted! (How the **** did 80's popstars get away with such normal names like Kenny & Harold?!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Ahh, the Buccaneer, first Airfix model I ever built! Great pics Shaun, just need a Kenny Loggins or Harold Faltermeyer track now and we're well sorted! (How the **** did 80's popstars get away with such normal names like Kenny & Harold?!)
    Hey, I also spent most of my youth building Airfix and Revell kits. The most ridiculous was a Boeing B52 Stratofortress at 1/72 scale. It was bloody huge...! My fave kits were Lightnings especially a little Tamiya 100th scale F6 which I did in all silver finish. The decals were for a 5th Squadron version which at the time, was based at RAF Binbrook.

My God, Kenny Loggins and Harold Faltermeyer... how dreadful...!!!

I'm Shaun.

Here's one of my favourite English Electric Lightning F6 which by the time it became the F6 was actually British Aerospace. It was one of the only aircraft in the World to be sat on its tail about ten feet off the ground and reheated to 55,000 feet in under one minute. To see this was truly amazing and they sometimes did it for show at RAF Binbrook airshows.

Unfortunately, at full reheat, the Lightning could only fly for six minutes on internal fuel. It used 200 gallons of aviation fuel a minute.

I'm Shaun.

Panavia Tornado ADV Prototype just taking off from RAF Waddington around 1980.

I'm Shaun.

Here is a shot of a British Aerospace Lightning F Mk3 pulling serious G over RAF Binbrook late in the year around 1980. It was taken using a Pentax ME with a Vivitar 70-210 Series One zoom and Agfa 50S slide film. Back in the days before in built motordrives, I only got the one shot.

I'm Neil.

Hi Guys

Airfix kits now we are going back. I used to build kits too Airfix, Matchbox, Aurora, Monogram, Revel, AMT, etc.

However I always thought some of the Airfix kits were not very clean in their detail. I now know thats because the molds had been used to death (similar to vinyl being repressed again and again, the molds get tired).

I preferred Matchbox models because they went together better and the detail was always sharp. The like of the Jap model brands when I was a child were very esoteric and dear.

Thought you might like to see bits from this book about 50 years of Airfix.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast