+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Twonky Beam - could be useful for some of you?

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Twonky Beam - could be useful for some of you?

http://www.twonkymedia.com/beam/

Twonky Media (I use their music server software as it was the only one I could find that worked with all my devices, i.e. XBOX360, PS3, SoundBridge) have just released this neat IE plugin - basically, it allows you to "push" media (audio, video, images) from a website on your PC to any of your networked devices (in my case, most practical use is surfing on laptop which is not connected to my hifi - if I find a track on say Last.fm I can send it to the SoundBridge which IS connected to the hifi. Depending on what you've got connected, you could for example send YouTube videos to a wireless "photo frame".

Might be useful for someone, and its free, so have a play!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Confused.

Hi Alex,
    Just dowloaded, scanned and installed this plugin but can't figure how to make it work - no desk top icon and clicking on the files when I 'Search' for Twonky achieves nothing - can you help please?
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Alex_UK is online now Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Dave - go to View - then Explorer Bars and there should be a TwonkyMedia option at the bottom?
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 26-09-2009 at 16:30.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Confused.

Hi Alex,
    Thanks for that - got it going now but .....
    It appears only to work for mp3 music files - is that so or am I missing something again? .
    I have to really turn up the volume on my amp to get a decent sound - have you found the same?
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Not noticed the volume issue Dave, but only used it with the SoundBridge - not sure what device you are sending to?

According to the FAQ, these are the files supported:

Audio - MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV
    Photo - JPEG and most other image formats
    Video - MPEG2, WMV, MP4, FLV, M4V, AVI, ASF, MPEG, MPG, F1V, F4V

But I saw a response on the forum from their product manager that they are currently working on FLAC support...
    Alex

I'm Confused.

Thumbs up

Thanks again Alex,
    Hope they succeed with the FLAC upgrade, then it really will be much more useful I believe.
    My modus operandi is; -
    On Netbook, download music file from recommended site.
    On main PC (coupled to 7520 via USB) download and install TwonkeyBeam Media Manager.
    Set everything for playback from PC and then stream (or Beam ) music file from netbook to TB Media Manager and play.
    Full route is netbook to PC to 7520 to amp to speakers.
    At normal listening volume ( 9 o'clock on amp) nothing is heard but turning it up to around 2 o'clock makes it listenable.
    Thanks again,
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Dave - go to View - then Explorer Bars and there should be a TwonkyMedia option at the bottom?
    This works. If you want the Beam icon to always appear, you can also right click in the Internet Explorer command bar and uncheck the Lock the Toolbars option. Then drag the slider to the left of the Home button to expand the number of items in the command bar. And finally, when you’re finished, right click in the Internet Explorer command bar again and check the Lock the Toolbars option.

BTW: I'm the Product Manager for Beam, so if you have any questions or requests, just let me know. As someone else noted, we'll have FLAC support in our next major release. There are other improvements in the new update which is now available on the download page listed above.

- Rick
    Last edited by rickschwar; 30-09-2009 at 20:18.

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by rickschwar View Post
    This works. If you want the Beam icon to always appear, you can also right click in the Internet Explorer command bar and uncheck the Lock the Toolbars option. Then drag the slider to the left of the Home button to expand the number of items in the command bar. And finally, when you’re finished, right click in the Internet Explorer command bar again and check the Lock the Toolbars option.

- Rick
    Hi Rick,
    Thanks for that - as posted above I don't think it's going to be of much interest to me until it will play FLAC files, but thanks anyway - filed for future reference.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:

+ Reply to Thread